Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 02-13-2020, 02:22 AM   #1
rekkandevar
Human being with feelings

Default What's the best way to plunder other free DAWs?

I have LMMS and Cakewalk installed on my PC along with Reaper, but I've never really tried to use them. I'm cleaning my computer today and deleting a bunch of stuff, but before I delete Cakewalk and LMMS, I want to know how many instruments/effects I can loot from them that I can then use with Reaper. I'm particularly interested in Cakewalk's instruments, since it also came with four VSTs which I use constantly. I've already uninstalled Avid Pro Tools First after copying all the .aax plugins and aaxhost.dll to a different folder, and I'd like some information on if/how I can make them work in Reaper. Honestly, if there are any particularly good plugins bundled with other free DAWs, I'd be up for installing and cleaning them out as well. I just like free stuff man, what can I say
rekkandevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:40 AM   #2
domzy

i would think they are proprietary to their respective hosts and not usable in Reaper (certainly aax).
There are billions of free plugins that do work in reaper though, what are you looking for?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:44 PM   #3
rekkandevar

Cakewalk has a separately installed drum replacer that uses .sfz and .wav files. I heard you can also use the .ins format somehow, which appears in other folders. I'm looking for plugins that are so versatile and basic that they come bundled with a DAW, since I am not very good at figuring out and using more complex virtual instruments like Dexed or Helm.
rekkandevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:20 PM   #4
domzy

No, reaper doesn't use the .ins format as far as i know (it's not something i've ever heard of though).
I'm curious as to what you mean by saying that you don't want complex instruments like dexed or helm (neither of which are complicated, especially if you just want to use presets), but you want stuff from cakewalk, which you've said you've never used.
My advice is to decide what sort of instruments and effects you want to use and then go from there. Installing / uninstalling stuff for the sake of it is pretty silly and a recipe for a messy drive which is more likely to give you problems in the long run, in my opinion.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote