Old 10-30-2010, 03:20 PM   #921
AdamWathan
Human being with feelings

Alright so here's some quick no audio demos of the two actions...

Crop to Selection

Trim to Fill Selection

The first one is really braindead and simple, it's honestly like 10 lines of code because most of it is handled natively by the "trim items to selected area" action. All I added was the ability to trim to and from the edit cursor depending on what half of the item the cursor is placed in.

The second one I had to code from scratch but it works great, works on multiple selections and stuff. The second one does not ever "crop" anything ever, it only ever fills. I didn't add "trim to edit cursor" while the edit cursor is outside of the item for that action because I don't see the point, it's cumbersome and slow since you can't efficiently place the edit cursor without losing the item selection anyways, but I might add it if enough people think it's worth it.

Will probably be committing this stuff tonight or tomorrow along with the fix for that fade action. Don't want to make Tim do so many builds for me in one day, heh...
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #922
musicbynumbers

Just watched them, they look pretty amazing! can't wait to test them out.

The power you are giving us is going to turn us all into megalomaniacs! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post

Crop to Selection

Trim to Fill Selection

The first one is really braindead and simple, it's honestly like 10 lines of code because most of it is handled natively by the "trim items to selected area" action. All I added was the ability to trim to and from the edit cursor depending on what half of the item the cursor is placed in.

The second one I had to code from scratch but it works great, works on multiple selections and stuff. The second one does not ever "crop" anything ever, it only ever fills. I didn't add "trim to edit cursor" while the edit cursor is outside of the item for that action because I don't see the point, it's cumbersome and slow since you can't efficiently place the edit cursor without losing the item selection anyways, but I might add it if enough people think it's worth it.

Will probably be committing this stuff tonight or tomorrow along with the fix for that fade action. Don't want to make Tim do so many builds for me in one day, heh...
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:09 PM   #923
foxAsteria

hey there, im putting lots of miles on your extensions over here in my custom action list, so thanks for making your work available!

dunno if this is the place to make a little FR, but I've been working on a set of custom actions based on where i happen to be pointing the mouse since i discovered the action to select items and tracks under the mouse. it promises to really speed up workflow but i have a little problem: id like to be able to toggle mute/solo for the track under the mouse but also respect a multiple track selection if there is one. so far i cant find a way to make this possible. i thought the action to "set last touched track to match track selection" would do the trick, but it doesn't seem to do what i thought it would... well actually im not too sure exactly what it does do.

anyway, the one thing i keep thinking is it would be a piece of cake if there was also an action to select the track under the mouse (keeping current track selection), much like youve got such an action when selecting items.

yea, so if you ever have a minute and think its worthwhile, would be really cool if you could add something like that to your extensions.

Thanks
Old 10-30-2010, 10:43 PM   #924
sws
Code Monkey

Hey PooFox (hard to say without laughing!),

So you're saying:
If your mouse cursor is over a non-selected track toggle mute/solo on only that track;
Or, if your mouse cursor is over a selceted track, toggle mute/solo on all the selected tracks.

Correct?

Btw, correct place for SWS FR's is in my issue tracker, link in my sig below.
sws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #925
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws View Post

So you're saying:
If your mouse cursor is over a non-selected track toggle mute/solo on only that track;
Or, if your mouse cursor is over a selceted track, toggle mute/solo on all the selected tracks.

Correct?

I think the most all encompassing approach would be just to add "select track under mouse cursor (adding to previous selection)". That could be used to build macros for this sort of thing that respect multiple item selections. In this case for example it would simply be:

"Select track under mouse (adding to previous selection)"
"Toggle mute for selected tracks"

You could assign that to "shift+M" for example (shift indicating that it will add to the previous selection) and "M" would be just "Select track under mouse, mute track".
Old 10-31-2010, 12:09 AM   #926
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws View Post

So you're saying:

Correct?

sort of. the guy posting above seems to get the idea, though im not quite sure how his idea is any different from mine other than in syntax. well anyways, the behavior you describe would be fine. but i like having solo commands be exclusive, so i was using a track invert to unsolo the tracks outside the selection, in addition to toggling the selection. but yes, if the mouse is outside the selection, it should create a new selection, otherwise we'll eventually be adding all the tracks to the selection... that what youre getting at? guess i didnt consider that part. guess you must have some idea on how to achieve it too? so do you want me to post in the official place then for an FR?

btw PooFox Pyrocraptor MD was never meant to be too serious a moniker...
Old 10-31-2010, 10:44 AM   #927
musicbynumbers

Hi Adam, can't wait for your new uber trim and fill actions!

Was just wondering if you could see any reason to have two versions of the "trim to fill" action, one normal (like in the video) and one that time stretches? could be very useful.

We already have a kind of command for this but it is not intelligent and also stretches the left side to fit the start of the time selection regardless but yours would be intelligent.

What you think?

Quote:

Crop to Selection

Trim to Fill Selection

Old 10-31-2010, 11:19 AM   #928
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post

Was just wondering if you could see any reason to have two versions of the "trim to fill" action, one normal (like in the video) and one that time stretches? could be very useful.

We already have a kind of command for this but it is not intelligent and also stretches the left side to fit the start of the time selection regardless but yours would be intelligent.

What you think?
Yeaaaah I can do that I guess :P
Old 10-31-2010, 04:30 PM   #929
vseanv

Is it possible to do an SWS action or modifier that would add an effect to all selected tracks? Or does that have to be a feature of Reaper? One of the main things I am missing from protools is adding, bypassing and taking off effects from multiple tracks at once.. One example is a plugin like steven slate virtual console collection.. I know I could have it as my default track setup but adding it after the fact is much more in tune with my work flow and the ability to have it on all tracks and bypass it on all tracks with one click would be amazing!! I'd also love to be able to cascade track outputs to my soundcards outs or change the output of many tracks at once... Apologies if any of these are doable and I am just a noob.

Sean
vseanv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:18 PM   #930
semiquaver

brilliant work all .. @ Adam Wathan: could we have a conditional record action to 'overdub item' if an item is selected?? pretty pleeze...
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:55 PM   #931
musicbynumbers

Welcome

There are sws actions (aka key commands) for bypassing and offlining the fx of selected tracks already also you should read up on sws snapshots and sws fx list for doing the things you want. There is a sws manual on the standing water website too.

hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vseanv View Post
Is it possible to do an SWS action or modifier that would add an effect to all selected tracks? Or does that have to be a feature of Reaper? One of the main things I am missing from protools is adding, bypassing and taking off effects from multiple tracks at once.. One example is a plugin like steven slate virtual console collection.. I know I could have it as my default track setup but adding it after the fact is much more in tune with my work flow and the ability to have it on all tracks and bypass it on all tracks with one click would be amazing!! I'd also love to be able to cascade track outputs to my soundcards outs or change the output of many tracks at once... Apologies if any of these are doable and I am just a noob.

Sean
Old 10-31-2010, 05:56 PM   #932
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Yeaaaah I can do that I guess :P
thanks Adam! much appreciated, would be up for donating to you as well as more to Tim and Jeffos when my paypal account is re-sorted out!
Old 10-31-2010, 07:00 PM   #933
AdamWathan

Okay added this stuff:

"SWS/AdamWathan: Record Conditional (normal, time sel or item sel)"
"SWS/AdamWathan: Record Conditional (normal/time sel/item sel, automatically group simultaneously recorded items)"

"SWS/AdamWathan: Trim selected items to selection or cursor (crop)"
"SWS/AdamWathan: Trim selected items to fill selection"

... just have to wait until the next build is online to try it out

@musicbynumbers: I have a donation account here:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=Q77LUQFTD47WL

...but don't feel obligated, I do this stuff to make working in Reaper easier for me and I enjoy it!

Last edited by AdamWathan; 10-31-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:10 PM   #934
AdamWathan

Quote:

What you think?
"SWS/AdamWathan: Stretch selected items to fill selection"

http://www.adamwathan.com/reaper/trim/stretchfill.swf

Old 10-31-2010, 08:24 PM   #935
semiquaver

@Adam OK you officially rock...
Quote:
"SWS/AdamWathan: Record Conditional (normal, time sel or item sel)"
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:06 PM   #936
BenK-msx

Quote:
"SWS/AdamWathan: Stretch selected items to fill selection"

http://www.adamwathan.com/reaper/trim/stretchfill.swf

neato...
i know we had stretch on import stuff but this is nice, inc. right/left of center means only right/left is stretched. yum.

i think Adam has an idea as to how god damn sexy he now is so lets stop saying before he becomes a diva or something!
Old 10-31-2010, 09:18 PM   #937
AdamWathan

v1.8.3 #1 is online, get it while it's hot gents.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:30 PM   #938
Bevosss

Quote:
Mad stuff! Thanks Adam, seems to be working great here so far.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:58 PM   #939
JHughes
Banned

So many options, so little time. Geoff could write a whole book on using just these actions.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:04 AM   #940
vseanv

Quote:
Welcome

There are sws actions (aka key commands) for bypassing and offlining the fx of selected tracks already also you should read up on sws snapshots and sws fx list for doing the things you want. There is a sws manual on the standing water website too.

hope that helps.
Ahhhh, ok cool, apologies I didn't already check that out.

