Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 05-16-2022, 05:44 AM   #1
paaltio
Human being with feelings

Default VE Pro plugin instantiation taking 35 seconds over x86 bridge in ARM64 REAPER

I wonder if anyone else has tried out Vienna Ensemble Pro with the ARM64 build of REAPER yet. VSL hasn't yet gotten around to updating their software for Apple Silicon, so VE Pro will continue to run through Rosetta with the x86 bridge for now (or you can run x86 REAPER in Rosetta of course, but I don't want to do that).

Fine, I thought, I'll take the slight performance hit while waiting for the native build.

And sure it works otherwise... but for some really weird reason the VST3 plugin itself takes 35 seconds to load in REAPER over the x86 bridge!

That seems a bit insane. Testing out another plugin that's still x86-only, Massive, and it takes about three seconds to load through reaper_host_x86_64. What on earth can be causing VE Pro to be so slow to load in the same way? Anyone come across similar issues?

EDIT: Should clarify this is still the eLicenser version of VE Pro, haven't tried out with iLok yet.

Last edited by paaltio; 05-16-2022 at 05:51 AM.
paaltio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 04:13 AM   #2
paaltio
Human being with feelings

Replying to myself as I've been experimenting a bit more with this, and realized the VST version does not take as long. It's just the VST3 version. In general Apple Silicon REAPER seems to be slower at initializing all VST3 plugins over the x86 wrapper than their VST counterparts.

So if you're having issue with long VST3 plugin loadtimes when using the ARM version of REAPER and loading x86 plugins, try regular old VST if the plugin has it.
paaltio is online now   Reply With Quote