Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 10-26-2020, 06:58 PM   #1
rodnino
Human being with feelings

Default Lasso on clip envelope not functioning the same as track envelope

Apologies if this is not considered a bug but I believe both situations warrant the same functionality.

As seen in the .GIF when you lasso over track envelope, in this case volume envelope, get your time selection and then press a custom command, in this case creating 4 envelope points and raising by 2db, it works as you expect it would. Now if you try do the same lasso over your clip volume automation and press your custom command it does not recognise the volume automation line and does not respond the same way.

I much prefer to work with clip volume automation and feel both actions should be the same functionality. Yes I can hold ctrl, place my mouse on the bar between the time selection and raise it that way but that workflow isn't ideal for me.

Anyone else had this issue? I am hoping it's an easy fix/implementation, that others can get on board with.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: gif Reaper - Clip Automation Lassoo Bug.gif (53.3 KB, 130 views)
rodnino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:30 PM   #2
Etc.etera

Yeah, that definitely seems like an inconsistency between the two features. I feel like they should behave the same way, but perhaps for some reason its intentional? Can't think why though...
Etc.etera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:15 PM   #3
tbnicnac

That is a pain if item automation is your preferred approach. Weird one. Hopefully an easy fix in next release?
tbnicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:30 PM   #4
Fabian

It is because the item envelope does not get selected when you right-drag over it. Only the item gets selected, not the envelope.

When you drag in the track envelope lane, it is clear that the track envelope should be selected. But it is the same if you have the track envelope shown in the media lane. Again, right-drag only selects the item, not the envelope.

Selecting the envelope whenever the item gets selected or right-dragged over, would be problematic if there are several item envelopes enabled or track envelopes in the item lane; which one should be selected?
Old 10-21-2021, 02:53 AM   #5
Infrabass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Selecting the envelope whenever the item gets selected or right-dragged over, would be problematic if there are several item envelopes enabled or track envelopes in the item lane; which one should be selected?
It could select every take envelopes displayed.
If you don't want to affect a specific take envelope you could hide it.

To be honest, I think the whole take envelope system would greatly benefit of a refinement because it can become very crowded if let's say an item have a volume, pan, stretch markers + pitch take envelopes.

I wrote a bunch of script that toggle take envelope modes.
So if I need to adjust some take volume envelopes, I run a script that show take volume envelopes for EVERY items in the project, tweak the envelope(s) then re-run the script to hide take volume envelopes.

The idea is to show take envelopes and stretch markers only when needed.
Much cleaner this way.

If you use this method, the area selection could perfectly affect the take envelope like track envelope (eventually with different mouse modifiers).

I hope the devs would take into consideration this idea.
Infrabass is offline   Reply With Quote