Old 03-23-2012, 12:58 AM   #481
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
Another feature request:

It would be great if you could create a new knob type which acts like a fader. Instead of wasting the screen real-estate of a small device with faders that stretch over a large portion of a screen, they could be replaced by a new type.
It would look like a simple circle, much like the current rotary controls as far as level indication goes, except that it would have the "linear knob" type of behaviour that modern DAWs use for plugin knob control (where you click the knob, then move your mouse along the vertical axis).
Imagine having an entire mixer of 32 channels all available on one page.
While I appreciate this line of thinking, may I remind you that this is *not* the TouchOSC FR page? (getting track colors and such via OSC in REAPER has already been requested)

But hey, I'm not imagining anything - I'm using it (also on TouchOSC, and it's working nicely here. Just need to pimp the graphics a bit more. Here's a few little examples of current work in progress: parameter value --> hue; MIDI/OSC conversion curve X/Y crosshairs; parameter value --> different color schemes (all .mov, 906kb / 434kb / 3.4mb)

I strongly disagree on 'linear knob' being a good choice btw. As I have mentioned before elsewhere on this forum, circular knobs have much better resolution (and are more intuitive to use, since shape matches motion). It has nothing to do with 'modern DAW'. If you're referring to Ableton, haven't you noticed that since all controls are locked at the bottom of the screen, there is hardly any room left to navigate?
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ

Last edited by Banned; 03-23-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:23 AM   #482
daxliniere
Human being with feelings
 
daxliniere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,931
Default

Hey Banned,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
While I appreciate this line of thinking, may I remind you that this is *not* the TouchOSC FR page?
Yes, of course, my apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
I strongly disagree on 'linear knob' being a good choice btw.
Horses for courses. I think it would be pretty easy to add an option to this newly proposed widget allowing the user to set the resolution (perhaps even with acceleration), but I digress from the thread (again ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
It has nothing to do with 'modern DAW'. If you're referring to Ableton...
No, I just meant anything from the past 10 years
This wasn't some kind of snipe at REAPER - I think it's the most modern of all DAWs!
__________________
Dax Liniere
London's newest premium studio complex! (Facebook)
[i7-4790K, 12Gb RAM, Win8.1x64, NVidia GT710, UAD2-OCTO, FireFaceUFX, REAPER x64]
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:58 AM   #483
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
Horses for courses. I think it would be pretty easy to add an option to this newly proposed widget allowing the user to set the resolution (perhaps even with acceleration), but I digress from the thread (again ).
Of course (pun intended ), it's highly subjective what works best, and this would indeed make a nice FR. Perhaps also ask for a horizontal control mode, so you can use vertical linear mode for knobs in the center and at the left/right sides, and horizontal linear mode at the top/bottom rows (since you have limited room for further movement in one direction near the edge of the screen after grabbing a control). And then perhaps still use circular for the knobs in the corners.

But from a technical perspective, however you design the software, the fact remains that there are more measuring points (pixels) on a (rasterized) circle than on both axes. Thus you will always have a bigger maximal resolution available for circular modes than for linear modes.
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:06 AM   #484
anderson_ev123
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
The latest prereleases of REAPER have preliminary support for using OSC devices as control surfaces. Please use this thread to report bugs or request features.

For example, what would be the best way for us to support messages to implement an XY or XYZ pad? Here is one possibility, which could support multiple XY or XYZ pads:

FX_ASSIGN_X /x/@/track/@/fx/@/fxparam/@
FX_ASSIGN_Y /y/@/track/@/fx/@/fxparam/@
FX_ASSIGN_Z z/@/track/@/fx/@/fxparam/@
FX_XY_VALUES /xy/@/value (+2 arguments)
FX_XYZ_VALUES /xyz/@/value (+3 arguments)
does anyone know what format reaper expects the OSC addresses to be in?
im trying to send hexadecimal udp packets to it and cant get a response.
anderson_ev123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:18 AM   #485
philait
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Newcastle - UK
Posts: 567
Default

Possible FR (I'm new maybe you can already do this...)

