Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 09-26-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
joshs
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER Not Handling Sharing Audio

I use an ASIO driver, which I realize means I can't simultaneously use other audio applications with the same device. However, I have REAPER set up to close the audio device when it's inactive. This allows me to make use of sound in other applications, however for some reason even after shutting down the other applications, when I go back to the REAPER window, the device is reopened but it doesn't play. So I have to restart the audio. If I don't play audio after inactivating REAPER, there's no issue. Similarly if I sleep my computer, when I reopen it, REAPER audio is hung until I reset it. The driver reopening should be more robust to make it easier for users to jump in and out of the program as it's often useful to use another application to play an exported track or to open a browser and watch a tutorial. Thanks!
joshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:47 PM   #2
sisaso

Some information about your Audiointerface and Asio Driver would be helpful.
Win 10? Check the windows Sound Preferences for Playback and look for "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" . Should be off.
sisaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:53 PM   #3
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshs View Post
I use an ASIO driver, which I realize means I can't simultaneously use other audio applications with the same device.
This is not a Reaper issue, but the way ASIO works.
(Seemingly, vice versa, you also can't use multiple ASIO drivers with a single application.)

Obviously, the ASIO interface allows the application to set parameters in the driver, and hence cross-routing would lead to chaos.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:56 AM   #4
azslow3

REAPER is just using API to take/release the control over the interface. If it does that wrong, it will be broken for everyone.

So correct behavior is up to the driver. And here most audio interface producers have problems. Sleep (as well as other power saving features) and shared modes are most problematic.

To give it at least some chance to work, in Windows audio settings set the same format as in REAPER. F.e. if you set 44.1kHz in Windows and 96kHz in REAPER, the chance it works is close to zero.
Or set shared driver mode so REAPER works throw Windows mixer (the consequence is high latency and potentially reduced audio quality).

But better use different audio interfaces for Windows and a DAW or use an interface which allows several applications in parallel (f.e. RME).

With "tricks" you are looking for troubles. REAPER is a software and it can not change the fact you get what you have payed for in the hardware domain.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote