Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
winbe
Human being with feelings

Default "Consolidate" tracks: Reaper amazes me once again but...

Hi there,

in order to give "tracked out" copies of my beats to customers, I have to export each of my track to a separate wave file.

I tried the dedicated function that Reaper offers: it works like a charm but... I realized, and this is expected, that it ignores the "send" effects for each track.

So the only way is to solo the first track, render the "master mix", solo the second track, render the master mix, and so on.

The very good news for me is that I tried to "queue" all these renders, and I discovered that it works: Reaper remembers all the changes that you made the project before pressing the "queue render" button. I thought that it was just reopening the project, but no, it does really remembers all the intermediate versions!!

So this is perfect, but now I have a question... would it be possible to write a kind of super macro that would totally automate this process ?

The process is: solo track1, queue render of master mix with output name being "track1", solo track2, queue render.... and finally, render all...
Old 07-15-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
hopi

have you tried rednder stems? you could make a time selection, select all the tracks to render, render stems and auto add them to the project..

you will get one extra [at least] which is the master trk itself, but easy to toss that...

you should get a new trak with the wav on it for each of the other traks... including vsti's if you use them...

When you have them in the project, use ctrl+alt and left mouse to drag and drop [one at a time] to a new HD folder... watch the names... put 'em on a stick for you clients
Old 07-15-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
winbe

yes, when I say that I tried the "dedicated function that Reaper offers", I was refering to render to stems.
Works like a charm.

But the tracks are rendered without their "send" bus, which is normal.
I want the send bus to be applied, as my reverb is there.

So the good technique is to solo each track and render it...
Old 07-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
Kearley

Oh I see.. you want the track rendered WITH the appropriate returns included?

That would be a good trick.
Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
nofish

maybe this isn't suitable for you but just an idea:

render the tracks dry (without sends) than render just the reverb return busses seperately, this way the customers have even a bit more control if they want to use your reverb as intended (leave fader at 0dB), lower/higher or replace it completely with their own reverb.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
Kearley

The reason I would use it is for archival purposes...so I can just load up the tracks and I immediately have my mix.
Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
hopi

I have to go test but think there might be another way... which in my imagination would be to kill the master parent send of the AUX's and give each of them their own output... let's go try that

OK... I'm bach.... and this seems to work... of course if you wanted to just send part of something to an aux and also have the original mixed with it, we would need some fancier routing and might need to also have the sum of that routing recording to new other tracks.... which means real time obviously...

but if you are sending to aux's and ONLY want a stem of that aux, what I described above works fine.

Last edited by hopi; 07-17-2010 at 06:49 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
winbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearley View Post
Oh I see.. you want the track rendered WITH the appropriate returns included?

That would be a good trick.
yes, in fact I use a reverb bus, with epicverb on it, just because it is convenient, fast, is nice with the CPU, but I could add the reverb on each track if I wanted to.

The idea of creating the stems without the returns, and having a separate "reverb" track is not a bad idea, this is initially what I intended to do, but I don't know what customers who buy "tracked-out" beats are used to??

Anyway my way of doing things works (soloing each track), and I have read in several places that it was the "recommended" way, for example when you want to send you stuff to a mastering engineer.

The thing now is that I would like to be able to write an "action" for this. I am nrealy sure it is possible, the only thing is to be able to call the "Queue render" dialog, and input a name here...
Old 07-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #9
winbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearley View Post
The reason I would use it is for archival purposes...so I can just load up the tracks and I immediately have my mix.
the customers want this to be able to do their own mix, and potentially remove/cut some parts...

but yes, I think I'll also do it for myself for archival purposes. We never know, I already had some suprises in the past with some Vst or vstis that I could not run any longer, and having the wave output of each track is a good idea. Need disk space, now