Array of Touched FX parameters?
Example I open the GUI for SynthSquad Cypher and want to program up a new sound.
I have a Page with 10 elements in an OSClayout /FXtouched/1 through to 10
Click, Click, Click on the Parameters important to what I want edit for this sound.
Edit my Sound, save preset.
When Finished Click Clear array ready for the next time.

The Reason behind this is some Synths have a LOT or Parameters and if you only want to access a subset in an easy way for sound/design tweaking it would be very useful to be able to do this.
philait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:03 AM   #486
captain_caveman
Human being with feelings
 
captain_caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson_ev123 View Post
does anyone know what format reaper expects the OSC addresses to be in?
im trying to send hexadecimal udp packets to it and cant get a response.
If you have a look at this thread it might help. If not, it may be the other thing that tripped me up (by not reading the Default.ReaperOSC comments) which was that to send... (eg)....
SCROLL_X- b/scroll/x/- r/scroll/x

... you strip out the b/ or r/ first, because they just define the messages within Reaper as being binary or rotary and should not be sent. (edit: and obviously add the '/' if you're sending a message)

When Reaper receives a valid message you should see any arguments enclosed in []s in the Listen window. It will show what you are sending anyway, but this is how you can tell it's understanding the message.

Last edited by captain_caveman; 03-23-2012 at 05:21 AM.
captain_caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:33 AM   #487
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by philait View Post
Possible FR (I'm new maybe you can already do this...)

Array of Touched FX parameters?
Example I open the GUI for SynthSquad Cypher and want to program up a new sound.
I have a Page with 10 elements in an OSClayout /FXtouched/1 through to 10
Click, Click, Click on the Parameters important to what I want edit for this sound.
Edit my Sound, save preset.
When Finished Click Clear array ready for the next time.

The Reason behind this is some Synths have a LOT or Parameters and if you only want to access a subset in an easy way for sound/design tweaking it would be very useful to be able to do this.
I don't see how the chosen subset of parameters can persist for next time around, but I like where this is going, as I have been struggling with the same problem and suggested a few approaches, such as parameter remapping, and implementing feedback for Track FX + increasing their number). How about an action to copy/add such an array of touched parameters to the Track FX?
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:37 AM   #488
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson_ev123 View Post
does anyone know what format reaper expects the OSC addresses to be in?
im trying to send hexadecimal udp packets to it and cant get a response.
Here's a possibly helpful OSC message example, first in human readable text:
Code:
/fxparam/1/value 1
And then as raw bytes:
Code:
47 102 120 112 
97 114 97 109 
47 49 47 118 
97 108 117 101 
0 0 0 0 
44 102 0 0 
63 128 0 0
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:40 AM   #489
philait
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Newcastle - UK
Posts: 567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
I don't see how the chosen subset of parameters can persist for next time around, but I like where this is going, as I have been struggling with the same problem and suggested a few approaches, such as parameter remapping, and implementing feedback for Track FX + increasing their number). How about an action to copy/add such an array of touched parameters to the Track FX?
TBH I was thinking about this as a kind of one hit thing for that Session, but if they could be made to persist that would also be excellent. As it would be very quick to setup and 'my' requirements might change from time to time I'd want a quick way to drop the array and remap, but that's just me, thinking about synth tweaking as a usage. Of course other potential users of such a feature will surely have different ideas
philait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:55 AM   #490
anderson_ev123
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Here's a possibly helpful OSC message example, first in human readable text:
Code:
/fxparam/1/value 1
And then as raw bytes:
Code:
47 102 120 112 
97 114 97 109 
47 49 47 118 
97 108 117 101 
0 0 0 0 
44 102 0 0 
63 128 0 0
Hi Banned,

I get the osc address proceedure, the problem is the application I am using
is unable to pack osc addresses into udp packets that can be unpacked reapers end and i cant find a spec anywhere which describes how to do it manually.
anderson_ev123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #491
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson_ev123 View Post
Hi Banned,

I get the osc address proceedure, the problem is the application I am using
is unable to pack osc addresses into udp packets that can be unpacked reapers end and i cant find a spec anywhere which describes how to do it manually.
No clue, sorry. Perhaps try an application that does work (e.g. Pd) and sniff the packets?
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #492
captain_caveman
Human being with feelings
 
captain_caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson_ev123 View Post
Hi Banned,

I get the osc address proceedure, the problem is the application I am using
is unable to pack osc addresses into udp packets that can be unpacked reapers end and i cant find a spec anywhere which describes how to do it manually.
Are you sure it's sending what you're telling it to send? If it's sending correctly formatted OSC commands then Reaper recognises them.

For example I had a problem where the buffer was being encoded with UTF-8 in the first way I tried to send messages.

Which application are you using?
captain_caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #493
schwa
Administrator
 
schwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 10,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson_ev123 View Post
the problem is the application I am using
is unable to pack osc addresses into udp packets that can be unpacked reapers end and i cant find a spec anywhere which describes how to do it manually.
The UDP packet simply contains the OSC packet, as described here:
http://opensoundcontrol.org/specification.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #494
sqkychair
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 235
Default

I found that /play and /stop REQUIRED a param of 1.

Sending no params or a zero did not seem to toggle them.

Maybe I misunderstood the toggle param
sqkychair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #495
anderson_ev123
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Unhappy no luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
The UDP packet simply contains the OSC packet, as described here:
http://opensoundcontrol.org/specification.
tried that before posting schwa unfortunately it doesnt work with or without a carriage return.
anderson_ev123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #496
captain_caveman
Human being with feelings
 
captain_caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson_ev123 View Post
tried that before posting schwa unfortunately it doesnt work with or without a carriage return.
Whatever application you are using must be interfering with the packet then. What is displayed in the Reaper Listen window?

edit: What application is it? I am using basic4android and had problems but now have written nice code module I could send you that links to an additional byte library that does the trick if you are using that (long shot).

Last edited by captain_caveman; 03-24-2012 at 03:52 PM.
captain_caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #497
anderson_ev123
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_caveman View Post
Whatever application you are using must be interfering with the packet then. What is displayed in the Reaper Listen window?

edit: What application is it? I am using basic4android and had problems but now have written nice code module I could send you that links to an additional byte library that does the trick if you are using that (long shot).

hi caveman,
its CF iviewer for ipad and it doesnt contain an osc library for packing/unpacking straight osc addresses. say for example /play as a string I Understand this to need to be /play\0\0\0 to pad it out to 8 bytes, as hex this should become

2f 70 6c 61 79 \0 \0 \0 according to the specification right?

though I send it and it doesn't work. cant work out what I'm doing wrong.

listen window says what I want it to even /play but it doesnt do anything

Last edited by anderson_ev123; 03-24-2012 at 04:52 PM.
anderson_ev123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #498
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson_ev123 View Post
hi caveman,
its CF iviewer for ipad and it doesnt contain an osc library for packing/unpacking straight osc addresses. say for example /play as a string I Understand this to need to be /play\0\0\0 to pad it out to 8 bytes, as hex this should become

2f 70 6c 61 79 \0 \0 \0 according to the specification right?

though I send it and it doesn't work. cant work out what I'm doing wrong.
My understanding is the OSC message /play looks like this as raw bytes (convert to hex yourself please):
Code:
47 112 108 97 121 0 0 0 44 0 0 0
(But I don't know if this is how the UDP packet looks, sorry)

Another idea, since your on iOS, perhaps look at Mrmr, an OSC controller app with open source code available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson_ev123 View Post
listen window says what I want it to even /play but it doesnt do anything
That sounds ok... Have you set up a OSC control surface in Preferences? (Just checking if you didn't overlook that part)
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #499
anderson_ev123
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Talking sorted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
My understanding is the OSC message /play looks like this as raw bytes (convert to hex yourself please):
Code:
47 112 108 97 121 0 0 0 44 0 0 0
(But I don't know if this is how the UDP packet looks, sorry)

Another idea, since your on iOS, perhaps look at Mrmrm, an OSC controller app with open source code available.



That sounds ok... Have you set up a OSC control surface in Preferences? (Just checking if you didn't overlook that part)
hi banned,

ive cracked it, reaper is expecting a float value of 1 or 0 to 7 decimal places on top of the address to signify when the action goes hi or low.
anderson_ev123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #500
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson_ev123 View Post
hi banned,

ive cracked it, reaper is expecting a float value of 1 or 0 to 7 decimal places on top of the address to signify when the action goes hi or low.
Yay, glad you finally got it working! Now join in on the fun.