Thanks so much for your help!!! Really really appreciate it.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:14 AM   #941
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vseanv View Post
Ahhhh, ok cool, apologies I didn't already check that out.

Thanks so much for your help!!! Really really appreciate it.

Don't apologise!

There's a lot reaper does and you can't be expected to know it all straight away. Reaper has a great forum for getting stuff answered. Most importantly though, I love being able to answer "yes, reaper can do that!" as it reminds me I made the right choice in DAW! lol
Old 11-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #942
musicbynumbers

Quote:
woo hoo!

Trying it out now!

I so badly wish I could change that conditional record on all my external devices (like alphatrack or automap stuff), maybe if I ask devs nicely

And will donate something because it makes my life easier too!

(just still waiting for a record company to sort out an accidental "re-extraction" of funds that has put my paypal account in the negative, I'm loathed to add funds to it until they do)
Old 11-01-2010, 01:05 AM   #943
vseanv

Quote:
Don't apologise!

There's a lot reaper does and you can't be expected to know it all straight away. Reaper has a great forum for getting stuff answered. Most importantly though, I love being able to answer "yes, reaper can do that!" as it reminds me I made the right choice in DAW! lol
Very true say! and I love how it gets better by the day!!! I definitely feel lucky to have such a unique piece of software and be part of a transparent and honest community unlike most other commercially available software that limit their communication with users to press releases and never really having open discussions about how to make the tools better and easier to use.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:16 AM   #944
musicbynumbers

Default "trim selected items to fill selection"

Adam just tested all your new lovely actions and very impressed! I turned the stretch trim one into a custom action that would also split at the time selection before stretching which is handy

As for "trim selected items to fill selection", any reason why (if there is no time selection) that the selected items cannot be made to "fill" to the edit cursor as well?

This is kind of how Nuendo does it and it works quite well but perhaps you found a problem with it?
Old 11-01-2010, 05:57 AM   #945
AdamWathan

Quote:
Adam just tested all your new lovely actions and very impressed! I turned the stretch trim one into a custom action that would also split at the time selection before stretching which is handy

As for "trim selected items to fill selection", any reason why (if there is no time selection) that the selected items cannot be made to "fill" to the edit cursor as well?

This is kind of how Nuendo does it and it works quite well but perhaps you found a problem with it?
The reason I didn't add it is because when you click outside of an item to place the edit cursor, you lose the item selection. You then either have to ctrl+click the item to select it without moving the cursor, or select the item and place the cursor in the timeline instead.

I can add it though just need to figure out one thing... Should it consider other selected items between the edge and the edit cursor? For example...

Here:

Should you get this...

Or this...
Old 11-01-2010, 06:23 AM   #946
musicbynumbers

Ah I have mine set up differently so didn't see that situation. I also like having this and fade set up as a custom action with "place edit cursor at mouse position" to make it easier. I also add save and restore edit cursor and select item under mouse (without un selecting others) to get most situations working.

If your up for adding it, the latter (bottom pic) would be great way of doing it for items on different tracks but I see the dilemma for items horizontal next to each (like photo two) any way of getting it to be intelligent and ignore the scenario in pic two and only do the last item but if they are on separate tracks do all?

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 11-01-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:49 AM   #947
AdamWathan

Quote:
Ah I have mine set up differently so didn't see that situation. I also like having this and fade set up as a custom action with "place edit cursor at mouse position" to make it easier. I also add save and restore edit cursor and select item under mouse (without un selecting others) to get most situations working.

If your up for adding it, the latter (bottom pic) would be great way of doing it for items on different tracks but I see the dilemma for items horizontal next to each (like photo two) any way of getting it to be intelligent and ignore the scenario in pic two and only do the last item but if they are on separate tracks do all?
Yup can do that!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:04 AM   #948
timlloyd

siiiick

How do you find the time Adam?
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:22 AM   #949
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Yup can do that!
Thanks!

Be careful yes man! were a hungry bunch! (just ask Tim and Jeffos)
Old 11-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #950
AdamWathan

Quote:
v1.8.4 #1 (November 1, 2010)

New actions:

* SWS/AdamWathan: Enable/Disable/Toggle metronome during playback
* SWS/AdamWathan: Enable/Disable/Toggle metronome during recording
* SWS/AdamWathan: Enable/Disable/Toggle count-in before playback
* SWS/AdamWathan: Enable/Disable/Toggle count-in before recording

Also, "SWS/AdamWathan: Trim selected items to fill selection or fill to cursor" and "SWS/AdamWathan: Stretch selected items to fill selection or fill to cursor" now fill to the cursor in addition to the time selection
Thanks for posting the build SWS!
Old 11-02-2010, 01:09 AM   #951
Bevosss

Quote:
The reason I didn't add it is because when you click outside of an item to place the edit cursor, you lose the item selection. You then either have to ctrl+click the item to select it without moving the cursor, or select the item and place the cursor in the timeline instead.

I can add it though
Just wanted to add Adam (for those who don't know), you can place the cursor anywhere without losing the item selection, like this:

1. using the middle button, with the scrub pref disabled (shift activates scrub in this case)...or,
2. using a key command for 'move edit cursor to mouse cursor'

I was wondering if you or Tim could hijack that middle mouse button functionality again ala zoom, and make Win-left click place the edit cursor without altering selection? I can already do this now with autohotkey, but it's always better native (or sws)...and of course others can then use it too.

Actually even further thinking, if dragging with it gave you marquee and time selection as well, that's then a very useful one-key modifier.

Watcha think?
Old 11-02-2010, 05:39 AM   #952
mim

Quote:
make Win-left click place the edit cursor without altering selection? I can already do this now with autohotkey, but it's always better native (or sws)...and of course others can then use it too.
+1 this would be so nice left click to place edit cursor ! Awesome combination with adam's fade/trim action
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #953
AdamWathan

Some new stuff from me... Just a couple editing related toggles for stuff that is buried in the preferences that might be handy to have more readily available. I've got this stuff in the "Options" menu or on the toolbar now, much better!

Quote:
v1.8.5 #1 (November 2, 2010)

New actions:

* SWS/AW: Enable/Disable/Toggle relative editing when resizing item edges
* SWS/AW: Enable/Disable/Toggle clear time selection on click in arrange
* SWS/AW: Enable/Disable/Toggle clear loop points on click in ruler

Also renamed all actions to "SWS/AW" to make them easier to read in actions list
window.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #954
AdamWathan

@Bevoss: The mouse click stuff is way beyond what I am able to do at the moment, better off bugging SWS about that stuff He already knows what he's doing, I'm figuring this stuff out as I go along, haha...
Old 11-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #955
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Some new stuff from me... Just a couple editing related toggles for stuff that is buried in the preferences that might be handy to have more readily available. I've got this stuff in the "Options" menu or on the toolbar now, much better!
I made a list of handy prefs that should be toggle controls, will try and find it.

one of them is the scrub option to either scrub only selected tracks or all of them.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #956
AdamWathan

Post it up for sure, I don't mind adding the ones people find important! They are pretty simple actions.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #957
musicbynumbers

Here's the list I found so far in no particularly order and Tim has done some of them I think..

-send/hardware output default mode

-do not process muted tracks (that was asked for by a few when doing bounce downs so if it's an action they would be happy)

-seek on loop point change (think Tim put this in already)

-seek playback on item move/size/fade adjustment (uber useful, could you squeeze in some "presets" for the preroll time for this say 0ms, 10ms, 100ms, 1000ms, 10000ms if poss but no worries if not)

-only play selected tracks when scrubbing/jogging.

-create new files on loop

-draw item labels above rather than within items (my preferred default but doesn't show all names when you have multiple takes)

-Copy inserted media into project media directory (that would be a very good setting especially if when put to a toolbar icon it could represent itself as on or off)

-allow only one fx chain open at a time (I can think of some good custom action uses for this)

-Advanced UI/system settings, Allow track envelope/routing windows to stay open.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:48 PM   #958
gofer
-blänk-

mmmhmmm Preferences toggles *drool*

What I always wanted was an ability to toggle the checkboxes
"Sends send MIDI by default" and
"Sends send audio by default"
(actually I'd just need to toggle between MIDI only and audio only, but a simple toggle handle would do the trick perfectly well).

That would help me tremendously when setting up routings on the fly. Would that be in the realms of possibility?
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:43 PM   #959
mikolo

I thinks its annoying that MIDI recording quantize is tucked away in a menu on the track..thats something id love to have at the touch of a key or toolbar button... unless im missing something?
mikolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #960
hopi

hey Adam, might you have a moment to look over here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...action+markers

thinking you may see the need and have a brilliant solution

thanks much