Old 05-03-2017, 05:10 PM   #1
mlewis17
Human being with feelings

Default reaper_host32.exe

When I run Reaper 64 with bridged plugins, a process called reaper_host32.exe starts up with each opened project. This is in Windows 10. Those processes do not close, and after opening and closing 4 or 5 projects I have an equal amount of those processes running. Pretty soon they are all running at about 25% of cpu, and all those combined take up 99% of the cpu. This creates skipping and stutters. Am I missing a setting that closes the host32 when an associated project is closed? I have to manually end the processes in task manager. Even closing Reaper does not end those processes. None of this is a problem with Reaper 32 (32 bit plugins, no bridging) so I use that, which runs very well even on my cheap i3 desktop. Any thoughts most appreciated.
mlewis17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:41 PM   #2
AndreiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis17 View Post
When I run Reaper 64 with bridged plugins, a process called reaper_host32.exe starts up with each opened project. This is in Windows 10. Those processes do not close, and after opening and closing 4 or 5 projects I have an equal amount of those processes running. Pretty soon they are all running at about 25% of cpu, and all those combined take up 99% of the cpu. This creates skipping and stutters. Am I missing a setting that closes the host32 when an associated project is closed? I have to manually end the processes in task manager. Even closing Reaper does not end those processes. None of this is a problem with Reaper 32 (32 bit plugins, no bridging) so I use that, which runs very well even on my cheap i3 desktop. Any thoughts most appreciated.
I am experiencing the same issue with Windows 10 Pro x64 and reaper_host32.exe. It does not self close and it uses 20% CPU each. Sometimes I have 4 or 5 instances of this process. I close them manually.
AndreiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:13 PM   #3
leroik

I am having this same issue. Over and over again. Why isn't Reaper closing these processes when I close Reaper?
leroik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:05 AM   #4
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

If the host process doesn't close it's usually a wonky plug-in keeping it from doing so. Suspects are often old, made with some "save as VST" environment plug-ins or anything else that was already troublesome in 32-bit hosts. Windows 10 seems to have increased the trouble with those.

The usual strategy is removing half of the plug-ins from the project, saving the project, closing REAPER and checking if the host process closes. If it doesn't, reboot, rinse and repeat until it does. The problem was in the last bunch of plug-ins you removed then.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:24 PM   #5
leroik

Thanks Ollie. This is great, but I still don't understand why Reaper doesn't close the process for us, since it is a Reaper process. Surely the developers can program it to clean up after itself?
Old 03-04-2021, 02:39 AM   #6
leroik

Adding to this: I can kill the reaper_host32.exe process in Task Manager or using a kill script so SURELY Reaper can kill these processes on close?