Old 12-14-2017, 07:49 AM   #1
mlprod
Human being with feelings

Default VST plugin scanning is shaky

I see there has been some work on plugin scanning for DX plugins in 5.70.

Can you please take a look at VST scanning aswell? On every single install I have done this has never worked without hiccups. My last computer/reaper wouldnt fine SoundToys crystalizer, with my currect new build I cant get some slate plugins to be scanned.

Only way is to try and find working lines (from previous installs) in the ini files to copy paste. Would be GREAT if this can be sorted out, its kind of a pita!
mlprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:30 AM   #2
ivansc

My experience: I used to have all kinds of issues like yours till I did my housekeeping properly.
Double check all your paths and that you are scanning 32bit and 64bit in the correct order for your usage.

Rather than cutting and pasting, start from scratch and when you have a 100% working list of folders to be scanned, copy and past the whole thing into a text file & save it somewhere safe for the next time something screws up.

Also worth wading through the unexpected places and removing any old or spurious folders with VSTs in them, always remembering to respect those awkward bastards oops rare plugin manufacturers who choose to use either the now-prehistoric /Steinberg/VSTPlugins or their own pet locations for THEIR plugs.

P.S. One that caught me out recently was some dev who decided to put vst2 plugs in `VST plugins` instead of `VSTPlugins` - easy to miss.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:44 AM   #3
mlprod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
My experience: I used to have all kinds of issues like yours till I did my housekeeping properly.
Double check all your paths and that you are scanning 32bit and 64bit in the correct order for your usage.

Rather than cutting and pasting, start from scratch and when you have a 100% working list of folders to be scanned, copy and past the whole thing into a text file & save it somewhere safe for the next time something screws up.

Also worth wading through the unexpected places and removing any old or spurious folders with VSTs in them, always remembering to respect those awkward bastards oops rare plugin manufacturers who choose to use either the now-prehistoric /Steinberg/VSTPlugins or their own pet locations for THEIR plugs.

P.S. One that caught me out recently was some dev who decided to put vst2 plugs in `VST plugins` instead of `VSTPlugins` - easy to miss.
Yea all valid points Ivan, but its all done already. Very much for housekeeping, but this is something else that I am pretty confident lies with how reaper scan VSTs somehow.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Just a quick FYI that that means preferred bitness last in the scan list. So if 64 bit were preferred... C:\VST32;C:\VST64
Old 12-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #5
jaimun

Default vst scanning problems

Here too. I've been moving folders, trying one by one, re-scanning, but some plugins are gone.
Never happened before.
These are free plugins I used in several computers since a long time, without problems.

It could be nice to have a window to check all detected plugins, their status, error messages... like in the old Wavelab.

Please, fix this problem. All my work in Reaper depends on my extraordinary suite of free plugins.

Thanks
jaimun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:01 PM   #6
mlprod

Yea this for sure aint working like it should.
I got one single VST folder (only 64bit). Some plugins install in subfolder of that folder, but they are no worse than the "root folder dll's". Just today I installed a few more plugins on my new machine and same thing, didnt find one of them.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:30 PM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
Just today I installed a few more plugins on my new machine and same thing, didnt find one of them.
Even with clear cache/rescan? Just asking because I've not seen this issue.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:51 PM   #8
mlprod

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Even with clear cache/rescan? Just asking because I've not seen this issue.
Oh yes.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:51 PM   #9
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimun View Post
Here too. I've been moving folders, trying one by one, re-scanning, but some plugins are gone.
Never happened before.
These are free plugins I used in several computers since a long time, without problems.

It could be nice to have a window to check all detected plugins, their status, error messages... like in the old Wavelab.

Please, fix this problem. All my work in Reaper depends on my extraordinary suite of free plugins.

Thanks
Just for grins, WHAT old free plugins are involved here?
Also are you on 64 or 2 bit windows and 32 or 64bit reaper and what is your current principal path to 32 and to 64 bit plugs? EG: C:\\Program Files\VSTPlugins\ C:\\Program Files(x86)\VSTPlugins
And if it isn't too much trouble, a cut n paste of our current vst scan paths?
Old 12-14-2017, 07:04 PM   #10
Arnar

Same here , quite a few plugins that will not load for me , Massive , DFH and a bunch of them really.
Not a path issue.
Happened when I upgraded to 5.7.
Arnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:36 AM   #11
ivansc

To both of you: I know you think you have explored everything and must be feelinf frustrated, but have you really done a complete new portable install & then added paths one by one rather than copy/paste what you already had? If anything from your original reaper .ini file makes it into the portable version you have of course wasted your time.
I dont mean to be patronising here but I have seen so many people assume they did everything right only to find they missed something out.
And dont forget if you DID move any plugins from their original location there is always a good chance that the author of the plug designed it to only work from the installer-chosen location.
Trying to eliminate all possibilities for you here guys.
Certainly Massive should give no issues if you installed it using Native Access and included the N.I. install location in your reaper locations.

P.S. Just for grins I am doing a clear/rescan in 5.7 to see if any of my plugs disappear.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:23 AM   #12
Arnar

I guess I could do more to sort this out but I was in the middle of a session when I upgraded , not a smart move but I have never even had to think about this when upgrading , literally never had a problem. Will have a closer look at this today.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:38 AM   #13
ivansc

Thats the downside of Reaper - so stable we get spoilt and assume it wont break - until it does! Good luck.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:51 AM   #14
karbomusic

Quote:
but have you really done a complete new portable install
+1 to this because my fading memory is telling me Reaper has a list of failed plugins that it caches and will stop finding during scans - but I don't remember where it lives.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:41 PM   #15
ivansc

Shit - you are right.... and I don't remember where it hides out either, perhaps somebody younger and smarter will chime in?
Old 12-16-2017, 12:47 PM   #16
jaimun

Quote:
Just for grins, WHAT old free plugins are involved here?
Also are you on 64 or 2 bit windows and 32 or 64bit reaper and what is your current principal path to 32 and to 64 bit plugs? EG: C:\\Program Files\VSTPlugins\ C:\\Program Files(x86)\VSTPlugins
And if it isn't too much trouble, a cut n paste of our current vst scan paths?
Reaper: 32 bits
VSTs: 32 bits
Patch: C:\\VST

Some of the missing plugins I notices: one of the HGfortune suite, Vrash free... but there were more.

I emptied the whole directory, re-scanned and emptied cache, then added one folder (compressors, say), re-scanned again, emptied cache... It took a long time since I have many many plugins.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #17
ivansc

OK your setup looks fine. I personally tend not to put VST folders in root of any drive - mine live in C:Program Files\Vst Plugins folder.

So the specific option you used was Clear/rescan, not rescan and empty the cache?
Emptying the cache, if you mean going to wherever your files are and deleting everything then reinstalling, will do nothing.

As I said earlier, reaper has an .ini file that contains a list of all the plugins and whether or not they loaded successfully last time. Those that didnt are marked as such by Reaper and ignored on any subsequent scan UNLESS you use the clear/rescan option under Options/Prefs/Plugins/.

If you want to look at what is actually IN Reaper as far as installed plugins it should recognise, go to:

Users\yourusername\Appdata\Roaming\Reaper\

where you should find a file called something like reaper-vstplugins which is the .ini file, although it is actually also a text file that you can open and check to see what you actually have in Reaper in terms of plugins.

Last edited by ivansc; 12-16-2017 at 01:53 PM. Reason: tryping instread of typing again...
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #18
mlprod

This is a very good description of what happens:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=200407

Yesterday, Slate S-Gear, other days something else maybe, an install a few months ago it was SoundToys Crystalizer.

This is an issue that I would assume has to be a reaper one since it's affects different plugins seemingly randomly. I have a slight feeling that it affect dlls that are quite large in filesize.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:06 AM   #19
jaimun

Tried a new Portable install with a fresh scan of my VST folder.
Some of the plugins that couldn't load:

Crystal

WOK: Del_Rev, Chord Mem Pro, Ton meister, Ratchit, SimpArp

TerryWest MOJOE...

Most of them SynthEdit plugins, I believe.

But, Crystal WOK, TerryWest... these are good plugins, I need them!
Old 12-19-2017, 05:26 AM   #20
jaimun

Default accumulative problem

Tried a fresh 5.62 install, and got the same problems.
It seems to be an accumulative problem, exposed by the ReScanning of the new categories system.
As I've been adding these plugins one by one, as they've been appearing over the years, Reaper was happy with them. But when it has to re-scan the whole lot, problems from some plugins seem to scale up into another plugins, screwing completely the scanning of the whole set.
One error from a SEM module from Synt-edit rolls into the next plugins, breaking the whole system.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:50 AM   #21
ivansc

Terry's stuff SHOULD be OK - he often posts on here btw.

Synth edit stuff is notoriously flaky and unreliable on just about anything post XP.

You may have to break down and try something new to replace them.

Or revert to a 32 bit XP setup with no modern stuff on it at all.

mlprod: Are you using anything old and weird like this as well?
Old 12-19-2017, 10:42 AM   #22
jaimun

Default new tests on another DAWs

mm... tested a fresh scan of the same VST folder on Podium Free 3.2.1, only 4 plugins were quarantained:

NaiveLPF.dll
Flame.dll
UFO_ZE.dll
Fuzzed.dll
shortcircuit.dll
Old 12-19-2017, 10:46 AM   #23
ivansc

So it looks .like this really is a plugin issue as much as a reaper issue.
Time to consider reverting to XP32bit?
Old 12-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #24
jaimun

Traktion 6 loads most of the plugins without any problem.

XP was a great OS.

Seven 32bits it's perfect for my audio workflow.

This same set of VST is running on two different laptops with Win10.

It is no funny.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:10 PM   #25
mlprod

All plugins I have had problems scanning are brand new 64bit stuff. Nothing strange there.
Most recently Slate S-gear VST2 and Eosis De-esser VST3.
Manually editing the ini file in the only way to solve it is my conclusion.
PITA

Last edited by mlprod; 12-19-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #26
Arnar

I just set up my computer again , still having problems.
Trying to make sense of this .
Cannot get Audiorealism ABL to load ?
Tried as a 64 bit plugin and 32 bit.

Last edited by Arnar; 12-20-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:23 PM   #27
jaimun

The INI manual editing solution works: now I have a portable installation without any VSTs, separate from my main installation. I add there the conflictive plugin, it works ok, then I copy the text in the INI file into the permanent installation INI file.

Not very user friendly, but I can recover the plugins I needed in my working projects.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:51 AM   #28
nikon

I noticed this with latest 5.7 version too. VST3 plugins are scanned correctly and just some of VST2 plugins. (Windows 10 64).
Then I do removing all bad scan items from /appdata/reaper/reaper-vstplugins64.ini and run Reaper as administrator and plugins were scanned correctly.
So I believe this has nothing with Reaper itself than Windows 10 latest update (few days ago) and windows privileges.

Last edited by nikon; 01-12-2018 at 03:43 AM.
nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:29 AM   #29
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimun View Post
The INI manual editing solution works: now I have a portable installation without any VSTs, separate from my main installation. I add there the conflictive plugin, it works ok, then I copy the text in the INI file into the permanent installation INI file.

Not very user friendly, but I can recover the plugins I needed in my working projects.
Well done - this is intended as a last ditch recovery option when everything else has failed, so it is never going to be user friendly.
Have you taken a moment to look at your old .ini file (you DID save a copy, I hope) to see if you could spot anything that was not right? It is almost beginning to look like this really is a problem with your original plugin path list, though.
If you still have it, you could cut `n paste it here and let us all loose on it to see what we can spot.