Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #1
Liquid Fusion
Human being with feelings

Default SOLVED !!! Record Audio Kit Synth One from iPad into Reaper w/ Wireless Midi

Looking for help working with the Audio One Synth using an external controller (Nektar - Impact GX49) on my iPad, to then record with Reaper / PC or Audio Pro multi-track on iPad?

AudioKit Synth One - PLAY (iPad iOS synthesizer app) - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=cPQL56Zowa0

SYNTH ONE by AudioKit - 100% FREE Mega Synth - OUT NOW - iPad Demo - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=dmit50MTtbQ

Last edited by Liquid Fusion; 06-02-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Liquid Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:27 PM   #2
viscofisy

I used this a year or more ago and had it working - https://zerodebug.com/studiomux

I've since lost the interest in recording from ipad to pc, so there may be other or better ways around that I haven't heard of.
_
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:11 PM   #3
Liquid Fusion

Not sure how to wire up the iPad Synth One to PC / Reaper. Thought it'd be easy to do.

This is what I can do so far -

1) If I plug a USB output from the Nextar Impact GX49 Keyboard controller into 2) a powered hub, then 3) take the hub output and plug that into 4) an Apple Lightning Camera adapter with power, and 5) connect a usb from the hub to 6) an Avantone powered mono speaker, then the Keyboard controller can play the Synth One on the Ipad, and I get sound on the Avantone speaker (Ipad shuts off it's speakers)!!

Like to get this digitally into Reaper on my PC. Almost there. Any ideas?

My ADDA Interface connects to my PC via USB. If I take the Interface usb and plug it into the powered hub, nothing happens. I've tried usb from powered hub to pc - Reaper doesn't see the Controller / iPad / Software. Unplugging all, connecting the powered hub to the pc, then adding the Keyboard controller usb to the hub, Reaper, in Win 10 Pro, sees the Nectar Keyboard. If I add a vst instrument to FX, I can play a Vsti in Reaper.

Last edited by Liquid Fusion; 02-19-2019 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:54 AM   #4
viscofisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Fusion View Post
Not sure how to wire up the iPad Synth One to PC / Reaper. Thought it'd be easy to do.

This is what I can do so far -

1) If I plug a USB output from the Nextar Impact GX49 Keyboard controller into 2) a powered hub, then 3) take the hub output and plug that into 4) an Apple Lightning Camera adapter with power, and 5) connect a usb from the hub to 6) an Avantone powered mono speaker, then the Keyboard controller can play the Synth One on the Ipad, and I get sound on the Avantone speaker (Ipad shuts off it's speakers)!!

Like to get this digitally into Reaper on my PC. Almost there. Any ideas?

My ADDA Interface connects to my PC via USB. If I take the Interface usb and plug it into the powered hub, nothing happens. I've tried usb from powered hub to pc - Reaper doesn't see the Controller / iPad / Software. Unplugging all, connecting the powered hub to the pc, then adding the Keyboard controller usb to the hub, Reaper, in Win 10 Pro, sees the Nectar Keyboard. If I add a vst instrument to FX, I can play a Vsti in Reaper.
You're not "almost there" if all you're doing is triggering the ipad synth with a hardware keyboard - how do you plan to get ipad Audio into Reaper digitally?

Are you using Studiomux like I suggested?

The spaghetti of cabling and all the the hassle (and latency) is the main reason I stopped linking an ipad to a pc.

You can just keep your USB keyboard connected to your pc via USB (as normal), and send MIDI from REAPER to the ipad (and Audio back to REAPER) iirc.
(Can't remember if I was using my Alesis IO Dock at that time, or just the ipad>>>pc cable).

