Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-22-2019, 07:14 PM   #1
duckdad
Human being with feelings

Default MPEG4 file convert to MP3 in REAPER

I have a music file which is in MPEG4 format. Apparently Reaper doesn't play well with this type of file, when I try to migrate it into a track it won't go and is labeled as "offline". I saw something about a REAPER program called "LAME" which is supposed to convert the file to a usable MP3 format. How do I use this program or is there some other way to do this?
duckdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:42 PM   #2
mschnell

Welcome to the Reaper forums !

MPEG4 usually is Video ?!??!?

Lame is not a "program", but a free library that comes with Reaper and is used by same for creating mp3.

Reaper can convert the media files of the tracks by choosing this in the "File" menu.

But as an alternative source file encoding for a project I wo9uld not use mp3 but some uncompressed or losslessly format like wav or flac.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:42 AM   #3
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckdad View Post
I have a music file which is in MPEG4 format. Apparently Reaper doesn't play well with this type of file, when I try to migrate it into a track it won't go and is labeled as "offline".
To me this sounds like more of a 'missing codec' issue when trying to import this file format.

One option is to install VLC in the same bit-version as your Reaper version, so Reaper has access to these audio/video codecs:
  • Reaper 32-bit: VLC 32-bit
  • Reaper 64-bit: VLC 64-bit
More info here:

Another option is to convert the MPEG4 file with an external converter application to a different format first before importing it into Reaper.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:20 AM   #4
toleolu

^^ What Solger said.

You can use the Convert/Save function in VLC Media Player to extract audio from video files, I've used it quite a bit in the past, works great.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:03 AM   #5
blackshage

You might as well using something easier to do this. E.g. Joyoshare Audio Recorder.
It can convert the format without much quality loss, but it requires pretty much time to do it. But you can leave it to convert the video while you are not there or sleeping.
blackshage is offline   Reply With Quote