Old 10-06-2019, 03:35 AM   #1
DaveKeehl
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER CONTEST - OCTOBER 2019 (FEEDBACK)

REAPER CONTEST - OCTOBER 2019
(ALL PLUGINS ALLOWED!)

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

MIXING: 5-21 October
VOTING: 22-29 October
RESULTS: 31 October

OCTOBER 2019 PROJECTS
REAPER CONTEST ANALYTICS

This month the song is called Outa Control by the band Fytakyte, chosen by user UEMA that won in September. We already mixed a song from the same band a few months ago, hence some people are already familiar to their sound.

As always you can download the multitrack from the website or clicking on this link.

Happy mixing!
Dave

PRIZES

At the end of the year, there are going to be small prizes:

1st prize:
  • All VIP scripts (Track Inspector, Heda Mixer, etc) by Heda
  • Premium Themes Bundle by Blankfiles

2nd prize:
  • Premium Themes Bundle by Blankfiles

... so try to get as many points as you can from now on if you're interested in getting something for free

IMPORTANT
DO YOU WANT TO SUPPORT THIS CONTEST?

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 12-01-2019 at 05:23 AM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:55 AM   #2
PVinKC

Default Question(s)?

So if it's "gloves off" for effects, how are you going to render the final upload, or are you simply going to use our mastered flac?

Also, how can we send you the effects?

Do you want us to include a list of effects used in our notes? Or is that necessary?
Old 10-06-2019, 05:56 AM   #3
DaveKeehl

This month you're only required to submit your mix, same format as usual.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:42 AM   #4
PVinKC

That makes it easy! I'm looking forward to this one.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:06 PM   #5
Not_Here

Am I here?
Old 10-07-2019, 01:16 AM   #6
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here View Post
Am I here?
You’re not here
Old 10-12-2019, 07:46 AM   #7
PVinKC

New tracks for October are great fun to mix. Especially with the "gloves off" on plugins!

For anyone who hasn't already sussed it out, Fytakyte has this song posted on SoundCloud. Might want to give it a listen. In my opinion it won't be too difficult to get a better mix than what's posted there. It's VERY loud! Sounds distorted and over compressed...some tracks don't really make much of a showing in the mix...

Anyway the point of this post is not to bash that mix. It was to give encouragement to everyone here. No kidding guys, when you compare your mixes to theirs you may want to see about getting your CV (Resume) in order!

I didn't snag the link but if you Google "Outa Control Fytakyte" it comes up. There are other hits as well. I just chose to go to SoundCloud. So far as I can tell what I found was not a independent mix but the one they uploaded to their page. Or so it seemed anyway. Give it a listen and see what you all think.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:27 PM   #8
Not_Here

Rear of the Bus, best seat always.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:15 AM   #9
DaveKeehl

How is it going guys? Making progress?
Old 10-15-2019, 03:37 AM   #10
jelloman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
How is it going guys? Making progress?
Yup...mine will be finished tonight or tomorrow night...
jelloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:00 AM   #11
PVinKC

I'm basically done with mine Just letting my ears rest a day or so then I'll give it another listen to see if I hear anything that sticks out or not.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:52 PM   #12
aftercutrecords

Default Done!

Whew, almost missed ANOTHER month. Don't wanna lose those sweet sweet points haha. This was a very challenging mix in my humble opinion. Glad I got to work at it and submit it!
Looking forward to hearing people's submissions
aftercutrecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:09 PM   #13
Not_Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftercutrecords View Post
Whew, almost missed ANOTHER month. Don't wanna lose those sweet sweet points haha. This was a very challenging mix in my humble opinion. Glad I got to work at it and submit it!
Looking forward to hearing people's submissions

::nod::
Old 10-20-2019, 03:51 AM   #14
PVinKC

Hey Not_Here...how do you like the Kali's? I have a bad Alesis M1 and am thinking of upgrading. The LP6 seems like a decent option. I was hoping to go up to those or the LP8's. Any thoughts (anyone)?
Old 10-20-2019, 01:47 PM   #15
DaveKeehl

I've heard only good things from people that own Kali monitors, so I guess you can't go wrong

Also, less than 2 days left to mix and submit
Old 10-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #16
Not_Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVinKC View Post
Hey Not_Here...how do you like the Kali's? I have a bad Alesis M1 and am thinking of upgrading. The LP6 seems like a decent option. I was hoping to go up to those or the LP8's. Any thoughts (anyone)?
I love these Kali LP6! The 8's seemed a little to big for my space. If I had a room where I was able to get like 24"-36" away from back wall and have them at 67" apart, bam! I would have them for sure. I am scaled down a bit from that amount of space. sittin at 47" tweeter to tweeter. ( listening position at (47 x .5662) is the triangle sweet spot.
They have a great positioning EQ on the back and via a dip switch you can set for whatever speaker positioning you are working with also, can turn off the RCA inputs, and there is separate volume on each, and LF & HF trim.

Sound is so much more than they look. Very clear in the mids and not harsh at all with the tweets. x-over @ 1500hz and bottom is solid. nice and flat to about 45-ish? and rolls of to 38 hz or so...Loud or quiet the positioning is really clear in stereo field.
No chuffing or noise from the ports at all.... I have cranked them till they overload a bit, and they very politely tell you by making an ugly distortion, (by design) and the nice little blue light is angry red. but that was on 11 and then some.... never gonna hit it at mixing, even the louder end of the 85dB-90dB range, they were designed with lot's of headroom. Music choice makes a difference too, I was pushing some Old Die Antwoord.....

When I first got them I thought I would set them up and get right to work..... au contraire mon frère! I ended up just sitting and listening to them for days, I was ordering cd's from amazon (love same day delivery) just to listen.

So now I'm trying to mix on them for first time, I went a little crazy, and am trying to go back and calm the F down with some of my "volume choices"

But, none of my errors are speaker related that's for sure, if anything they encouraged me a little too much....

This will be my next Kali's, they also have a nice ass SUB for studio or stage coming out...

**Addendum** Submitted my go at the mix. Been a while. Fingers crossed....

Last edited by Not_Here; 10-20-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Not_Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:31 PM   #17
PVinKC

Yeah I'm a Warren Huart fan and subscriber. So I too am entered in the giveaway. Don't expect to win, but anything can happen. Somebody has to win and he's giving 3 pairs away I think!

The way he fawned all over them really makes me want them but it'll be a while before I can talk the wife into a $800+ purchase!
Old 10-21-2019, 08:07 PM   #18
Not_Here

Quote:
Yeah I'm a Warren Huart fan and subscriber. So I too am entered in the giveaway. Don't expect to win, but anything can happen. Somebody has to win and he's giving 3 pairs away I think!

The way he fawned all over them really makes me want them but it'll be a while before I can talk the wife into a $800+ purchase!
See that right there is a good plan. Start with the big ticket item and "compromise" by "settling" for the extremely budget friendly- LP6.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:14 PM   #19
DaveKeehl

Going through the submissions right now! Sorry for the delay. Very busy at the moment but the show must go on!
Old 10-22-2019, 05:21 PM   #20
DaveKeehl

You can now vote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:12 PM   #21
PVinKC

I voted...and I farted if anyone's interested! I'm old...it happens occasionally...although my wife may argue that it happens a lot!
Old 11-01-2019, 10:57 AM   #22
DaveKeehl

Sorry for the delay, results are coming in a couple of minutes
Old 11-01-2019, 11:07 AM   #23
DaveKeehl

Sorry for the delay, it's become really difficult to manage this contest lately... Anyway, results are in!

This month the contest was won by Eddiex! Congrats!!!

@Eddiex: Please choose a song from here and send me a DM when you're done.

Let's now share our feedbacks

Updated analytics (click it)

October 2019:

2019 - Top 10:

Old 11-01-2019, 12:18 PM   #24
SoundGuyDave

First things first, a "thank you" for Dave Keel for overseeing this whole thing is needed, and well earned!

There were some very nice mixes this month! Before I make the individual comments, here were my criteria, and key points:
1) HEAR EVERYTHING, all in balance, particularly the harmony and backing vocals against the melody.
2) Watch the hi-hat levels. They were a land-mine, just waiting to go off and ruin a mix.
3) Make the breakdown and “funk” sections different stylistically and musically, yet complementary to the verse/chorus sections.
4) The drum fill leading into the final chorus (unsupported) needs to breathe or move, or the whole transition falls flat.

Please don’t take any comments as attacks, they are intended strictly as constructive criticism! If any have issues with what I had to say, I would be happy to go to PM and chat about it, or even publicly. This type of situation is a GREAT opportunity for ALL of us to learn a thing or three; God knows I did!

Given the above:

#1: Bass guitar is a bit honk-y, mix is a bit mid-heavy overall, not a ton of bottom end (headphones?). Toms seem too forward in the mix. Hard-panned lead GT (~1:35) is distracting for some reason. Motion of the acoustics detracts from the vocal. Nice vocal tone, could use a bit more (longer?) verb. Too much jumps in and out of the mix.

#2: Nice drum tones, good GT tones. Re-amped? What did you use? Overall, the mix seems a bit “distant” particularly the lead GT breaks and the clean funk GT.

#3: I understand the choice, but I don’t care for the “gated” drum sound. Lead vox too dry. Interesting panning/width approach to the breakdown vox! Chorus backing vox too far down in the mix. Didn’t like the fade at the end in place of the unresolved full-stop.

#4: Hats too far forward, GTs too ambient, and kind of “pinched” sounding. Should automate or clip-gain the hats down 4dB on the open sections.

#5: Good drum tones. Too much bass distortion channel in the mix to fit the style of the song. Nice job using width to get the guitars out of the way of the vocals.

#6: (Mine) Overall a bit wet. Bass GT needs another couple dB for the funk section. Treat yer damn room!!

#7: Strange drum tones; didn’t fit the song style. Nice vox reverb. Backing vox a bit far back at times. Rhythm GTs too forward in the mix, lead GT a bit too dry.

#8: Too mid-range heavy, no real bottom end or top-end sizzle in the mix. Headphone mix? Acoustics too far back in the mix. Nice pan automation in the breakdown. Vocal could come up a bit in the funk section.

#9: Too much room in the drum sounds for my taste, or too much compression on the rooms and overs, or both. The cymbals stay on top too much/too long. I think I heard some mix distortion (c. :48) on the snare roll. Main buss clipping?

#10: Very mid-suppressed; scooped-sounding. Mixed on headphones? Some odd volume jumps here and there, need to smooth the automation. Recommend developing a monitor EQ setting!

#11: Overall, WAYYY too compressed/limited, and it sounds like it’s all on the mix bus? Youlean reads a perfect -14LUFS, but with a -6.2dB peak, which equates to a -8.8LUFS with a 1.0 peak…. WAYYY too loud, WAYYYY too harsh as a result. I liked the lead GT DDL, but with the limiting, it was too hard to judge the relative balance of everything else…

#12: Really nice GT mix, decent drum tones, but the hats are a bit too hot. The DDL on the lead vocal was distracting at points. Try side-chain ducking the delay output with about an 800mS hold/release total on the comp. The acoustics seemed a bit low; but nice mix on the funk section.

#13: Good drum mix and tones. Harmony vocals a bit low? The Rhoades was a bit hot when hard-panned, detracted from the vocals. Good funk section mix. Overall, could use a bit of high-end sizzle.

#14: Very wide mix overall; I thought the kick could be a little “heavier” overall. Not necessarily louder, but weightier? Nice chorus mix. Weird volume spike c. 1:45. Backing and harmony vox a bit low. Good breakdown and funk section mixes. Delay trick needs a bit of refinement, it got a little messy.

#15: Somehow, the drums didn’t sound “homogenized,” as if they were not parts of the same instrument. Snare too forward (too much attack?), hats/overs too distant sounding. Nice pan on the “siren” guitar. Decent funk mix. Overall, vox too dry, drums too wet.

#16: Snare too far forward. Headphone mix? Are you a drummer? Serious question; the mix sounds like a stage mix heard from behind the kit to me. Backing vox too low in the mix, lead vox a bit thick in the mids, and too dry. Good Hammond sound. Too much verb on the toms. Nice fade at the end!!

To me, it was very interesting to see all the different approaches to how the vocal parts “work” within the context of the song, and how many different approaches there were to the breakdown and funk sections!
SoundGuyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:01 PM   #25
PVinKC

October Reaper Contest Submissions notes –
Track 1 –
Good bass tone/sound and mix, good guitar sound and balance. Vocals sound nice but could use some space. Backing vocals could use some space as well and balance sounds off. The verb sounds too short on the tail to me. Kick and drums sound good, cymbals sound hi-passed but can be heard fine. Toms sound unusually wide, not sure if it’s excessive or not but I like it! The siren sounding guitar could barely be heard during the break.

Track 2 –
Everything sounds distant and buried from the start. Guitar sound is good, just too much verb, sounds like everything is in a cave. Vocals have no edge or cut to them. There’s a weird phasing issue on the vocals and cymbals…maybe just the highs. Cymbals are all top end and no body. Siren sounding guitar comes through and actually benefits from the verb.

Track 3 –
Good balance and overall sound. Vocals cut nicely but lack space (verb). Backing vocals seem gone…I can’t hear any of them. Guitars sound decent but balance is off a bit. Backing vocals DO show up in the break but get mostly lost when the music comes back in. What you can hear of them is distant and much lower in volume. Drums are kind of generic sounding…could benefit from a little space as well.

Track 4 – ME obviously my#1
Drums sound huge. Nice delay on the guitars in the intro/fills. Guitars overall sound nice and wide. Vocals cut nicely and have decent space. Nice vocal delay. Vocal balance is spot-on. Cymbals sound nice…maybe a bit piercing in a few spots could use a bit of HP at 8-10K maybe, or some well-placed de-essing? Siren sounding guitar is nice.

Track 5 –
Drums and bass sound nice. Overall mix is good. Vocals cut nice and have nice space. In fact, everything has a nice space. Background vocals could be bigger sounding (some more creative verb use perhaps). Vocal balance is a bit off…the backups don’t show up as well as they could. Kick is slamming and has a nice (not overbearing) click but plenty of low-end. Guitar balance and tone is great.

Track 6 – My #2
Drums sound good. Really great snare sound and space on the drums and vocals. Guitars are great, full and wide and have a great tone. Vocals cut nice and have great space. Backing vocals are great as well. LOVE the delay on the guitar lead in the break! The siren sounding guitar made a STELLAR appearance…the best I’ve heard, well done!

Track 7 –
There’s a strange click/pop in conjunction with the kick drum with an odd distortion. Drums in general sound distorted. The whole mix feels over-compressed. Vocals have nice space but don’t cut or have any edge to them. The backing vocals need a lot more space and probably a bump in volume. I also notice the click/pop/distortion in conjunction with the snare at times. Nice use of verb on the siren sounding guitar in the break. Actually, I think maybe the whole mix may sound a bit distorted? Almost sounds like overuse (or misuse) of samples. Although I know it can’t be that because we can’t use them. It’s strange. Sorry I can’t be more specific. Maybe someone else will be able to help better with the issue?

Track 8 –
Drums sound flat and over-compressed. Vocals also sound flat and over-compressed but they lack space and cut. Guitars sound good but the fills could be boosted and brought forward in the mix quite a bit. The Rhodes, Hammond and Clavinet barely show up in the mix at all. The whole mix feels rushed and stale.

Track 9 –
Drums and bass sound nice…maybe a bit more bass guitar in the overall mix though. Guitars sound nice and have great space. Vocals cut nice and have decent space as well. The fill guitar in the second verse could use a bit of a bump in volume. Lead guitar in the break could also use a bit of a bump in volume. The siren sounding guitar is gone!? Also where’s the jangly (r&b style) guitar in the break? Cymbals seem a bit overbearing…is there a phasing issue or just too loud? Not sure.

Track 10 –
Drums sound flat and over-compressed and lack space. The whole mix sound over-compressed. Vocals don’t have any cut. There is a low end build up in the whole mix…maybe too much low on the kick drum…it is almost distorting, but maybe a bit much on the whole mix. I didn’t do any spectrum analyzing however so I could be wrong. It just sounds like the whole mix lacks high-end and can’t breathe (dynamic range is gone).

Track 11 –
Good guitar sound. Delay on the lead guitar on the intro and solo is a bit much. Backing vocals are almost non-existent. Drums sound nice and seem to have decent space. The bass is a bit low and has no attack/edge (mids and highs). Repeat on the vocals following the break is very well placed. You did it better than I did anyway.

Track 12 – My #3
Mix sounds small and over-compressed, and the bass is very far sounding…needs more attack and presence and probably a bump. Vocals cut nicely and have good space around them. Guitars sound good. Loving the drum sound, cymbals are a bit dark but mixed nicely otherwise. Good mix on the backing vocals. This mix grew on me as I listened to it. The intro definitely sounded small but the song seemed to progress and change along the way and at the end it was one of my favorite mixes. So I guess I’d say it started off slow and came on strong toward the end…if that makes sense. I do think that the bass needed to come up several dB overall. But the kick was right in my face, right where I like it!

Track 13 –
Snare sounds nice…the kick sounds a bit round for my liking but oddly still has a ‘click or snap’? Vocals cut nicely but lack a bit of space (verb and delay). Backing vocals are mixed nicely. Guitars sound nice but again lack a bit of space. Bass guitar similarly to the kick sounds a bit ‘round’ to me.

Track 14 –
Drums sound nice with decent space around them. Guitars sound good as well and are mixed nicely. Vocals cut nicely and have a good space with them but could use a bit of delay. Siren sounding guitar was mixed perfectly, well done! Delay on the vocal after the break is a bit much at the end, probably just needed a bit of automation to clean it up after the initial repeat.

Track 15 –
Drums sound great, snare and kick are mixed perfectly with a nice space around them. Guitars sound great with excellent space and the rhythm guitar is nice and wide. Vocals cut nicely but could use a bit of space and a little delay. Backup vocals are a bit low and could use some space as well. Siren sounding guitar was mixed nicely. There’s an odd low tom ring at the end that could’ve been shortened a bit.

Track 16 –
Drums sound nice. Toms are a bit low for my liking and could use a bit more attack. But the verb on the toms is very nice sounding. Vocals cut fine but could use a bit more space and a little delay. The keys are a bit low, could use a boost of at least 3dB. The siren sounding guitar in the break and the jangly guitar are far too low. If I didn’t know they were there I wouldn’t be able to pick them out easily.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:47 AM   #26
Tiny Tortoise

1. Tight and punchy but quite direct and midrangey presentation. Drums could have more top end sparkle and low-end extension. Prechorus bass (I think) is popping. Lead Vox doesn’t feel distinct from the backing vox, so it fades into it and leaves a hole at the front.

2. Overall warm+present balance but with a top end roll-off; quite strong on subs. Vocals feel really warm/honeyed; a midrange cut might help balance them. There seems to be a strong left-channel bias for the lead vox too. Build-up section works pretty nicely.

3. Feels a bit like a W-shaped balance with a very strong low end on the bass that gives it a hardness. Tambourine starts to feel harsh after a while. Drum ambience a bit too much—might be too heavy on the drum compression? Build-up section could benefit from a quieter vocal that ramps up gradually.

4. Aggressive and warm with a big centre scoop. The balance seems to work okay, but there’s too much crunch to it. That left-biased kick sticks out. I can’t say I’m a big fan of panned sub-bass frequencies. 2:30 something weird happens to drums for 10 seconds. I think you muted your hats there?

5. This one is mine. Seems like I ended up with a brighter-than-neutral balance, certainly so compared to everyone’s mixes here. My aim was to get a tightness and punch without feeling sterile, and I think I managed to do that, so fairly pleased.

6. Has a satisfying and neutral-ish balanced with the slightest grin. I feel it has a bit too much reverb that clouds the mix more than necessary for good sense of depth and space. Breakdown/build-up bit could have been exaggerated for more impact at the peak of the swell. Bass is thunderous throughout that section. Was my #3

7. Warm-tilted scoop. A little more air up top would help to open it up. There’s a thickness and fullness that suggests too much saturation to me. Kick is distorting quite noticeably with a hard edge to it. Bass sounds fat but mellow and could do with a lift in the higher mids for some clarity.

8. Dark sounding balance with a sense of cloudiness to it. Just a high-shelf boost might work nicely. The snare has this puffy phasey sound on it (see 0:17). Drum room ambience is fairly loud and blurs things too much. Vox seems relatively dry and a bit muffled sounding.

