Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-01-2007, 08:38 PM   #81
tweed
Human being with feelings

I'll be looking to see if it's way smaller than a deb standard install. have to say i really like deb.
tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:56 PM   #82
mrjwalsh

well i had a look on the debian site and found:
debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso 139MB

which I assume is the equivalent to Arch base/net install:
Archlinux-i686-2007.08.1-Don't-Panic-Base.iso 145MB

ooo close.
But seriously debian is probably the most stable distro ever made and so I'm sure it would be hard to leave it.

In comparison, Debian is better for stability, but when I say that in relation, Windows is a 3 out of 10, SuSE/Ubuntu etc 6 out of 10, Arch 8 out of 10 and Debian 9 out of 10.
Speed wise no one has really tested but people say there pretty much exactly the same.
Some more things I love about Arch are that it's quite a bit easier to setup than Debian, it's not n00b friendly but takes alot less work; also ALL the packages are i686 optimised, so you can't use an ancient machine but compiling and what not is super fast.

Anyways Linux is and has always been about choice, if you don't like Arch don't use it, however it makes an excellent test bed for my tutorial audio installation because I can tweak and explain everything from scratch and hopefully turn a few people to the ways of the Linux once I'm done.
mrjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:24 AM   #83
tweed

The netinst still downloads a ton of stuff to create a standard install as I believe and think I have experienced... becomes either 600 meg-ish or 900 can't recall. if the 145 of arch's base install is all it needs [plus some for expanding out] that's pretty cool...

big thanks for the pointing out of arch...! sees like a very cool community...
tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:28 AM   #84
StudioDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjwalsh View Post
I'm doing this cause theres barely any documentation out there for something that is totally feasible these days; I'll let you guys know how it's going in a few weeks.
Just so you don't waste time reinventing the wheel:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/blog/800764

http://ladspavst.linuxaudio.org/
StudioDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:32 AM   #85
StudioDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasymbol View Post
hehe, thats the way of life. Ralf, the dev of wineasio also made the full featured jackdriver (and midiout plugin) for eXT2 Linux.
And Reaper was not his main goal for starting the wineasio, he wanted to work with the NordModular G2 demo
Just to be clear: The wineasio project was begun by Robert Reif. I did some testing for him when he wrote it. Ralf's additions and maintenance are most welcome, but he didn't start the project.
StudioDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:12 PM   #86
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweed View Post
I'll be looking to see if it's way smaller than a deb standard install. have to say i really like deb.
Does Ian know about this?

I'm all about Debian. I've tried Slack, SuSE, Mand*, Fedora, Red Hat, *Ubuntu, Gentoo, and a few other minor ones. I've had far and away the best success with Debian. I went from Slink all the way up to Woody through dist-upgrades (i.e. no reinstall). Then my machine died and it was time to start again anyway.

Of course, I liked Slackware very much way back in the day. apt won me over.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #87
scum

PCLinuxOS. Wait till new "minime" appears. Just check it.
scum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:18 PM   #88
mrjwalsh

thanks Dave, am I to assume correctly that you are one and the same? I think I've read most of these before but I'll definitely give em a read again.
I really want to streamline everything into as little documentation as possible. If only for myself, so I can do it again sometime and have it all working in under an hour.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:53 AM   #89
AndersM

Hey there!

I use ubuntu for websurfing ect. and have been experimenting with Reaper in Wine lately. Unfortunately I can't loose the windows partition because of the lack of linux drivers for my TC Konnekt24D soundcard. I just use the internal soundcard.
I have most plugins working and my Korg PadKontrol which is cool. I didn't expect usb midi to work...
So I have enough up and running to eg. program drums with the Korg and DFHS, but I have some strange problems with Wine/Compiz.
I run Compiz Fusion and thought it would be cool to have different windows on different sides of the cube. Main window on one, mixer on the other and so on.
The problem is that sometimes when I return to the main window it is gone, and I have to kill the proccess in system monitor. The GUI doesn't update when the window isn't in focus either. E.g. if I'm on the main window and spin the cube to the mixer, the meters doesn't work until I let go of the mouse. The GUI has to redraw and I get a cpu spike...

Anyone have a clue? Probably related to wine or compiz.

Thanks
AndersM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:39 AM   #90
BoxOfSnoo

Wine probably doesn't recognize that you can have a monitor that extensive. If it viewed it as a separate monitor, maybe.

I would say turn off you Compiz stuff when running audio apps though, save the CPU cycles for the audio tasks.

Does it work with regular (Gnome/KDE) multi-desktops?
Old 10-19-2007, 01:34 PM   #91
w00t

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldi View Post
this is great. jorgen from energyXT will be very displeased to hear that maybe all his efforts to port energyxt to linux was a waste of time.

i dont think so....native linux is a different beast, and imo will end up supporting not just native (linux) vst, but all the OTHER linux formats (ladspa et all)...

not to mention that there is a "jack-enabled" engine that can let the "win" eXT wire into the "lin" xt2, or any other jack supported thing-a-majig which includes reaper running with wineasio

but yeah....im an eXT nut, yes (and falling hard for reaper as well)

i use both in wineasio, and both seem to work well, but...tbh i think as far as pure comparing native windows performance to wineasio, i would say XT2 takes less of a hit than reaper does, but its very minimal if you have the right setup.

i'll take linux audio any way i can

wow this is an old thread....so maybe im a bit late to reaper (started using only with V2) but am very active in wineasio so i would like to give some input here and there

Last edited by w00t; 10-19-2007 at 01:37 PM. Reason: realizations
w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 02:19 AM   #92
scum

btw "luna" works too

[IMG]http://img87.**************/img87/772/lunaua9.th.png[/IMG]
scum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:43 AM   #93
w00t

Default cool

didnt know luna worked! ive gotten traction 2 and 3 to load (very glitchy, unuasable imho, more wine hacking is needed), but cantabile light is a good one to use too. great as a "minihost" you can route the audio out of etc...
Old 10-25-2007, 02:55 PM   #94
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Hey guys, Im not sure who to ask, and hopefully someone could point me in the right direction, but is there ANY chance someone could port wineasio to the BeOS version called "Zeta"?
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:30 AM   #95
shane

Got up and running on Ubuntu Gutsy in about 5 minutes. Seems to work great based on a quick 10 minute test. A few UI glitches, but the audio and VSTs that I tried worked perfectly. Nice job. Now if only the MOTU would work...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot.jpg (63.6 KB, 587 views)

Last edited by shane; 11-04-2007 at 02:13 PM.
shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:16 PM   #96
rotylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane View Post
Got up and running on Ubuntu Gutsy in about 5 minutes. Seems to work great based on a quick 10 minute test. A few UI glitches, but the audio and VSTs that I tried worked perfectly. Nice job. Now if only the MOTU would work...
was that 64 bit?
rotylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:14 PM   #97
shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotylee View Post
was that 64 bit?
Nah, x86. But I've heard it's possible but imprefect with 64 bit here:

http://www.davehayes.org/2007/04/27/...-with-wineasio

Look at Dave's 10/5 comment...
Old 11-05-2007, 08:52 PM   #98
jimmer

hey guys,

i found this thread by accident, but it was so interesting that i read the whole thing and now am REALLY excited about running my favorite audio app (Reaper) under a linux distro.

I've had very minimal experience with linux in the past (I tried to install many many distros, but couldnt manage any except Ubuntu, which i then used as a general use computer; OpenOffice, web browsing, listening to Cd's), but i would love to migrate my audio operation to linux...

however, i do not have a clue about which distro to use.
there were so many distros mentioned in the thread that my head started to spin, and i have no idea which to start on.
I would like something that can run reaper and this wineasio that seems so kickarse, but it also needs to be something that is really really simple. (dumb simple, especially installation).

any suggestions?

(btw, i have two computers i could use... a P4 dell, or a core2 macbook using bootcamp)
jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:24 AM   #99
mrguitarmann

Default WineASIO

This is the very news that has drawn me to Reaper, having moved from Cubase to Ardour, I find that this method would provide a more reliable VST host than wrapping each plugin seperately

I've just downloaded the exe, and if I get my head round it will be registering

Tom
mrguitarmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:43 AM   #100
Annoying Twit

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodslanding View Post
Anybody tried Bidule under linux?

Oops, guess I'm wandering OT....
It complains that I don't have the appropriate fonts yet.
Annoying Twit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:55 AM   #101
Annoying Twit

I have Reaper installed and working on my Fedora core 4 laptop. It seemed to work fine at home when I had only the standard onboard audio. At work I have a M-Audio fasttrack Pro. Usually this works reasonably for output. But I can't make Reaper play its output through the Fasttrack, it only comes out through the laptop speakers.

I have jackd -d alsa running, but under qjackctl (which I'm not used to using) I can't seem to find an a way of getting the audio to come out the fasttrack pro.

I've created whatever output plugs from the wine asio client I can, and created all input plugs, and connected everything to everything. But nothing comes through the USB Fasttrack Pro.

I only have "alsa" as output in winecfg, as recommended in documentation. The sound is clearly going through jack as if I kill jackd, sound stops.

The Fasttrack Pro is my standard alsa output device, and mplayer -ao alsa works fine.

Can anyone put me out of my misery?
Annoying Twit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:41 AM   #102
mrjwalsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer View Post
hey guys,

i found this thread by accident, but it was so interesting that i read the whole thing and now am REALLY excited about running my favorite audio app (Reaper) under a linux distro.

I've had very minimal experience with linux in the past (I tried to install many many distros, but couldnt manage any except Ubuntu, which i then used as a general use computer; OpenOffice, web browsing, listening to Cd's), but i would love to migrate my audio operation to linux...

however, i do not have a clue about which distro to use.
there were so many distros mentioned in the thread that my head started to spin, and i have no idea which to start on.
I would like something that can run reaper and this wineasio that seems so kickarse, but it also needs to be something that is really really simple. (dumb simple, especially installation).

any suggestions?

(btw, i have two computers i could use... a P4 dell, or a core2 macbook using bootcamp)

To get started might I suggest Ubuntu Studio? It's a modded version of Ubuntu made for audio recording and media editing. It has the realtime kernel installed by default and it has a pretty nice interface. Another alternative would be the JAD distro. Which is based off SuSE I believe.

Not sure if both come with wine preinstalled but your going to have to install Reaper manually, its easy, lots of people have said how to. As for wineasio it might be hard to find this in a neat package as there are license restrictions permitting people to do this, same sort of problems with mp3's on Linux. However there are lots of tutorials online on how to install wineasio in Ubuntu Studio and JAD.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:24 AM   #103
S-N-S

im downloading linuxmint 4,0 right now,im gonna check if reaper will work in it,and if its stable,because i wanted(when i get a new harddrive for my laptop)to make a dualboot system with vista for internet,photoshop and xp for audio producing,but if linux mint is stable and i can get it running with out big problems i might try that

one thing thats frightening(for me that is)is all the coding for when you need to install programs and stuff??

btw the linux partition will be used for audio only

btw will reaper in linux run as it does in windows,with all the new features??

S-N-S

www.myspace.com/scandinaviannoizesyndicate

FOR NEWS AND INFO
http://digitalvomit.wikidot.com/scan...oize-syndicate

Last edited by S-N-S; 01-11-2008 at 10:26 AM.
S-N-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #104
w00t

Default hey

I have guide up and running in the howto forum to take you from install of ubuntu desktop to using reaper with wineasio check it out if your curious
Old 01-11-2008, 10:53 AM   #105
S-N-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
I have guide up and running in the howto forum to take you from install of ubuntu desktop to using reaper with wineasio check it out if your curious

but isent linuxmint 4,0 a different version than ubuntu or??do i install reaper the same way no matter what version of linux i use(linuxmint 4,0)

im a totally linux/coding newbie

S-N-S

FOR NEWS AND INFO
Old 01-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #106
w00t

Default linux mint is ubuntu based...

so the guide will work with linux mint i really like linux mint for its out the box codec support and stuff...but only the xfce version, i do not like there special gnome menu thing....
Old 01-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #107
S-N-S

Quote:
so the guide will work with linux mint i really like linux mint for its out the box codec support and stuff...but only the xfce version, i do not like there special gnome menu thing....

its the main edition with the gnome thing i am downloading

whats the difference between those versions??

S-N-S

FOR NEWS AND INFO
Old 01-11-2008, 12:23 PM   #108
w00t

basically the desktop environment.

the main linux mint along with the main ubuntu, use gnome as the desktop environment and nautilus as the file manager. linux mint xfce edition, is like xubuntu, which is ubuntu using the xfce desktop and thunar file manager. The reason i personally like xfce is because you get all the good stuff of gnome but with less cpu usage and thunar is much much faster than nautilus for file management (you can navigate through the filesystem simply using mouse gestures, as a quick example) ...so fundamentally there is nothing different about the system, just some of its looks and features. you could always install xfce/thunar after the fact to compare. one of the great things about linux
Old 01-11-2008, 01:30 PM   #109
eternal

Default Accessing mounted volume within Reaper / Ubuntu

If I install under wineasio, can I access my music directory from my windows partition inside the program ?

(some linux apps such as dj mixing programs wont allow this)

pls say it is so !!

thnx
eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:42 PM   #110
S-N-S

so does this mean that in the main edition with the gnome thing,i need to use codes everytime i need to do something or??

i will only have reaper and the vst (that works in linux)installed on the linux partition,my sample library will be put on a 40gb external usb harddisk

another thing,if i choose to use linux,that part wont be having access to the internet(as i will use it purely for music)soo how do i keep it updated??drivers and other things??

Quote:
basically the desktop environment.

the main linux mint along with the main ubuntu, use gnome as the desktop environment and nautilus as the file manager. linux mint xfce edition, is like xubuntu, which is ubuntu using the xfce desktop and thunar file manager. The reason i personally like xfce is because you get all the good stuff of gnome but with less cpu usage and thunar is much much faster than nautilus for file management (you can navigate through the filesystem simply using mouse gestures, as a quick example) ...so fundamentally there is nothing different about the system, just some of its looks and features. you could always install xfce/thunar after the fact to compare. one of the great things about linux

S-N-S

FOR NEWS AND INFO

Last edited by S-N-S; 01-11-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:02 PM   #111
Cybolic

I'm not sure what you mean by "codes", but if you mean using the commandline, the no, you don't _have_ to use it, but it will make it easier to do some things.

Both XFCE and Gnome gives you access to the commandline/terminal, they really only differ (slighly) in looks and (a lot in) memory usage.

And yes, you can access your Windows partitions from both Linux and Reaper in Linux.
Cybolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #112
Cybolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal View Post
If I install under wineasio, can I access my music directory from my windows partition inside the program ?

(some linux apps such as dj mixing programs wont allow this)

pls say it is so !!

thnx
What programs won't allow you to do this?
I've never encountered a Linux program with a a similar restriction, so this sounds a little odd to me.

Remember, you can do a lot with symbolic links.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #113
eternal

Default not allowing access to window partition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybolic View Post
What programs won't allow you to do this?
I've never encountered a Linux program with a a similar restriction, so this sounds a little odd to me.

Remember, you can do a lot with symbolic links.

in Mixxx (seems like the only decent linux dj app) I cant, and would love a dj app that would.

thnx
Old 01-11-2008, 07:25 PM   #114
eternal

Default ..

symbolic links ?
Old 01-11-2008, 07:28 PM   #115
eternal

Default windows

currently the only reason I have windows installed is for Numark Cue. Only thing on it, network devices disabled. I own a maya44 usb and can only get 2 channels with it in ubuntu (need 4x4 for timecode vinyl function) and there really isn't many 4x4 interfaces for linux (firebox but apparently buggy as all hell)

sry to get off topic.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:18 AM   #116
Cybolic

I've just installed and looked at Mixxx. It seems to me that you can just navigate to your Windows-partition and load the music files from there?

Symbolic links are a bit like shortcuts in Windows, except these are actual links and not just a text file.
You can use them for A LOT of things, one example could be to have a quick access to your Windows audio files in your home directory:
Code:
ln -s "/media/windows/Documents and Settings/User/My Audio" "$HOME/Windows Audio"
Of course you'll have to adjust the paths above to match your setup, but this is a great way to keep track of your files.

Note that this can be done easily by drag and drop as well, but the method differs slightly from Nautilus (Gnome) to Thunar (XFCE) to Konqueror (KDE) - but generally it involves holding down a modifier key (shift, alt, etc.) while dragging.

This is a handy tip for using Reaper as well, so I guess it's on topic

Last edited by Cybolic; 01-12-2008 at 02:22 AM.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:44 AM   #117
Alex Stone

Cybolic, you got it. Particularly for Reaper.

It's worth remembering here the useability of Linux has come a long way, for those not so familiar with the terminal or command line.
In my case Ubuntustudio has been excellent, and once i got my head around a couple of commands, and the flexibility one has at compile time, it's not difficult for those seriously interested in making the switch.

There are quite a few programmes and packages out there which compliment Reaper directly, and the Reap in Wine is running as sweetly for me than it did in windows. A bit of effort and the returns (imho) are greater.

And i can assure anyone wanting to take the linux journey with Reaper, if i can do it, given my lingering fondness for writing on parchment, then the rest of you are in with a real chance.
Just take it one step at time. (I take loads of notes, and that seems to help.)

Alex.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:32 AM   #118
S-N-S

after having problems with the linuxmint 4,0(i downloadet yesterday)i found a linux cd i apparently had laying around,its ubuntu version 6,0,6 lts

i tried to run it as live-cd on restart(as i dont have my new harddisk yet)and it started up fine(abit slow)but i think thats because i ran it from the cd???

i didnt have time to test how it works,but i now know that when i have the time,i will test it to see if it works on my laptop.i will for sure have some more questions when the time comes,so i will probaly post them here

but for now it looks good

S-N-S

FOR NEWS AND INFO
Old 01-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #119
daverich

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-N-S View Post
after having problems with the linuxmint 4,0(i downloadet yesterday)i found a linux cd i apparently had laying around,its ubuntu version 6,0,6 lts

i tried to run it as live-cd on restart(as i dont have my new harddisk yet)and it started up fine(abit slow)but i think thats because i ran it from the cd???

i didnt have time to test how it works,but i now know that when i have the time,i will test it to see if it works on my laptop.i will for sure have some more questions when the time comes,so i will probaly post them here

but for now it looks good
yeah you need to click the install icon on the live cd to get it on the hard drive.

Linux always runs slow from the cd.

Kind regards

Dave Rich
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:45 PM   #120
S-N-S

yes i am waiting for my new harddisk next month,was told that ubuntu version 6,0,6(thats the cd i found while cleaning)is a pretty old version,but it works well(at first glance,with no testing yet)is there a way i can update,or will that version be stable enough to use for audio??

S-N-S

FOR NEWS AND INFO