Here's a thread explaining the Studiomux setup.
Like I said, other newer options might be available :

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=199844
_
Old 02-20-2019, 04:07 AM   #5
viscofisy

In the end I think you're much better off just buying a few good VSTi synths for use in Reaper. There must be hundreds of decent synths by now.
You won't have all the trouble wiring it up and hoping the apps play nice; or the latency.
Maybe the best thing about the ipad is the portability and spontaneity - but it's not very portable or spontaneous if you have to go through a rigmarole of wires and apps to connect it to a pc every time.
_
Old 04-25-2019, 02:40 PM   #6
Liquid Fusion

IPAD TO PC - Downloadable .pdf

Playing Audio Kit Synth One in iPad – Recording In Reaper PC
by Brewer Shettles

Tech specs for playing synth as an instrument in Apple IOS and recording in PC Win 10 Pro.

IOS – Plays Audio Kit Synth One. MSFT Win 10 PRO – Records Audio.
HD Crystal clear, no noise audio recordings of Audio Kit Synth One from iPad into Reaper!

Might seem complicated. Read this through. Be patient.

iPad Advantage (IOS): Where Audio Kit Synth One lives and breathes!!!!
PC Advantage (Win 10 Pro): Easier to multi track – mix – add Plugins – Master

Matthew Fecher (@analogMatthew) | Twitter
Audio Kit Synth One
https://audiokitpro.com/synth/

Update 1/31/19: Synth One is now available for iPhone! Read More
Update 12/20/18: Synth One now featured in every Apple Retail Store in USA!

I LOVE SYNTH ONE SOUND AND EFFECTS – BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!
Studeomux (Zerodebug) allows audio to transfer from iPad to PC. Latency. Not an issue.

REASON LATENCY NOT AN ISSUE
I adjust and sync audio to drums after recording audio tracks in Reaper from the iPad.

EXAMPLE: LIQUID FUSION – FIRE IN THE NIGHT
https://youtu.be/9QTuwTdeRKo

For critical timing, -ie bass to drums, I quantize by hand, each bass note to each drum beat. If a synth audio sounds "live," I listen down as the song plays, and cut audio to exact drums when it makes the most impact.

Audio Kit Synth One
- (19) Electro Clash Bass – Preset by: DJPuzzle
- Quantized by hand nearly every note, aligning each bass note to each drum beat
- (07) BB Dandelion – Preset by: Brice Beasley – left mostly alone as Track has "live feel"
- (47) Blessing of Dean – Preset by Electronisounds
- Listened down. Cut and aligned sections when music started to drift out of sync.

POINTS TO CONSIDER
Length of USB cable from Yamaha UD-BT01 adapter to keyboard. Might be best with 4 foot cables vs 6 foot cables. Studeomux latency with audio recorded in PC is under 200ms.

POWER FOR IPAD
- Make sure your IPad is fully charged

FUTURE TO DO:
Need to see if my Apple USB 3 Lightning Camera Adapter will work with a USB2-USB2 cable going from it to the PC, and a second Lightning-USB2 cable going to a charger to power all. Need to find a USB2-USB2 data cable that will work going from the Lightning camera connector to the PC.

WARNING
If you have an external interface unit that you connect to your PC, disconnect ADDA interface after use. Reason: In NYC, CON ED is known to have fluctuating voltage problems that happen early morning, especially during storms. Con Ed varying voltages can severely damage critical circuit boards rendering them useless. Remember, when done pull the plug!! My experience only.
Using quality surge protectors helps too. The higher the joule number the better the surge protection.

IPAD
Again, make sure your IPad is charged. Using: iPad Pro 2nd generation: 12" screen with an A10X Fusion chip with 64‑bit architecture and an Embedded M10 co processor. Powerful iPad.

CONNECTING KEYS TO IPAD WIRELESS MIDI + YAMAHA UD-BT01

Nektar Impact GX 49 – midi controller. Yamaha UD-BTOI USB wireless Bluetooth midi adapter connects keys to iPad. Bought gear @ Sweetwater – Mason Boisvert – No hassle. Great sales and service. A++++

Playing Audio Synth One with Virtual Keys in the iPad greatly reduces latency with audio recorded in Reaper in the PC when you line up audio to drums. Using the Yamaha UD-BT01 wirelessly, you don’t notice latency (200ms) when recording layering audio through Studeomux in the PC without drums. High quality Audio Kit Synth One tracks blending together are amazing.

Again, using wireless midi controller is fine if no drums are in the music. The CME Midi Keyboard has 7 ms latency. Might be the way to go.

IPAD - Download and run Yamaha Sound Control to connect midi. This application is the dedicated IPAD tool for MD-BT01/UD-BT01.
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...ity/index.html

Connect your keyboard by USB to the Yamaha UD-BT01 Bluetooth adapter. Open the Yamaha Sound Control App. Look for the Setting Wheel (upper right of box). Hit it. Tap Bluetooth Midi Device. Bluetooth Midi Devices "UD-BT01" on the left and "Not Connected" on the right. Tapping "Not Connected" changes the status to "Connected."

AUDIOBUS 3.0

Touch the iPad screen or the home button. Find Audiobus 3.0 and launch the app. Create a folder Midi on the iPad home screen. Add Audiobus 3.0, Studiomux, and Yamaha Sound control.

Launch Audiobus 3.0. Left button = Input = Add Audio Kit Synth One. Open it to see if it works. Then hit the Audiobus 3.0 icon. A vertical list opens. Tap the Left arrow to go back to Audiobus3.0. Right Output (Speaker) = Tap button and Add Studiomux. Tap Studiomux. It will ask you, "Load Last session?" Choose No. Right side vertical icons. Tap Audiobus 3.0 icon. Tap Left arrow. Returns to Audiobus 3.0.

If Studiomux says "Restart", remove it by pressing the "UP" arrow to the right. Re-enter the Studiomux icon. Studiomux icon ought to be solid. Next Upper Row = Left Input = Add Studiomux again. Next Row Right Output = Speaker (happens naturally). Leave alone.

PC PRE-CHECK
- PC SERVICES – Right click start – Left click Task Manager – Expand services tab
- Left column under Name (click Name to align services)
- Look for Apple Mobile Device Service and see if it's running
- Make sure Apple Mobile Device Services is running (Start-Stop-Start again)

ITUNES PRE-CHECK
- In iTunes, Click iPad icon – Check use WIFI Sync

CONNECT IPAD TO PC
- Use the lightning to USB cable that came with your iPad charger.
- iTunes will launch.
- Minimize iTunes.
- Make sure no music is playing on iTunes.

PC Studiomux SERVER PREPARATION
- Download and install – https://zerodebug.com/#/studiomux
- Add Studiomux Server to your PC
- Create folder C:\VST 64bit
- Right click Studiomux Server
- Install 64 bit and point to folder C:\VST 64bit
- Studiomux FX VSTi will load every time Reaper opens

REAPER
- Launch Reaper in your PC
- Add Track. Look for FX
- Developer – Zerodebug
- Look for Studiomux Generator
- Reaper VSTi
- Look for Studiomux Generator

- FX Studiomux Generator Panel
- Receive from Device: Device = No Device Connected, Channel = Connect Device First

- Launch Studiomux console (Pin it to taskbar):
- Left click Start - # hashtag – Z – Left click Zerodebug folder
- Right click Studiomux Consul – more (expand) click Pin to Taskbar
- Right click – left click properties – compatibility
- Set run this program as an administrator. Click OK.
- Launch (left click) Studiomux console from taskbar
- OK – Yes

- Check Track FX – FX Studiomux Generator Panel:
- Device = IPad Name Channel = 1.
- Check Drop down list for CH 8 = Synth One.

- If only Ch 1, unplug the lightning cable from the iPad and reinsert in iPad.
- Check Track FX – FX Studiomux Generator Panel:

- Device = IPad Name Channel = 1.
- Check Drop down list for CH 8 = Synth One
- Choose Ch 8 Synth One.
- This is CH 8 in the Studiomux app in the iPad.

Reaper – Options – Preferences – Audio – Midi Devices – Enable iPad connections
- Not needed for recording audio
- Might need to be enabled to record midi tracks.

Master
CTL ALT M brings up the upper left Master box in Reaper

TRACK WITH Studiomux FX
- Check Record Red Light ON
- Monitor Input = check
- Record Output to stereo
- Input = stereo mix – Ch1/Ch2

Trk 1 – Add Drums – ie: Superior Drums midi
Trk 2 – VSTi – FX – Studiomux Gen = Synth One Audio!!!

Bottom Line= Recorded HD Audio in Reaper / PC from playing Synth One in iPad
Making Apple & Windows work well together simultaneously
IOS – Plays Audio Kit Synth One
MSFT Win 10 PRO – Records Audio

Matthew Fecher (@analogMatthew) | Twitter
Audio Kit Synth One
https://audiokitpro.com/synth/

Update 1/31/19: Synth One is now available for iPhone! Read More
Update 12/20/18: Synth One now featured in every Apple Retail Store in USA!

Brewer Shettles
indie Audio Engineer – Liquid Fusion ® Studios NYNY
www.liquidfusion.com

Audiobus 3.0 – Audio Kit Synth One with Studeomux

Last edited by Liquid Fusion; 07-17-2022 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:28 PM   #7
Kokopelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscofisy View Post
In the end I think you're much better off just buying a few good VSTi synths for use in Reaper. There must be hundreds of decent synths by now.
You won't have all the trouble wiring it up and hoping the apps play nice; or the latency.
Maybe the best thing about the ipad is the portability and spontaneity - but it's not very portable or spontaneous if you have to go through a rigmarole of wires and apps to connect it to a pc every time.
_
I agree! I was reeled in by many neat little videos of the iPad being used as a MIDI Controller but the word rigmarole says it all. I haven't heard or seen that word for years. Perfect - imho Also: After I started messing with the iPad I made the mistake of taking it on as a challenge and that was where I went a bit too deep. I wish anyone wanting to "play" with the iPad much success but I found in the end it was a waste of time and took away from real music making attempts. I said attempt because I just experiment with music. Good Luck to anyone who works through all the issues making all the little apps play well together. Please do keep the thread alive for anyone who may have more tips to offer. Thanks!
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:25 AM   #8
Liquid Fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
I agree! I was reeled in by many neat little videos of the iPad being used as a MIDI Controller but the word rigmarole says it all. I haven't heard or seen that word for years. Perfect - imho Also: After I started messing with the iPad I made the mistake of taking it on as a challenge and that was where I went a bit too deep. I wish anyone wanting to "play" with the iPad much success but I found in the end it was a waste of time and took away from real music making attempts. I said attempt because I just experiment with music. Good Luck to anyone who works through all the issues making all the little apps play well together. Please do keep the thread alive for anyone who may have more tips to offer. Thanks!
The sounds of Audio Kit Synth One are amazing. Try it - at least on your iPad! Possibly, I didn't understand your description of Audiobus source / destination. Now I know: Audiobus 3.0 (Audio) 1st row, Input = Audio Kit Synth One to Output = Studeomux. Next row, Input = Studeomux and output = Speaker. Studeomux: Audiobus 3.0 and Synth One are both on Channel 8. In Reaper, the Dropdown Box of Studiomux FX generator = last channel = Ch 8 = Synth One. Recording this synth in Reaper for all its sounds. Willing to adjust wav files for time latency. I think Reaper actually can adjust latency if it's setup internally in Reaper.

Last edited by Liquid Fusion; 04-27-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:48 PM   #9
LugNut

Hi,
The way I did it was with an Iconnectivity audio 4 +. Works great. They make a 2 input version also.

I also use the iPad and the interface live connected to a multi pad. I run the iPad air 1 at 128 and the latencey is workable.

Audiokits stuff is good.
You tried their d50 tribute synth? I think its called d1.