9. Bit of a scooped balance with an aggressive and punchy attitude. Kick is really thumpy but I think the direction justifies it. It has a really lively sound to it. I really like the delay in the chorus, but I think it loses its novelty with every chorus. Was my #1

10. This one has a lot of <100Hz low end and fairly tame everything else. Doesn’t seem to be much content above 10kHz, which gives it a dullness (that can be great on certain mix elements but usually you want the top end on lead vox and drums at least). The pitch-shifted vocals are too strong and are best mixed in conservatively for a nice subtle stereo spread.

11. Balance is a bit like a small speaker, peaking at 4kHz with a roll-off above. Dynamics have about 7dB of crest factor, which leaves a lot of unused headroom that would have helped with maintaining clarity. I’m assuming a monitoring and/or a gain-staging issue.

12. Beefy and forward balance but with a bit of a muffled feeling at the same time. The mid-treble feels a bit fatiguing after a while—a 2kHz cut and an air boost above 6kHz would open it up and bring some nice definition. Beyond that, it feels like a pretty cohesive mix.

13. Sounds warmish-neutral. Pretty nicely balanced mix overall with a girth and silkiness. Kick’s LF is a bit overpowering though. Bass maybe also a bit strong, but it’s hard to tell against that kick. Was my #2

14. Sounds big and feels pretty good but there’s a bit of an unfocused feeling about it. The kick is a bit too reverberant in the denser parts. The snare feels kind of smeary and diffuse instead of quick and snappy. Build-up starts loud and could do with more dynamic development.

15. Warm tilted balance on this one. The snare feels a bit buried—try bumping up the volume and add some early reflections to bring it out more. The fill leading into the final chorus is too strong, particularly the kick on the 1 at the end. Bass feels quite mid-bass focused and would benefit from some extra low-treble to give it more slickness.

16. Drums sound big and lively, but are too loud and the bass is overwhelmed; rhythm guitars could do with a boost too. Oddly, the bass is especially small sounding in the breakdown/build-up. Apart from that, maybe could do with a bit more ambience to tie it all together as it’s quite dry sounding.
Tiny Tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:51 AM   #27
PVinKC

Umm...no center scoop and the kick is not panned at all. It's run through Shep's Omni Channel set to mono and panned direct center.

I believe over compression is responsible for the drum issue you pointed out. But I didn't mute the hats at all. Probably something to do with a setting on Shep's in the gate/exp section. I'm not gating but the exp is in use and I noticed if set incorrectly mutes the track like a gate oddly.

As for the center scoop, I use span and it was quite flattish on the overall mix. I don't scoop guitars ever except for some scream metal. I'm a guitar player and I hate hate hate guitarists who take the very frequencies that carry the bell tones and bulk of the guitar tone and body away.

As a live sound engineer I've said this many times, "If it sounds like crap going IN, there's nothing (or very little) that I can do to fix it!

I did however use CLA Guitars to add crunch and sustain to what sounded to me to be too clean. Maybe that was a bit much?

Anyway thanks for the review regardless.

Last edited by PVinKC; 11-03-2019 at 09:58 AM.
PVinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:50 AM   #28
Tiny Tortoise

If you haven't panned your kick tracks, there is still a leftward directionality to your kick's presentation that'd be worth investigating, since it wasn't intentional; same with the hats: whether or not you muted them first-hand, it still sounds like they've been muted, and would be well worth finding the cause.

I think what gives me the impression of a scooped balance in your mix is a stronger emphasis on the bass and drums (including the cymbals which provide most of the high frequency content for the song), and a small build-up of energy around ~300Hz. But like I said, I thought the balance seemed to work okay.

Anyway, every time I think a mix is done and I render it out, it always pays to take a final* listen to the entire file, just in case I notice anything out of place. I'd recommend you (everyone, really) do that if there's time to do so. It makes for pretty effective quality assurance and only takes a small time investment relative to the rest of the mixing work.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:46 PM   #29
DaveKeehl

New threads up in a couple of hours.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:00 PM   #30
PVinKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Tortoise View Post
Anyway, every time I think a mix is done and I render it out, it always pays to take a final* listen to the entire file, just in case I notice anything out of place. I'd recommend you (everyone, really) do that if there's time to do so. It makes for pretty effective quality assurance and only takes a small time investment relative to the rest of the mixing work.

