Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-07-2017, 08:49 AM   #1
Emotionmelodiez
Human being with feelings

Default Can't open Maschine as vst in reaper, please help!

So I've searched and searched, and I find a lot of tips on routing and functionality in regards to using maschine as a vsti in reaper...but nothing when it comes to not even being able to OPEN maschine as a plug in. I haven't even been lucky enought to get to the point where I'm having problems with sound or recording(lol), because maschine doesn't even show up in reapers vst list?. Every video or forum tip I can find begins by saying "insert maschine as a virtual instrument". It always just assumes u know how/are automatically able to do that. For me it's not the case.

Reaper recognizes my maschine hardware in midi devices and its enabled, and I've toyed with about every option/configuration in my computer that I think might help, and still nothing. The software won't show in my list for me to insert it as a virtual instrument. Neither wI'll Massive or Reaktor...only reapers included cockos plugs.
I just got my micro mk2 2 weeks ago and the software functions fine in standalone.
But I LOVE reapers work flow and if I can't use maschine as a plug in...I might as well sell it...because I'm not ditching reaper. I also dont want to create audio of my maschine projects and import into reaper because of tempo/timing issues in regards to it matching to the rest of the music produced in reaper.

ANY help is greatly appreciated. Ive thought about trying to move maschine files into the reaper plugins folder(like u would with most other Reaper plugs), but i know u are not supposed to move maschine fIles around or it won't be able to locate the correct pathways any more.

I'm at a loss????

I thank u for any help u might be able to offer.

-Emotion

Btw...I'm using Windows 8 and the most current version of maschine 2.0

Last edited by Emotionmelodiez; 11-07-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Emotionmelodiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:20 AM   #2
Stella645

You would have the option to define the vstplugin location when you installed the software. So it's likely you installed it somewhere Reaper isn't looking.

Probably you would be fine to move just the vstplugin component (dll file in Windows) but if you're not comfortable with that see here:

https://support.native-instruments.c...cles/210292425
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:18 PM   #3
Emotionmelodiez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
You would have the option to define the vstplugin location when you installed the software. So it's likely you installed it somewhere Reaper isn't looking.

Probably you would be fine to move just the vstplugin component (dll file in Windows) but if you're not comfortable with that see here:

https://support.native-instruments.c...cles/210292425

Tried moving maschine, massive, guitar rig into reapers plugin/vst folder...nothing. Rescanned plugins, restarted reaper, all that. Still none of it shows up in reapers vst or fx list.
I've searched thru all the native instruments files and can't find anything labeled "dll"....?

I've tried every tip I've gotten, and every trick I could find on various forums and in the NI troubleshooting section...anything that seemed even slightly relevant to my issue. Nada.
Loosing hope, it's been almost 2 weeks and i haven't made a single shred of progress.

Does anyone out there have some info that can save me from smashing this thing(and my head) against the wall!? I beg u, Lol
Old 11-09-2017, 04:50 AM   #4
Stella645

Well no-one suggested you move anything other than the plugin dll so there's no surprise moving other stuff didn't work and indeed this could cause all sorts of problems. I hope you noted exactly where these files came from and have replaced them??

When you search the NI files can you see the file extensions or is Windows hiding them??

If you can see file extensions and there is no dll then you haven't installed the plugins. Run the installer and choose to install only the vstplugins.

As said already DO NOT install these to Reaper plugin folder.
A common location to use would be C:/Program Files/VSTPlugins.

ps. There are way more than three plugs that come with Reaper....are you absolutely sure you're just not finding stuff because you have something in the search filter of the plugin loader???
Old 11-09-2017, 10:07 AM   #5
Emotionmelodiez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Well no-one suggested you move anything other than the plugin dll so there's no surprise moving other stuff didn't work and indeed this could cause all sorts of problems. I hope you noted exactly where these files came from and have replaced them??

When you search the NI files can you see the file extensions or is Windows hiding them??

If you can see file extensions and there is no dll then you haven't installed the plugins. Run the installer and choose to install only the vstplugins.

As said already DO NOT install these to Reaper plugin folder.
A common location to use would be C:/Program Files/VSTPlugins.

ps. There are way more than three plugs that come with Reaper....are you absolutely sure you're just not finding stuff because you have something in the search filter of the plugin loader???
Yes I mover all NI fIles systematically back where they were, thanks.

Sorry about the confusion. I didn't mean I have plugis for maschine I want to use in reaper...I want to use MASCHINE in reaper.
I assume that massive and reactor are maschine plugin, but maybe the NI software doesn't see it that way? Idk? There is no "PLUGIN" type folder for maschine. Reactor, massive, guitar rig all have their own folders in my documents list...but maschine just knows where to look in order to list them and open them somehow

All I know is I've opened and searched all maschine's(and the other NI software)files and folders, and I don't see anything labeled "dll" like reapers plugs are(and yes there are way more than 3 cockos plugs, but only 3 in the vsti list). And don't move them into the reaper plugin folder? Because I had a bunch of freeware plugs on my old computer and I always placed them in reapers plug in folder for them to be recognized and work?

It seems like the problem almost certainly has to be a pathway problem. No one so far on NI's maschine forums have been able to help...and NI customer support is almost useless cuz u wait forever for a response. Still waiting for a reply after 2 weeks and I sent several requests.

So might the ones I need to focus on be called something other than dll?

Thanks again, even tho I'm getting no where u guys have been way more help than anyone else.. lol
Old 11-09-2017, 10:39 AM   #6
Stella645

Can't be any clearer than what I said already:

Old 11-09-2017, 10:44 AM   #7
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emotionmelodiez View Post
I assume that massive and reactor are maschine plugin, but maybe the NI software doesn't see it that way? Idk? There is no "PLUGIN" type folder for maschine. Reactor, massive, guitar rig all have their own folders in my documents list...but maschine just knows where to look in order to list them and open them somehow
Massive, Reaktor, etc. can be used as plugins in any DAW or plugin host application - they are NOT Maschine specific.
Like Reaper, Maschine Standalone can load the same Massive, Reaktor, etc. plugins: https://support.native-instruments.c...n-Paths-VIDEO-

So basically Reaper needs to know or point to the same folder (via the VST Paths in Preferences > Plug-Ins > VST) in which Maschine Standalone is looking for these plugins. Which is by default:

- C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VST Plug-Ins 32 Bit --> point to this folder if you're using Reaper 32-bit
- C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VST Plug-Ins 64 Bit --> point to this folder if you're using Reaper 64-bit

The corresponding Maschine Software VST plugin file ('Maschine 2.dll') should have been installed to the same default plugin location as the other NI plugin files (Massive.dll, Reaktor 6.dll, etc.).

So if you are using Reaper 64-bit:
Assuming that the 'Maschine 2.dll' VST 64-bit plugin file was installed correctly (for instance to 'C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VST Plug-Ins 64 Bit') and the same VST plugin folder ('C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VST Plug-Ins 64 Bit') is also used in Reaper's Preferences, then Maschine 2 should show up in Reaper's FX Browser.

Quote:
All I know is I've opened and searched all maschine's(and the other NI software)files and folders, and I don't see anything labeled "dll" like reapers plugs are
Where or how did you do the search, exactly?

Quote:
(and yes there are way more than 3 cockos plugs, but only 3 in the vsti list).
What's the name of these 3 plugins shown in the VSTi list?

Quote:
And don't move them into the reaper plugin folder? Because I had a bunch of freeware plugs on my old computer and I always placed them in reapers plug in folder for them to be recognized and work?
Then you might have been lucky so far
As already mentioned, it's not recommended to put any non-Reaper or 3rd-party plugins into <Reaper install location>/Plugins to avoid any possible problems in general.

Or are you talking about a different plugin folder or location?

Quote:
It seems like the problem almost certainly has to be a pathway problem. No one so far on NI's maschine forums have been able to help...and NI customer support is almost useless cuz u wait forever for a response. Still waiting for a reply after 2 weeks and I sent several requests.
Responses to a Support Ticket can usually take a couple of workdays. It's faster to give NI Support a call. Phone numbers can be found here (at the bottom of the page): https://www.native-instruments.com/e...ny/contact-ni/

Quote:
So might the ones I need to focus on be called something other than dll?
Since you're using Windows, the VST plugin files are the ones with the .dll extension. But if file extensions are hidden or not shown, it will only display the name like "Massive", "Reaktor 6", "Maschine 2", etc.
As example:

- 'Maschine 2.dll' ('Maschine 2' = file name / '.dll' = file extension) is the VST plugin file
- In comparison the file for the Standalone application (which is installed to a different location) is called 'Maschine 2.exe' ('Maschine 2' = file name / '.exe' = file extension)

So 'Massive.dll', 'Maschine 2.dll', etc. are the plugin files to look for. And, as mentioned above, they are installed by default to:

- C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VST Plug-Ins 32 Bit (for the 32-bit plugin version)
- C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VST Plug-Ins 64 Bit (for the 64-bit plugin version)

Last edited by solger; 11-09-2017 at 12:37 PM. Reason: better wording & info added about default plugin file paths
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:52 AM   #8
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emotionmelodiez View Post
Does anyone out there have some info that can save me from smashing this thing(and my head) against the wall!? I beg u, Lol
I'll try to give some additional info:

In general, NI products like Maschine or Massive (which are available as both Standalone and plugin) will install files to different locations for
- the Standalone application (.exe and additional files like documentation, etc.) - which can be used on its own
- the VST plugins (.dll) - which are the ones we want Reaper to find (in order to be able to load and use these plugins inside Reaper)

So basically after the products were installed, it should only be necessary to make sure that the path to the install folder of the .dll plugin files is included in the VST Paths in Reaper (Preferences > Plug-Ins > VST).
If you don't see the .dll file extension in the Windows File Explorer, then it's most likely the case that file extensions are hidden: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/show-file-extensions

When you open Native Access and click on a product entry under [Installed products], you should see info about the install paths of this product on the right side in the [Installation Path] Tab.

In general, I would not recommend to move any .dll plugin files from NI products manually (unless you know what you are doing ), since this usually breaks the path references and you will most likely have path problems the next time you want to install an update!

-----------------------------
If you already moved files around too much or don't know anymore what the original install locations were, it's probably easier to start fresh and reinstall these products.
- https://support.native-instruments.c...-Native-Access
- https://support.native-instruments.c...cts-on-Windows

And also check install paths before doing a reinstall in the Preferences of Native Access: https://support.native-instruments.c...-Native-Access
-----------------------------

As a side note: you can find some general hints about plugin organization under Windows here: https://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials...e--audio-10021
Although the article uses a different DAW (Ableton Live) in the example, the steps for organizing plugin files in a custom plugin folder are the same. The only difference is basically how you add the custom plugin folder in Reaper (Preferences > Plug-Ins > VST).

Last edited by solger; 11-09-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:09 AM   #9
solger

1) Check or do a search on your computer where the .dll plugin files were installed to (Massive.dll, Reaktor 6.dll, etc.).
2) Then in Reaper Preferences > Plug-Ins > VST check if this folder is already part of the plugin path. If not [Add] the folder to the path.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CByHPXk3Flw

In case you haven't already found them, make sure to check out the User Guide (https://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php) and the Videos section (https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php) in general.
Like chapter 1.16 Enabling VST Plug-ins.

Quote:
Ive thought about trying to move maschine files into the reaper plugins folder(like u would with most other Reaper plugs), but i know u are not supposed to move maschine fIles around or it won't be able to locate the correct pathways any more.
In addition, it's also not recommended to put any 3rd party plugins (like the ones from NI) into Reaper's own plugin folder, in general.
That's what the default or manually added plugin folders in the VST plugin path are for ...

Last edited by solger; 11-07-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:16 PM   #10
Emotionmelodiez

Appreciate the advise.

I will try both of these suggestions...but about moving maschine to the plugin path, Wich of the many files maschine installed would I be trying to move?
Do u think after moving it maschine will still function properly? As far as being to locate associated libraries/ file pathways I mean?
Im scared itless that by moving stuff around i will make everything a big mess that I'll never be able to sort back out again lol. I've read some horror stories while researching how to fix these kind of problems.

Or should I just try to reinstall maschine and start over?

P.s...Sorry to be a pain, but please assume I know almost nothing about installing/managing software files because I know very little. I've been a hardware guy for years. Hardware EVERYTHING. Im talking hard track recorders and midi chains a mile long lol.
But since discovering Reaper Im trying to finally make the switch. It's just waaaayyy more intuitive with a lot less fuss than the other DAWs I've tried(like pro tools and ableton). I bought a brand new computer strictly for music production, but im way behind the curve when it comes to computers and software.

And this is a perfect example why...its driving me nuts! I can't wait to(hopefully) get everything working properly so I can make some music! Lol

I genuinly thank u guys for taking time to help a software nube sort it out. :-)
Do u use maschine inside of reaper? If so what's ur process/midi config?

UPDATE!:::I've tried to move into plugin folder in reason, not working. Tried maschine, massive, guitar rig...nothing.
Not sure how to locate the dll file u were talking about(or even what that means)...?
I do see all reapers plugin files are dll tho.

No close to making ANY PLUGIN open except the 3 that come with reaper(reaSynDr, reaSynth, and reaSAMPLOMATIC)...??

Anone who uses Maschine or any natibe instrument's software know what I need to do? Help! Dying to make music, not mess around with software configs!

Last edited by Emotionmelodiez; 11-08-2017 at 09:54 PM.