Old 10-08-2019, 12:20 PM   #1
Diabelli
Human being with feelings

Default Classical Mastering

Hello,

all I do is classical solo recordings, and I've switched from ProTools to Reaper recently. Why I did so might be a question for some other occasion, but - being new to the Reaper world - I would appreciate some input from more experienced users.

1. I see that "Render" does what I used to do by "Bounce to disk" in PT.

a) When downsampling via Render, what library is used?

b) Is there some dither when converting from 24 to 16 bit?

2. Is it preferable to put the fades (in/out) on the master track, or on the tracks with recording (as I have only two).

3. Same question about automation - would it in case with two tracks only work better on the master track, or on the two tracks with the recording (as these send directly to the master AND the chain of two tracks with effects)?

For 2. and 3., I would normally prefer grouping tracks with audio, and do the automation (envelopes) there, but - from what I read on the forum - I have an impression that in Reaper many users seem to favor working on the master track.

Thx!!!
Diabelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:33 PM   #2
bbmuddywolf

I can’t help with your first question regarding down sampling but the other two I can give my opinions. I usually do very little with processing the master track—some eq, compression and possibly some widening effects. I prefer to group individual tracks into sub mixes and do all the processing on either the individual track or the group—including fades and envelopes.
bbmuddywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:50 PM   #3
Fergler

You can put the automation on the master track if you want it applied to both. If you change your mind down the road, simply copy paste the automation lane to the two tracks and remove it from master.
Fergler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:30 AM   #4
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabelli View Post
Hello,

all I do is classical solo recordings, and I've switched from ProTools to Reaper recently. Why I did so might be a question for some other occasion, but - being new to the Reaper world - I would appreciate some input from more experienced users.

1. I see that "Render" does what I used to do by "Bounce to disk" in PT.

a) When downsampling via Render, what library is used?

b) Is there some dither when converting from 24 to 16 bit?

2. Is it preferable to put the fades (in/out) on the master track, or on the tracks with recording (as I have only two).

3. Same question about automation - would it in case with two tracks only work better on the master track, or on the two tracks with the recording (as these send directly to the master AND the chain of two tracks with effects)?

For 2. and 3., I would normally prefer grouping tracks with audio, and do the automation (envelopes) there, but - from what I read on the forum - I have an impression that in Reaper many users seem to favor working on the master track.

Thx!!!
#1 Yes

#1a Not sure off the top of my head, sorry. I know SOX is considered the most transparent. I've never heard an artifact from Reaper's SRC though. I'm familiar with the older crude algorithms that were pretty glaring though. Fair question based on that. (Stock Protools was one of those crude examples too.)

#1b Dither options are available yes. Probably a few different ones. I'll assume you know to only add noise like this when making a 16 bit reduction for that CD edition.

#2 Semantics here probably...
It's true that Reaper has universal tracks that can be routed without restriction. That means you can use any track as a source, aux bus (sub group), or master hardware output. (Or all 3 at the same time.)

However... the Reaper "Master bus" is a dedicated hardware output bus that isn't a normal track. It's sort of vestigial from an early very simple Reaper that had stereo tracks and an output bus. You can now route as you please with universal tracks but that "Master bus" sticks around as a master hardware output bus only. You can't put audio items into the master track or do anything else like send from it.

#3 See #2

What novices "favor" doing with the master bus is loading it up with all their limiter/booster, saturation/distortion plugins because they haven't figured out how to mix from working the individual source tracks yet.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #5
Diabelli

Default Thx everybody for the input!!!

Seems like I figured out Reaper pretty good thus far. However, I will go safe route and downsample via SOX library, if nobody is sure what Reaper is using to downsample.
Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
#1 Yes

#1a Not sure off the top of my head, sorry. I know SOX is considered the most transparent. I've never heard an artifact from Reaper's SRC though. I'm familiar with the older crude algorithms that were pretty glaring though. Fair question based on that. (Stock Protools was one of those crude examples too.)

#1b Dither options are available yes. Probably a few different ones. I'll assume you know to only add noise like this when making a 16 bit reduction for that CD edition.

#2 Semantics here probably...
It's true that Reaper has universal tracks that can be routed without restriction. That means you can use any track as a source, aux bus (sub group), or master hardware output. (Or all 3 at the same time.)

However... the Reaper "Master bus" is a dedicated hardware output bus that isn't a normal track. It's sort of vestigial from an early very simple Reaper that had stereo tracks and an output bus. You can now route as you please with universal tracks but that "Master bus" sticks around as a master hardware output bus only. You can't put audio items into the master track or do anything else like send from it.

#3 See #2

What novices "favor" doing with the master bus is loading it up with all their limiter/booster, saturation/distortion plugins because they haven't figured out how to mix from working the individual source tracks yet.
Diabelli is offline   Reply With Quote