Old 08-31-2017, 05:01 AM   #1
Arpegia
Human being with feelings

Default Bad Sync with video export

Hello,

I have a problem when I Render Video mp4 file.

When I check the movie export, the sound start earlier than what I had in the session.

Is it because I have several plugins on the Master Track ?

I try with another setup Option (offline Render idle) but it doesn't change anything.

If somebody found the solution, it's welcome :-))
Old 08-31-2017, 08:44 AM   #2
serr

Disclaimer: I'm an extreme Luddite with video!

I am aware that all end consumer video formats are lossy and that the aim is to preserve said lossy video without introducing re-encoding.

I found this app Vordio that lets you replace the audio and remux new audio with the original untouched video file.

The big disclaimer with this - and I believe this is SOP with video apps in general - is you need to give it "legal" formats. If you tell it to use a format or container that is non-standard, it will go malicious compliance and do just that. And then nothing will play it. Or it might just sit there and not so much even give you an error message. Tell it the correct formats and it just works.

Use Vordio or MPEG Streamclip to strip the audio file out to work on. Then mux the new audio back into the original video/audio file with Vordio.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:48 AM   #3
Arpegia

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Disclaimer: I'm an extreme Luddite with video!

I am aware that all end consumer video formats are lossy and that the aim is to preserve said lossy video without introducing re-encoding.

I found this app Vordio that lets you replace the audio and remux new audio with the original untouched video file.

The big disclaimer with this - and I believe this is SOP with video apps in general - is you need to give it "legal" formats. If you tell it to use a format or container that is non-standard, it will go malicious compliance and do just that. And then nothing will play it. Or it might just sit there and not so much even give you an error message. Tell it the correct formats and it just works.

Use Vordio or MPEG Streamclip to strip the audio file out to work on. Then mux the new audio back into the original video/audio file with Vordio.
Thank you Serr,

in fact, till today, I used Protools for video export. But I see the possibilité in Reaper it's why I wanted to try. But it's very fast and easy with Protools then, I schould keep this process. :-)
Old 08-31-2017, 08:48 PM   #4
swiiscompos

Still, your problem is strange, I never experienced it but I want to make sure it's not a bug that can happen to me some day!
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 02:29 PM   #5
djabthrash

Hi !

I'm having a similar problem today !

In my Reaper session i have 2 tracks :

- 1 video track (which has audio on it)

- 1 audio track

They're both perfectly in sync when i playback in Reaper, however they are out of sync in each other on the rendered file of the master.

I tried many things suggesting in the following "Reload this Page Tracks suddenly out of sync after rendering them" thread :

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=195623

Including :

- making sure the playback rate is at 1 all the time

- removing FX from the tracks/items

- trying different types of rendering options : offline full-speed, offline 1x, online 1x, etc

- using a very high buffer size setting (i used the max available on my RME interface : 2048 samples)

Trying all of these things above didn't change anything : in my rendered file, the tracks (audio vs video/audio) are out of sync ...

It drives me nuts because i've never had a problem with syncing when i used to render videos from Reaper before, and i used the exact same settings as usual :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/68etyrs5la...tings.jpg?dl=0

The only difference this time is that my video file is on an external hard drive, whereas my audio file is on my system (SSD) hard-drive.
Can it make a difference ?

Looking forward to hear from you guys since i'm stuck here ...
djabthrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:53 PM   #6
Arpegia

Quote:
Originally Posted by djabthrash View Post
Hi !

I'm having a similar problem today !

In my Reaper session i have 2 tracks :

- 1 video track (which has audio on it)

- 1 audio track

They're both perfectly in sync when i playback in Reaper, however they are out of sync in each other on the rendered file of the master.

I tried many things suggesting in the following "Reload this Page Tracks suddenly out of sync after rendering them" thread :

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=195623

Including :

- making sure the playback rate is at 1 all the time

- removing FX from the tracks/items

- trying different types of rendering options : offline full-speed, offline 1x, online 1x, etc

- using a very high buffer size setting (i used the max available on my RME interface : 2048 samples)

Trying all of these things above didn't change anything : in my rendered file, the tracks (audio vs video/audio) are out of sync ...

It drives me nuts because i've never had a problem with syncing when i used to render videos from Reaper before, and i used the exact same settings as usual :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/68etyrs5la...tings.jpg?dl=0

The only difference this time is that my video file is on an external hard drive, whereas my audio file is on my system (SSD) hard-drive.
Can it make a difference ?

Looking forward to hear from you guys since i'm stuck here ...
Could your try this :

Go to preference - Media - Video/import/Misc :

At the top of the window set the "video output delay" to 200 ms.

Let me know ;-)
Old 11-21-2020, 03:25 AM   #7
djabthrash

@arpegia : gonna try that, thank you !

I just realized i used to work with a 128 buffer size, and it's the first time i work with a 2048 buffer size, so that may be the culprit.

I'll let you know.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:18 AM   #8
djabthrash

I just tried the +2000 ms in the Reaper video settings, suggested a few posts above.

What it seems to do is :

- when watching the (original) video in Reaper (playback), alongside the other (audio) tracks : the frames of the (original) video are delayed by 2000ms, but the audio of this video is still in the same place (so the audio of your original video gets out of sync).
So basically all your audio is in sync, but what you're watching (the frames)is out of sync with all the audio.

- when rendering : the rendered file has the audio (from the original video) in sync with the frames, BUT the audio/video from the original video file are still out of sync with the rest of the audio tracks

I also tried using +2048 instead of +2000, to have the same amount as my buffer size, and it behaves the same.

It was a nice thing to investigate and discover (i didn't know about that option before), but it didn't solve my problem unfortunately.

I'm gonna try some other things from now on (using a buffer size at 128 like i used to do for my previous videos, and putting all the media files on the same hard drive).
Old 11-22-2020, 02:43 PM   #9
djabthrash

So i run more tests :

- using the same low buffer size as i used to : 128 : no difference

- moving all my media (audio, video) to the same hard drive (external, and then internal SSD) : no difference

- printing the audio of my source video file on a separate track, and muting the audio of the source video file, so that i separate the video and audio content in my session : no difference

- setting the project in 48k (the source video was in 48k, and the other audio tracks were in 44k, then converted automatically in 48k by Reaper) : no difference, even if i exported in 48k

No matter what i did, even if everything was perfectly in sync in Reaper, it was out of sync in the rendered video file...

Then i realized it was the first time i had a video project where i used the audio from the original video as well as audio from other tracks, so i decided to do things by the rules and start from scratch with a blank Reaper project set to 48000hz, import all my media in it (video file in 48k, and one audio track in 44k, automatically converted to 48k by Reaper), printing the audio from the video file on a separate track (and muting the audio of the video track), making sure everything was synced (for some reason, i had to shift the printed audio track to sync it with the video track it came from), and then rendered in 48k.
And i finally got a rendered video file where everything was in sync !
Finally !

So my conclusion is that :

- even if the playback sounds fine in Reaper, the rendered file can sound fucked/different

- if you work with video and audio files, not necessarily in the same frequency (audio files 44k, video in 48k), but not using the audio from the original video file, your rendered file will most likely sound ok AKA in sync (this is what i've experienced so far)

- however, in the same conditions, if you happen to also use the audio from your video files, and they're mixed to audio tracks that are not in the same frequency (48k vs 44k), then you're likely to get sync issues in the rendered file, even if playback sounded fine in Reaper ...
So what you need to do in this case is follow the procedure i described above.