Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-02-2019, 05:30 AM   #1
crane clef
Human being with feelings

Default Questions about humanization

How it works? Is it for a single midi element, for the whole track, or globally for all instruments?
crane clef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:22 AM   #2
DVDdoug

I don't know the details but it wouldn't make sense to use it on a "single element" or on the whole track. But of course, you can humanize all of the tracks so the whole thing gets humanized.

And, I'm "slightly skeptical" about the whole concept... A human "sounds better" because of careful-intentional timing, dynamic, and pitch variations, not because the human is more random or less precise.

...A drunk drummer or a bad drummer doesn't sound better than a good-sober drummer, and it's easier for a (good) drummer to sound like a machine than it is for a machine to sound like a real drummer.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:04 AM   #3
SoundGuyDave

Except that even a "good" drummer will have tiny variances compared to a machine-like quantized pattern.

Best thing to do is experiment. "Humanizing" is applied to MIDI data, and only affects what is selected, so...

On drums, you can do things like "humanize" just the snare. Small percentages in timing, and slightly larger in dynamic variation can add life to a drum part. No drummer will ever hit a groove pattern EXACTLY the same way twice. There will be some variation, and humanizing is an attempt to introduce that variation.

Also experiment with the bias function as well. Lean the verse patterns one way, the choruses the other, again with small percentages, in an attempt to replicate a drummer "pushing" or "pulling" the beat. That you could do for the entire drum pattern.

The best way is just to experiment.
SoundGuyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:51 AM   #4
dangguidan

You can choose to act on all notes, or the selected notes.
This algorithm is probably just a random stagger, and can not be completely equivalent to the simulation of human feeling, the human playing feeling is very delicate.
dangguidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:39 PM   #5
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
I don't know the details but it wouldn't make sense to use it on a "single element" or on the whole track. But of course, you can humanize all of the tracks so the whole thing gets humanized.

And, I'm "slightly skeptical" about the whole concept... A human "sounds better" because of careful-intentional timing, dynamic, and pitch variations, not because the human is more random or less precise.

...A drunk drummer or a bad drummer doesn't sound better than a good-sober drummer, and it's easier for a (good) drummer to sound like a machine than it is for a machine to sound like a real drummer.
agreed but the missing part of this equation is the degree of drunkenness of the audience.... hahaha
Old 04-02-2020, 03:41 AM   #6
crane clef

Default Another question about humanization

Yes, I know that humanization is a poor substitute for a musician. But now I have a situation when humanization will be useful.
Sometimes I put the notes on several tracks so that they play the same melody. And without humanization it sounds more synthetic. Like I could manually modify every note, but it's too long for a longer song.
So I'm playing with this humanization. And I have a question about the timing bias. What modifies the timing bias. Why is the value from - to +. And how much will it be, say 20%
crane clef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:39 AM   #7
DVDdoug

Quote:
agreed but the missing part of this equation is the degree of drunkenness of the audience.... hahaha
"If I only had a dollar for every song I sung
Every time I had to play while people sat there drunk"

Lodi, by Creedence Clearwater Revival (1969)
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote