Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-22-2016, 10:20 AM   #1
ZoeB
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper ignoring tempo / time signature markers

Hi all!

So I've imported a MIDI file into Reaper, and it's got some tempo changes in it, which appear as tempo / time signature markers at the top of the screen. When it gets to that part of the music, it claims to be changing the BPM accordingly, at the bottom of the screen... but it doesn't actually change the tempo. The cursor / play head (the line below the little triangle, whatever you call it) moves along at the same speed, and the notes play at the same speed.

I've tried editing the media item properties of the MIDI notes in question. Their item timebase is the track / project default timebase, and clicking the "take media source" section's properties button (so the properties of the properties), the MIDI item properties has ignoring the project tempo unticked. Which I believe is what I'm supposed to do, but I have no idea. I wouldn't have thought that's where my problem is, given that the play head is universal to the whole project, not specific to that particular media item, but I can't find any relevant project-wide settings...

What am I missing?

Thank you!
ZoeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:44 AM   #2
DarkStar

Perhaps you could compress the MIDI file into a ZIP file and post it here as an attachment so that we can have a look at it and see what's (not) happening?

How to post attachments (in Post #1)
Old 05-22-2016, 01:47 PM   #3
ZoeB

Done, thank you! I'm afraid it's not a particularly good piece of music, it's my first in months... But I'd definitely like to be able to fix whatever I've done to the tempo markers, especially for future reference. I've attached the Reaper file too, although without all the .wav files belonging to it, if that's any help. Thanks again, I appreciate your help!
Attached Files
File Type: zip tt-02-squishys-shuffle.mid.zip (1.8 KB, 126 views)
File Type: zip tt02.RPP.zip (20.4 KB, 140 views)
Old 05-25-2016, 04:01 AM   #4
ZoeB

I've listened to the results carefully, and it sounds like it is changing the tempo after all, it just doesn't look like it to watch the play head moving... I'm guessing this is simply a quirky way of implementing the tempo changes, and it's all working as it should be. My mistake, sorry!
Old 05-25-2016, 04:33 AM   #5
schwa
Administrator

Yes, I think this is working as expected. The timeline always shows the same horizontal space for one second of time regardless of the tempo, so as the tempo slows, the bar/beat markers (and MIDI, and anything that is pinned to the beat rather than the time) will move farther apart, but the play cursor will continue to move at a constant speed.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #6
ZoeB

Yeah, that explains it. I made an assumption there, ack. Thank you!