BTW I despise apple but my friend gave me a broken iPad and I sunk $80 bucks in it. So it doesn't count:-)
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:48 PM   #10
Liquid Fusion

Additional points - Update Win 10

- Make sure Apple Mobile Device Services is running (Start/Stop/Start again)
- Synced ipad to iTunes with WIFI
- Used Asio / Interface drivers - hardly any latency!!
- Yamaha UD BT01 Wireless Bluetooth Midi Adapter - connecting Keys to Ipad (using Yamaha Sound Control app on ipad to connect midi)
- 12" 2nd Gen ipad Pro with lightning connector (3rd gen ipad pro uses USB C)

Works great!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Liquid Fusion; 06-06-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #11
LugNut

Hi,
Simply put...I'm using ipd/audio midi interface/ audio bus and a few synth apps like a hardware sound module. Good latency.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:31 PM   #12
mschnell

To me it feels like a really weird workaround to use external completely software based processing as a kind of "plugin". The provider of the appropriate stuff (be that running in an iOS device or in "dedicated" processor based hardware - like Kemper - ) should be able to create a "standard" VST plugin with the exactly same functionality.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:44 AM   #13
_Stevie_

Thanks for bringing up this great synth. Just tried it and I am really impressed.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:53 AM   #14
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
To me it feels like a really weird workaround to use external completely software based processing as a kind of "plugin". The provider of the appropriate stuff (be that running in an iOS device or in "dedicated" processor based hardware - like Kemper - ) should be able to create a "standard" VST plugin with the exactly same functionality.

-Michael
With some synths it makes really sense to have them on an iPad, because of the haptic advantage.
It almost feels like a real analog synth and you can use multiple fingers to tweak the knobs.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:56 PM   #15
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
With some synths it makes really sense to have them on an iPad, because of the haptic advantage.
It almost feels like a real analog synth and you can use multiple fingers to tweak the knobs.
"Haptic" and touchscreen seems like another completely weird contradiction.

OTOH, in fact there no necessity at all that the control interface and the audio software need to be in the same housing. A decent control interface remote-controlling a VST plugin seems like much moire viable (unless you are out in the wild with only the iPad and no PC or power socket around).

-Michael
Old 07-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #16
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
"Haptic" and touchscreen seems like another completely weird contradiction.
There‘s a suggestion that always works: if you don’t like it, don’t use it. Simple as that.
I can’t see how your overly critical comments are of any help here.
If there are people who want to use an iPad as synth, let them. No harm there.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:33 PM   #17
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
If there are people who want to use an iPad as synth, let them.
Of course I do. These critical comments are clearly marked as a personal POV by "IMHO", "seems like" and similar phrases, and just might help future readers by encouraging them to consider or try alternative solutions as well.

-Michael
Old 07-15-2019, 09:20 PM   #18
Liquid Fusion

Hi. Just want to say, if you have a mac this is very different - simply pug the ipad into the mac and you can play the synth on the ipad right into recording software on the mac. Reason I use wireless keys, is that the ipad pro (2017) 12.9" lightning port is already taken.

Realize, that latency will happen. No Big deal. Go down the song, track by track that you record from Audio Synth on the ipad into the PC and line up by hand the synth to the drums. It's worth the effort.

Album of tracks made using Audio Kit Synth One (Oberhausen/Plugin Alliance)
https://youtu.be/mWi0aCEEr9w
Old 01-20-2021, 03:14 AM   #19
Ralis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Fusion View Post
Hi. Just want to say, if you have a mac this is very different - simply pug the ipad into the mac and you can play the synth on the ipad right into recording software on the mac. Reason I use wireless keys, is that the ipad pro (2017) 12.9" lightning port is already taken.

Realize, that latency will happen. No Big deal. Go down the song, track by track that you record from Audio Synth on the ipad into the PC and line up by hand the synth to the drums. It's worth the effort.

Album of tracks made using Audio Kit Synth One (Oberhausen/Plugin Alliance)
https://youtu.be/mWi0aCEEr9w
Well... that only works if you are using El Capitan or later OS.

You see I did not want to pay the monthly extortion to Pro Tools after buying it 3 times at 750 a pop so I stopped at PT11 I am switching over to Reaper now, I bought it but I still have unfinished projects in PT11
Ralis is offline   Reply With Quote