Weird, btw... I thought that this one used an int, not a float. I've had a bit of trouble with sending values correctly typed as integers vs floats as well (which I solved by eliminating use of some code that used type guessing, just being explicit about types). Which reminds me, I should add a bit about that to the thread captain caveman started after I invited him to.

Misleading how a human readable format can still be interpreted differently by computers...
And that reminds me, I should test if I can send weird Unicode... like /sǝɥɔʇıʍs/ǝɥʇ/dılɟ/ 1
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ

Last edited by Banned; 03-24-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #501
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by philait View Post
TBH I was thinking about this as a kind of one hit thing for that Session, but if they could be made to persist that would also be excellent. As it would be very quick to setup and 'my' requirements might change from time to time I'd want a quick way to drop the array and remap, but that's just me, thinking about synth tweaking as a usage. Of course other potential users of such a feature will surely have different ideas
Indeed. For me personally, synth (plus effect chain) tweaking is also one of my main intended uses.

If you intend to use such a thing on a per-session basis, doesn't the 'Learn' feature work for that (except for the lack of feedback, which you may not need)? Or track controls ("Track FX")?

As far as (switchable) remapping goes, I'm still thinking about what the best way to handle that would be. It can be done completely outside of REAPER. But inside of REAPER a lot of things could be linked in useful ways. WALTERized track controls, for example. Or linking it to vstxml support: your 'last touched parameter matrix' could simply be a way to (re)define a vstxml file on-the-fly.
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #502
captain_caveman
Human being with feelings
 
captain_caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 999
Default

Maybe Default.ReaperOSC or Reaper needs updating to include this because..
Quote:
# t: trigger or toggle message. The device triggers the action, or toggles the
# state, when the pattern is sent with no arguments, or with an argument of 1.
# The feedback values REAPER sends are identical to those sent for binary
# arguments.

# Example: METRONOME t/click
# The device sends /click or /click 1 to toggle the metronome on or off. REAPER
# sends /click 1 when the metronome is enabled, and /click 0 when the metronome
# is disabled.
.. 't' messages are supposed to work with no arguments.
captain_caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #503
anderson_ev123
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_caveman View Post
Maybe Default.ReaperOSC or Reaper needs updating to include this because..

.. 't' messages are supposed to work with no arguments.
they probably do caveman, i know it does with touchosc. but then touchosc has a compatible library to pack the osc message to a udp packet and reaper is able to unpack it.

its bizarre I thought id cracked it but I haven't touchoscs play command shows up as

/1/play [f] 1.000000
/1/play [f] 0.000000

within reapers viewer.

I can Duplicate this with cf iviewer

however it doesnt cause a response.

the teeth grinding continues!!
anderson_ev123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:33 AM   #504
anderson_ev123
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson_ev123 View Post
they probably do caveman, i know it does with touchosc. but then touchosc has a compatible library to pack the osc message to a udp packet and reaper is able to unpack it.

its bizarre I thought id cracked it but I haven't touchoscs play command shows up as

/1/play [f] 1.000000
/1/play [f] 0.000000

within reapers viewer.

I can Duplicate this with cf iviewer

however it doesnt cause a response.

the teeth grinding continues!!
well 24 hrs at it.....

2f 31 2f 70 6c 61 79 \0 2c 66 \0 \0 3f 80 \0 \0

working play function under logic pad template

translates to

/1/play\0,f\0\0?(80 Hex Hi Lo)\0\0

hate to see what parsing the data coming out of reapers gonna take.
anderson_ev123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:50 AM   #505
captain_caveman
Human being with feelings
 
captain_caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 999
Default

I just tested Deafault.ReaperOSC /play command and it doesn't do anything without an argument, but works with an int or float argument of 1. So the docs or Reaper need updated to reflect this for 't: trigger or toggle' messages (preferably Reaper ).

I tested the LogicPad.ReaperOSC /1/play command that you've been trying and it works in the same way* with an int or float, but not with no arguments.

*I say works in the same way, but I don't know whether this was user error, but it didn't look like it was working, although Reaper was showing the message in the Listen window (with int or float arguments).

So I checked the 'Allow binding messages...' checkbox and went into the Actions window to learn a random action to see if it would do anything. When I sent the message** the Actions window received it, but Reaper started playing and is now playing and pausing when I send that address/command.

** There is a chance I was sending double messages though because I changed the message for a swipe gesture I am using in my app so that may have put me off and it may have worked from the start (but I didn't get any similar confusion using Default.ReaperOSC and the standard /play [i] 1).

So maybe try exiting from the OSC window and if that doesn't work, try learning an Action to see if I was imagining things or not.
captain_caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #506
anderson_ev123
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_caveman View Post
I just tested Deafault.ReaperOSC /play command and it doesn't do anything without an argument, but works with an int or float argument of 1. So the docs or Reaper need updated to reflect this for 't: trigger or toggle' messages (preferably Reaper ).

I tested the LogicPad.ReaperOSC /1/play command that you've been trying and it works in the same way* with an int or float, but not with no arguments.

*I say works in the same way, but I don't know whether this was user error, but it didn't look like it was working, although Reaper was showing the message in the Listen window (with int or float arguments).

So I checked the 'Allow binding messages...' checkbox and went into the Actions window to learn a random action to see if it would do anything. When I sent the message** the Actions window received it, but Reaper started playing and is now playing and pausing when I send that address/command.

** There is a chance I was sending double messages though because I changed the message for a swipe gesture I am using in my app so that may have put me off and it may have worked from the start (but I didn't get any similar confusion using Default.ReaperOSC and the standard /play [i] 1).

So maybe try exiting from the OSC window and if that doesn't work, try learning an Action to see if I was imagining things or not.
Hi caveman,

Does your gesture call high on both press and release? This could cause the behaviour you describe.
anderson_ev123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #507
captain_caveman
Human being with feelings
 
captain_caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson_ev123 View Post
Hi caveman,

Does your gesture call high on both press and release? This could cause the behaviour you describe.
For that one it doesn't send anything on press or release, just when it is moved into a different predefined zone where it just sends one address.

It's all working 100% (apart from vertical scroll GUI buglet in Reaper) with all the commands I give it for that and other gestures, something strange only (felt like it) happened with the /1/play LogicPad.ReaperOSC test (I am using Default.

I hadn't done any 't' commands yet though, so it's good that we've found out that they definitely need an argument now.
captain_caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #508
schwa
Administrator
 
schwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 10,248
Default

t/ messages should not need an argument -- I just tested this to verify.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #509
anderson_ev123
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_caveman View Post
For that one it doesn't send anything on press or release, just when it is moved into a different predefined zone where it just sends one address.

It's all working 100% (apart from vertical scroll GUI buglet in Reaper) with all the commands I give it for that and other gestures, something strange only (felt like it) happened with the /1/play LogicPad.ReaperOSC test (I am using Default.

I hadn't done any 't' commands yet though, so it's good that we've found out that they definitely need an argument now.
You might be right caveman,

It's hard to know for sure until all the existing libraries have been tried. I find it strange that the devs would specifically say it can be done without an argument when it can't. I can only assume they must have tested it first but possibly between two identical libraries and at the time it caused no issues........who knows???

I dont disagree though It should be amended to say as a matter of course include an argument though.

Have you started parsing reapers feedback yet?

I'm putting it off for the evening...it is Sunday after all and the pub is still open! :-)
anderson_ev123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #510
anderson_ev123
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson_ev123 View Post
You might be right caveman,

It's hard to know for sure until all the existing libraries have been tried. I find it strange that the devs would specifically say it can be done without an argument when it can't. I can only assume they must have tested it first but possibly between two identical libraries and at the time it caused no issues........who knows???

I dont disagree though It should be amended to say as a matter of course include an argument though.

Have you started parsing reapers feedback yet?

I'm putting it off for the evening...it is Sunday after all and the pub is still open! :-)
Schwa,

Can I ask what you used to test this max,pd etc?
anderson_ev123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #511
schwa
Administrator
 
schwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 10,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson_ev123 View Post
Can I ask what you used to test this max,pd etc?
Constructing a message by hand in a test client app. I think I see the problem though: OSC messages are always supposed to include the type tag string, even if there are no arguments. But not all clients follow this rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://opensoundcontrol.org/specification
Note: some older implementations of OSC may omit the OSC Type Tag string. Until all such implementations are updated, OSC implementations should be robust in the case of a missing OSC Type Tag String.
REAPER won't recognize a message with no type tag string. We will update this so that REAPER is robust in this case, as the spec suggests.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #512
anderson_ev123
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Constructing a message by hand in a test client app. I think I see the problem though: OSC messages are always supposed to include the type tag string, even if there are no arguments. But not all clients follow this rule.



REAPER won't recognize a message with no type tag string. We will update this so that REAPER is robust in this case, as the spec suggests.
Haha I was gonna quote that exact same paragraph about an hour ago but couldn't be arsed with all the speculating.I don't think it's that necessary to go to all that length why not just put a note in the default OSC file about it.

Though I spouse " if your gonna do something"...........

Might as well do it properly
anderson_ev123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #513
anderson_ev123
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson_ev123 View Post
Haha I was gonna quote that exact same paragraph about an hour ago but couldn't be arsed with all the speculating.I don't think it's that necessary to go to all that length why not just put a note in the default OSC file about it.

Though I spouse " if your gonna do something"...........

Might as well do it properly
Can I just ask schwa,

With the introduction of said osc, would I be right in assuming a dedicated official
App is on the cards???

Mixdown to smart device maybe, auto upload to soundcloud?
anderson_ev123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #514
captain_caveman
Human being with feelings
 
captain_caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I think I see the problem though: OSC messages are always supposed to include the type tag string, even if there are no arguments. But not all clients follow this rule.
Sorry schwa, I didn't notice that.
captain_caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:59 AM   #515
anderson_ev123
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Lightbulb Peak feedback

could we maybe add peak/clipping feedback?, kind of essential to the concept of remote track arming.
anderson_ev123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #516
anderson_ev123
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Red face osc feature requests

also can we have a function that calls all listed values in the osc address index please?
anderson_ev123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #517
anderson_ev123
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Lightbulb Take Export via ftp???

wouldn't it be cool if you could have a tablet audio editor and bounce takes back and for to it??
anderson_ev123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #518
pentecost
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 60
Default

FR: ability to address FX by way of name and instance, rather than solely by track.
why?: workflow!
EDIT: Thought this begged some elucidation...
Let's say I want to control all my instances of ReaEq and make a layout that toggles through them. As it stands, I'd have to go through and write hard track numbers. If I shuffle the tracks or move to a different project, this all needs to be changed. With FX name and instance, you could presumably jumble up tracks to your heart's content and not care where the instances are distributed.

Last edited by pentecost; 04-15-2012 at 09:12 AM.
pentecost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #519
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default [FR] toggle fx parameter automation recording / track envelopes

[FR] Could we please get a message pattern to toggle track envelope visibility and record arm status for individual plugin parameters? E.g.:
Code:
FX_PARAM_REC_ARM b/fxparam/@/recarm b/fx/@/fxparam/@/recarm b/track/@/fx/@/fxparam/@/recarm
FX_PARAM_SHOW_ENVELOPE b/fxparam/@/show b/fx/@/fxparam/@/show b/track/@/fx/@/fxparam/@/show
This would be incredibly useful for recording automation while tweaking from a remote control surface.
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #520
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default FR: saving presets for effect and instrument plugins

And another FR: saving presets for effect and instrument plugins.

I couldn't find a suitable action to do this, perhaps just adding some (regular) actions would suffice, and be much more generally useful (as feedback isn't needed afaics).

I would like to be able to use the 'save' function that is already available from REAPER's GUI. However, since that overwrites the currently selected preset (if any), I'd also like some feature to quickly save a plugin preset when tweaking its parameters from a control surface, without having to bother giving it a new (unique) name. As one can of course rename the newly created presets more appropriately later on, some scheme to automatically generate a name based on date and time (e.g. 20120412_175645) would be awesome. Perhaps also something to include track/slot numbers (e.g. t12_s3_20120412_175645).
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.