Here's a quote from me earlier this month that MAY make some of that comment seem un-necessary...

Quote:
I'm basically done with mine Just letting my ears rest a day or so then I'll give it another listen to see if I hear anything that sticks out or not.
That was posted on October 15th. I literally always do what you stated. Also I addressed the hat issue stating that I believe it's something to do with the gate/exp settings in Sheps. But thanks all the same. In short...I listened and didn't hear what your speaking of. However my monitoring situation is FAR from optimal. I mix either on my cans (ATM50's) or with my Creative Labs Surround Sound (gaming) system with tiny speakers. Then I use my sole working Alesis M1 Active monitor to listen in Mono mode to check the mix. Afterward I bounce to MP3 and email it to myself and go listen on my phone in the garage and in my car via Bluetooth.

I'm HOPING that I can manage to guilt my wife into purchasing a set of Kali LP6's for Christmas. But for now I have what I have, and just have to make it work. It's not all bad. But mixing ITB with Cans sucks in my opinion although it DOES allow me to hear things how they actually sound without much coloration. It exaggerates the stereo separation as you well know and lacks the body that the room does (or can) provide.

I'm mixing in my bedroom which is about 10' wide and 25-30' long...it's far from an ideal environment to say the least.

Last edited by PVinKC; 11-05-2019 at 06:11 PM.
PVinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:26 AM   #31
Tiny Tortoise

Quote:
In short...I listened and didn't hear what your speaking of. However my monitoring situation is FAR from optimal. I mix either on my cans (ATM50's) or with my Creative Labs Surround Sound (gaming) system with tiny speakers.
The hi-hat cutting out is something I'd imagine should be audible on any consumer audio system though. The panning of the hi-hat flips from being strong and panned right, to quiet with a centre-left presentation. So on both direct stereo output (where panning is more obvious), and mono output sources (where level is more obvious). I checked on headphones and a little mono Bluetooth speaker, and the drop out still comes through on both.

Anyway though, I don't think there's anything wrong with making oversights; they provide valuable information. Once identified and resolved, each one becomes another piece to add into our bank of accumulated knowledge-through-experience
Old 11-06-2019, 11:47 AM   #32
Dyl

Well, look at that... I scored points, 5 points.
Awesome, I'm getting better just like I hoped I would.
Thanks for the contest organisation DaveKeehl.

Thanks to SoundGuyDave, Tiny Tortoise, PVinKC for your feedback.
This stuff is clearly good for me.

Onto the next mix...
Dyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:38 PM   #33
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyl View Post
Well, look at that... I scored points, 5 points.
Awesome, I'm getting better just like I hoped I would.
Thanks for the contest organisation DaveKeehl.

Thanks to SoundGuyDave, Tiny Tortoise, PVinKC for your feedback.
This stuff is clearly good for me.

Onto the next mix...
Awesome
Old 11-23-2019, 04:51 PM   #34
fHumble fHingaz

Wow, the things you find poking around the www!

...Very interesting!... I just discovered that this song as well as "Bitter" were the subject of a couple of mix contests here... I'm actually the artist/engineer/producer/mixer for the FytaKyte project.

I Hope you all enjoyed mixing the tracks and found the experience educational!

I thought I would take the liberty of mentioning that, in addition to "Bitter" and "Outa Control" another one of the tracks from the "Meandersaur" called "Life Gets in the Way" is free to download and mix at the Cambridge-MT website here:http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.h...te_OutaControl

Also, for those who are keen to gain experience mixing/mastering a full album, all 10 of the multi-tracks (and main stems for mastering practice or remixing) for the "Meandersaur" album are provided as a bonus with any purchase of from Bandcamp here:https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases

Last edited by fHumble fHingaz; 11-23-2019 at 05:39 PM.
fHumble fHingaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:12 PM   #35
Not_Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by fHumble fHingaz View Post
Wow, the things you find poking around the www!

...Very interesting!... I just discovered that this song as well as "Bitter" were the subject of a couple of mix contests here... I'm actually the artist/engineer/producer/mixer for the FytaKyte project.

I Hope you all enjoyed mixing the tracks and found the experience educational!

