Old 11-03-2023, 02:31 PM   #1
igesoid
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper and Komplete Kontrol 3

Hi folks,

I am experiencing GUI freezes with Reaper 6 & 7 and the new Komplete Kontrol 3 from Native Instruments - even with just one track and no additional FX. The version 2.9.6 (and earlier) is working stable.

Since I have found no thread here in this forum about this topic I am wondering if it's just me or if this is a general issue.

I have testet the versions 2.9.6 and 3.0.2 on Komplete Kontrol with a fresh installation of Reaper 7.02. the v2.x is working fine, the version 3.x gets unresponsive with loading indicator and never comes back.

I want to mention that the version 3 of Komplete Kontrol runs fine in Vienna Ensemble Pro 7, but also sends my Cubase 12 back to desktop.

So, any advice from anyone?
Does someone have the same issues or is there someone who has no issue with the KK v3?

Thanks in advance
Andreas

Systeminformation:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU
32 GB RAM
Windows 10 pro
Reaper 7.07 (fresh install, no scripts running, portable install)
All plugins and applications up to date
Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2
Steinberg UR44 Audio interface

Last edited by igesoid; 11-11-2023 at 03:07 PM. Reason: added new hardware
igesoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 02:44 PM   #2
RobertP

I assume you have a NI keyboard?

I read about kk3 not working with 1st generation S series keyboards, which is what I have, but have not seen anything saying what happens if you do update to v3. I had an email telling me to not update but the update still surfaces in Naccess.

It seems to be ok with 3rd generation S series and other NI, A and M, keyboards although some reports of odd stuff with 2nd generation versions.

!st generation S series are now unsupported and I guess 2nd gen will follow and then there will be fewer and fewer updates for software that works now on them and fewer and fewer new stuff that will work.

Of course, this may not be anything to do with what you describe but have a look on the NI forum to see if you are alone.
Old 11-03-2023, 03:03 PM   #3
igesoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
I assume you have a NI keyboard?

I read about kk3 not working with 1st generation S series keyboards, which is what I have, but have not seen anything saying what happens if you do update to v3. I had an email telling me to not update but the update still surfaces in Naccess.

It seems to be ok with 3rd generation S series and other NI, A and M, keyboards although some reports of odd stuff with 2nd generation versions.

!st generation S series are now unsupported and I guess 2nd gen will follow and then there will be fewer and fewer updates for software that works now on them and fewer and fewer new stuff that will work.

Of course, this may not be anything to do with what you describe but have a look on the NI forum to see if you are alone.
Yes, I use an Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2.
And I also tracked and reported my issue the NI-forum.

But I want to ask here too, because here everyone is using Reaper so it is way closer
Old 11-12-2023, 02:00 PM   #4
Jazzy2040

Default Komplete Kontrol 3 crashes

Hi,
Same problem here with KK 3 plugin, always crashes after a couple of edits in Kontakt 7.
The stand alone seems to be fine but very slow loading.

I ditched it and I'm back to 2.9.6, it seems to be stable.
We'll see what happens later.
Jazzy2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 01:44 PM   #5
igesoid

I have made some further test and can confirm, that the KK 3.x runs perfekt in Studio One 6.5 (got a trial).

I also found out, that it may also regard Kontakt, because if I load FM8 (a synth) in Komplet Kontrol 3 it's working fine also in Reaper. I have reported all this to Native Intruments in a support ticket.

Since now, nothing has changed, even if KK is on 3.0.2, Reaper on 7.05 and Kontakt on 7.7.0.

So, I really don't know who to "blame", because the KK 3 is a complete new version of KK. It has nearly nothing in common with the previous v2.9x and they have implemented stuff for NKS2, so it is possible that KK3 is the problem.

I can imagine, that the plugin runs better on these "major" DAWs, because they have the "deep integration" of KK and may have caught some upcomming bugs on their side.

Jester from Freelance Soundlabs (a KK poweruser and 3rd party NKS library developer) says, that there were some memory leaks in the alpha and beta version and that this and some other bugs may have made it into the release.

Maybe I should post a bug report here in the Reaper forum, so that the devs can have a look at it. Even if it is not a Reaper bug they can perhaps implement a workarround to.

The only thing that holds me back is, the little response to my post. It could mean, that it is working for everyone but me, or it can mean, that not so may people are using KK or it can mean that nobody cares about my post

Since Reaper ist not known for his midi capablities I think that not so many of us are using it and some of them don't care, and simple revert to 2.9 and wait till it's fixed.

So, anybody else except "Jazzy2040" and me?

Regards
Andreas
Old 11-23-2023, 08:30 AM   #6
Ongey

Hi there, I tried KK a few days ago in Reaper and it was ok, although did hang once (can't remember the circumstances). My main investigation is into possible support for NI's new S61 MK3 keyboard, which I'm considering purchasing - but only if it offers good (doesn't have to be perfect - but at least instrument / parameters) support for Reaper.
Ongey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 01:28 PM   #7
Ongey

Update: Yes, it's buggy! Initially I thought it was when you add some FX (after first adding the instrument), but I got it with just instruments. e.g. Load KK, stick in an NI instrument (in my case, Picked Nylon), muck about with some of the parameters, play some notes. Then bang, it's hung. Seems, that when you stress it a bit, it goes. Another example, adding a new track and sticking an instance of KK on that too.

How is it possible that there is no info on this? The only conclusion is that Reaper and NI together are not supported, and I'd like someone from either / both companies to be honest and say it, rather than allow people to buy hardware & software and let it go all south (speaking as a software developer who understands the frustration of customers).
Ongey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 10:33 AM   #8
beatbox32

Just adding my voice to the chorus. I hope someone figures out a fix soon. What a pain. I've opened a ticket with NI. We'll see what happens.

UPDATE: Support had me revert back to 2.9 and no more issues. I asked if they were working on a fix. Here's the response:

I'm sure we are working on it for a next release. Please check Native Access regularly.
Please do not hesitate to get back to us if you need any kind of assistance in the future.

---

Not adding to my confidence with that response, but hopefully it will be resolved.

Last edited by beatbox32; 11-29-2023 at 10:32 AM.
beatbox32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 06:14 AM   #9
igesoid

Hi,

I also got a response from NI:

----------
"I think we have a workaround. It actually came from another user who is experiencing this problem.
Komplete Kontrol – as per all my plugins are set to “run as” = “automatic” – default setting in Reaper. However, before loading Komplete Kontrol as a track FX, if you set "run as" either a dedicated process or separate process, Komplete Kontrol / Kontakt 7 instruments seem stable."
(also see the attached image)
---------

I have tried that and yes, it is not chrashing anymore, but it is for sure only a workaround.

Hope that helps!

Regards
Andreas
Attached Images
File Type: png image001.png (31.8 KB, 53 views)
Old 12-02-2023, 11:47 AM   #10
EarBud

Default Komplete Kontrol 3.0 Problems

Same issue here. Komplete Kontrol 2.8.1.0 was working fine until I updated it to 3.0.3.0. Now when I try to load KK into an FX window, the screen goes white and the blue progress circle appears until I shut down the DAW.

I'm using an S61 Version 2, but that's not even the issue as I'm trying to load using the mouse. As a matter of fact, I can't even load Komplete Kontrol in standalone mode! I can double-click the application and it runs a scan of all my instruments, and then just disappears.

The workaround described above (Running As Dedicated or Separate process) does not work for me. Kontrol will not open in either of those modes.

I really hate to roll back to an earlier version of KK if there's a way to stay current.

I'll keep checking this thread in hopes that someone comes up with any new info.
EarBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 09:07 AM   #11
igesoid

Hi,

just to finish this up - I have moved my composing to Studio One and will keep on mixing in Reaper. As a former Cubase user S1 is a easy to use and does not have the issues I have with Cubase and Reaper in the composing phase where I use a lot of VSTi with Komplete Control.

But S1 has some Drawbacks that are holding me back from mixing with S1 that Reaper does fine.

Regards
Andreas
Old 01-12-2024, 03:30 AM   #12
harom

Same problem here:
Last version of Reaper in combination with the last version of Komplete Kontrol 3:
After inserting one (or two) instances and doing some rudemental manipulations on the sound (for instance choosing an other sample for the Picked Nylon VST of NI), Reaper freezes. Downgrading to KK 2 makes everything work stable again (with lots of instances of KK running at the same time).

I reported it to NI. They say they can not replicate the problem and it was not reported before.

I'm relying a lot on Reaper in combination with KK and NI-vst's so I am looking out for a technical long-term-solution that is not a work around or a downgrade to an earlier version.

My computer is a recent windows-computer
Intel® Core i9-12900K
32 Gb ddr 5 of memory
Windows 11 Pro
harom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM   #13
24dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by igesoid View Post
Hi,

I also got a response from NI:

----------
"I think we have a workaround. It actually came from another user who is experiencing this problem.
Komplete Kontrol – as per all my plugins are set to “run as” = “automatic” – default setting in Reaper. However, before loading Komplete Kontrol as a track FX, if you set "run as" either a dedicated process or separate process, Komplete Kontrol / Kontakt 7 instruments seem stable."
(also see the attached image)
---------

I have tried that and yes, it is not chrashing anymore, but it is for sure only a workaround.

Hope that helps!

Regards
Andreas
YES!!

It is a HUGE help, thank you so much! I have been banging my head against this problem for weeks now since upgrading to a new S61Mk3 and moving to Komplete Kontrol 3.1. I was dreading the thought of having to move back to 2. 6 and changing controllers again.

Now it finally works!! I am very grateful 👍

Last edited by 24dB; 03-14-2024 at 11:09 PM.
24dB is offline   Reply With Quote