Old 02-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
Coachz
Human being with feelings

Default metronome count-in and pre-roll

Thought I'd pass this info on for those that don't know.

Count-in is how many measures you will get a metronome tick before playback or recording. Count-in does NOT have monitoring.

Pre-roll is how many measures you will get the current media playing back before the current cursor position begins playing back or recording. Pre-roll DOES have monitoring.

If you start with an empty project and do pre-roll, it doesn't play anything because nothing exists.

If you have recorded audio already and put your cursor at measure 10 and set:
count-in to 2 and pre-roll to 2, you will get a count-in tick starting at measure 6 with no other audio and then at measure 8 the pre-roll will play back the audio for 2 measure up to measure 10. Then it will play or record based on what you picked.

During Pre-roll it does not record.

Last edited by Coachz; 02-02-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
fsenseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Thought I'd pass this info on for those that don't know.

Count-in is how many measures you will get a metronome tick before playback or recording. Count-in does NOT have monitoring.

Pre-roll is how many measures you will get the current media playing back before the current cursor position begins playing back or recording. Pre-roll DOES have monitoring.

If you start with an empty project and do pre-roll, it doesn't play anything because nothing exists.

If you have recorded audio already and put your cursor at measure 10 and set:
count-in to 2 and pre-roll to 2, you will get a count-in tick starting at measure 6 with no other audio and then at measure 8 the pre-roll will play back the audio for 2 measure up to measure 10. Then it will play or record based on what you picked.

During Pre-roll it does not record.
Well, thank you very much. I've been following the thread and I'm sure I could have figured it out from the manual or testing. Your explanation saved me some time so thanks for posting it.

Kind Regards,
Fleet
fsenseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
Coachz

Anytime, I could not fine pre-roll mentioned in the manual btw.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:33 PM   #4
wurlygreg

[thread bump]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Anytime, I could not fine pre-roll mentioned in the manual btw.
It IS in the manual now, but I still had to come here to actually discover what it really means. ;^)

Greg.
wurlygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:41 AM   #5
mykrobinson

Apparently pre-roll actually DOES record. If you trim back your recorded item, you'll find audio during the pre-roll portion.This is great where there might be a lead in or pick attack that needs to blend into the recorded section correctly. Just have the performer play along to the pre-roll.
mykrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:45 PM   #6
eliot

Hey, thanks for posting this. I was getting a little frustrated that I couldn't hear until it was recording. Obviously, I'm a terrible manual reader.
eliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:00 AM   #7
Goldreap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykrobinson View Post
Apparently pre-roll actually DOES record. If you trim back your recorded item, you'll find audio during the pre-roll portion.This is great where there might be a lead in or pick attack that needs to blend into the recorded section correctly. Just have the performer play along to the pre-roll.
Pre-roll record came in v5.33
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #8
Edgemeal

I can't believe there isn't the option, "Pre-Roll + Count-in before recording", so that you can monitor and also get a count in before recording, unless I'm missing something (v5.95)? The DAW I used back in 1995 did this, tho it didn't have pre-roll since monitoring was always enabled.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:43 PM   #9
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
I can't believe there isn't the option, "Pre-Roll + Count-in before recording", so that you can monitor and also get a count in before recording, unless I'm missing something (v5.95)? The DAW I used back in 1995 did this, tho it didn't have pre-roll since monitoring was always enabled.
I just tried setting a 2-bar count-in and a 2-bar pre-roll and... it counted 2 bars and then pre-rolled for two bars. What's the problem?
Old 09-12-2018, 06:59 PM   #10
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
I just tried setting a 2-bar count-in and a 2-bar pre-roll and... it counted 2 bars and then pre-rolled for two bars. What's the problem?
Exactly, I hear count-in but no monitoring for 2 beats, then I get monitoring but no count-in for 2 beats.

I want pre-roll + count-in for x beats, I wan't to hear my guitar and the count-in before recording.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:05 PM   #11
Lokasenna

Ah, I see now. I've got a script idea forming...
Old 09-12-2018, 07:27 PM   #12
Lokasenna

I've just uploaded Enable metronome until playback reaches edit cursor to ReaPack.

Put it into a custom action so that the Record action is run first if you have Reaper's pre-roll turned on, although if you're using a custom action it's easy to build a pre-roll yourself with the "move edit cursor actions".

Let me know how it works.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:45 PM   #13
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
I've just uploaded Enable metronome until playback reaches edit cursor to ReaPack.
Interesting! It works (custom script starts record first) but only if "Run metronome during record" is enabled which I have disabled for my default project setting, so all my projects have that disabled. Is there a way to on/off/toggle "Run metronome during record" from script too?

Also if the metronome is already enabled before starting the script there is no count-in.

EDIT, I see SWS/AW: Enable/Disable metronome during recording, I'll try adding that to the script to see if I can get it to work.

Note says, "This must be used *AFTER* the Record action if Pre-Roll is enabled" , not true here, I have to have pre-roll enabled or it doesn't work at all.

Last edited by Edgemeal; 09-13-2018 at 01:05 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:18 AM   #14
Lokasenna

Weird. Without preroll your action has to put the play cursor back and start playback itself, but it was working here if I ran the script, clicked a few bars to the left, and hit Record.

Will fiddle with some of the other Reaper options.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:14 AM   #15
Edgemeal

I messed around with it a little, trying to get it to also reset metronome settings if I stop before recording, seems to be working when started from 0, haven't tried much else, I won't really know until I'm actually jamming and recording, I then go into user mode and expect things to just work!

EDIT Updated to make sure 'Pre-roll before recording' is enabled, and disable it after recording starts.
Code:
local editPos

local function loop() -- &1=playing,&2=pause,&=4 is recording
  -- If recording started or user halts before count-in is finished then...
  -- Note: If you stop the recording before count-in is finished there will be a delay before these commands are run, 
  -- ,so works best when count-in/pre-roll is short, like 2 measures.
  if (((reaper.GetPlayState() & 4 == 4) or ((reaper.GetPlayState() & 0 == 0))) and reaper.GetPlayPosition2() >= editPos - 0.15) then
    -- Disable metronome
    reaper.Main_OnCommand(41746, 0) -- Options: Disable metronome
    -- Disable pre-roll on record if enabled
    local sr = reaper.SNM_GetIntConfigVar("preroll", 0)
    if ((sr & 2) == 2) then  -- 'Pre-roll before recording' is enabled, disable it!
      reaper.Main_OnCommand(41819, 0)-- Pre-roll: Toggle pre-roll on record  
    end    
    -- SWS/AW: Disable metronome during recording
    reaper.Main_OnCommand(reaper.NamedCommandLookup('_SWS_AWMRECOFF'), 0)
  else
    reaper.defer(loop)
  end
end

local function Main()
  -- Edgemeal added >>>
  -- Make sure metronome is disabled or count-in is 2x longer (we can't hear guitar during this time either!).
  reaper.Main_OnCommand(41746, 0) -- Options: Disable metronome
  -- 'Count-in before recording' AND 'Pre-roll before recording' must be enabled for this to work!
  reaper.Main_OnCommand(reaper.NamedCommandLookup('_SWS_AWCOUNTRECON'), 0)-- SWS/AW: Enable count-in before recording
  if not ((sr & 2) == 2) then  -- 'Pre-roll before recording' is off, enable it!
  end
  -- enable option 'metronome during recording' or will not work as expected, normally disabled in my projects, we'll re-disable it in defer loop!
  reaper.Main_OnCommand(reaper.NamedCommandLookup('_SWS_AWMRECON'), 0)-- SWS/AW: Enable metronome during recording
  -- enable recording
  reaper.Main_OnCommand(1013, 0) -- Transport: Record
  -- Edgemeal added <<<
  editPos = reaper.GetCursorPosition()
  reaper.Main_OnCommand(41745, 0) -- Options: Enable metronome
  reaper.defer(loop)
end

Main()

Last edited by Edgemeal; 09-15-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:28 AM   #16
Philbo King

It would be cool if preroll & count in also worked when looping to record takes at the start of each new loop.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:05 PM   #17
woogish

VERY cool!!!!!!!!!!
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:39 PM   #18
Edgemeal

Was trying to use SNM_SetIntConfigVar to change metronome settings, but couldn't figure out what values to pass to get what I wanted, Anyway to make sure 'Pre-roll before recording' is enabled before recording starts I added this,

Code:
  if not ((sr & 2) == 2) then -- 'Pre-roll before recording' is off, enable it!
  end
Also updated post #15, basically the script I'm gonna try over weekend, fingers crossed!
Old 06-10-2019, 06:58 PM   #19
neilslade

Default CURSOR START WRONG SOLUTION

The COUNT IN i.e PRE_ROLL is UNDER THE METRONOME SETTINGS whether you use the metronome or not.

To get the playback to start where you set the cursor- under metronome settings, bottom right- set PRE ROLL to "0" not any other number.
neilslade is offline   Reply With Quote