I thought I would take the liberty of mentioning that, in addition to "Bitter" and "Outa Control" another one of the tracks from the "Meandersaur" called "Life Gets in the Way" is free to download and mix at the Cambridge-MT website here:http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.h...te_OutaControl

Also, for those who are keen to gain experience mixing/mastering a full album, all 10 of the multi-tracks (and main stems for mastering practice or remixing) for the "Meandersaur" album are provided as a bonus with any purchase of from Bandcamp here:https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Hey that's cool of you to notice. I really like when Artists/engineers etc.. let others use the tracks for learning and fun.

I actually was liking the tracks to Outa Control. I thought they were some of the better, more clean tracks I've had to work with lately. The Vox tracks were really fun to experiment with. Great chorus for sure. Loved the guitar sounds too. That little funk breakdown really made for a good time mixing too - choosing how to go into as well as build back up out of it. Oh hell, The whole song was great.

Went ahead and picked up the Album, Looking forward to the multitracks! Always a pleasure to support the Artists.

just grabbed the .wav version of album,
workin on the .pdf links.

Well done, and will be glad to link the band on anything I post. And as always, credit is given to the Artists.

**** the bandwidth at the server is crap, 14 - 20 hours per d/l.... well I can let them go all night for the next week or two! HAHAHAAA maybe I'll try at another time. Can't get above 256K bandwidth from the d/l links.... most of the time its more like 50k or 112k speed... sad....

Last edited by Not_Here; 11-23-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:09 PM   #36
fHumble fHingaz

Quote:
Hey that's cool of you to notice. I really like when Artists/engineers etc.. let others use the tracks for learning and fun.

I actually was liking the tracks to Outa Control. I thought they were some of the better, more clean tracks I've had to work with lately. The Vox tracks were really fun to experiment with. Great chorus for sure. Loved the guitar sounds too. That little funk breakdown really made for a good time mixing too - choosing how to go into as well as build back up out of it. Oh hell, The whole song was great.

Went ahead and picked up the Album, Looking forward to the multitracks! Always a pleasure to support the Artists.

just grabbed the .wav version of album,
workin on the .pdf links.

Well done, and will be glad to link the band on anything I post. And as always, credit is given to the Artists.

**** the bandwidth at the server is crap, 14 - 20 hours per d/l.... well I can let them go all night for the next week or two! HAHAHAAA maybe I'll try at another time. Can't get above 256K bandwidth from the d/l links.... most of the time its more like 50k or 112k speed... sad....
Hi Not Here - Wow, thank you - much appreciated!

Sorry to hear about the issues with downloads. The files are hosted on the same server as all the Cambridge M-T Multi-track Library stuff, so it should be at least as fast as those downloads. That said, they are all fairly large projects...

I just went to try to download one of the multitrack projects myself, and I'm getting a download time of about 5 minutes for "Damage" (albeit one of the smaller multis). However, I am using a program called Internet Download Manager, which I find extremely handy when downloading big files.

Anyhow..Let me know how it goes, and thank you once again for your support!
fHumble fHingaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:38 PM   #37
Not_Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by fHumble fHingaz View Post
Hi Not Here - Wow, thank you - much appreciated!

Sorry to hear about the issues with downloads. The files are hosted on the same server as all the Cambridge M-T Multi-track Library stuff, so it should be at least as fast as those downloads. That said, they are all fairly large projects...

I just went to try to download one of the multitrack projects myself, and I'm getting a download time of about 5 minutes for "Damage" (albeit one of the smaller multis). However, I am using a program called Internet Download Manager, which I find extremely handy when downloading big files.

Anyhow..Let me know how it goes, and thank you once again for your support!

yeah jusst gave it another go and i'm getting about 160Mb now... much better, less than a minute or so for a song.

like I said just give it a sec and the congestion will sometimes clear.
grabbing while the gettin' is good..

****got em all, took all of about 25mins... Good times!

Last edited by Not_Here; 11-23-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:04 AM   #38
fHumble fHingaz

Quote:
yeah jusst gave it another go and i'm getting about 160Mb now... much better, less than a minute or so for a song.

like I said just give it a sec and the congestion will sometimes clear.
grabbing while the gettin' is good..

****got em all, took all of about 25mins... Good times!
Awesome! Great to hear - have fun!