Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Default [IID#1242] Steps in volume faders

Link to FR. Please vote here.
Learn more about the Feature Request tracker here

Summary line:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingle
the volume faders in reaper can be as precise as 0.01db. very few people can hear this. also it's not very easy to set with the mouse the exactly value of the 3rd number, so it's not really useful.

this fr is for an option in preferences called "snap volume faders at"

options:
no snap
0.1db
0.5db
1.0db

this would make things easier to remember the values of all channels (i use to memorize them) and to set two or more faders to the same value.

thanks!

**EDIT**

this fr is about faders, but it would be also useful if applied to envelopes, item's volume, etc... everything that deals with dbs in reaper.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Default Discussion transfer from IID1242

Quote:
Originally Posted by hantymansy
that's a good idea.
btw - i like how the work with faders implemented in cubase. I kan simply move them with mouse, I kan use mouse wheel to do step changes and I kan also use shift+mouse for more precise steps. The idea with snapping + cubase koncept would be kool
Quote:
Originally Posted by labyrinth
It seems that this should work this way when you set (Preferences/Editing Behavior/...) Volume Fader Shape to 1, but it doesn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingle
i may be wrong, but i think that one thing has nothing to do with another.

the "Volume Fader Shape" option toggles between linear and logaritimic curves
Quote:
Well they kind of do, as they change the way the volume ramps (which is essentially the step).

Set at 2.3 (with 10 steps going down with the mouse scroll wheel)

Set at 1.0 (with 10 steps going down with the mouse scroll wheel)

You're basically asking for something like this, but in set increments of 1, 0.5, and ,0.1

Theoretical set at 1 Snap

and in 0.5 and 0.1 also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhertogh
a dB curve is always logaritmic, isnt it ? Shape = 1 is a pure curve, where every tick of the mousewheel (or decrementing a CC value by 1) gives you the same amount of attenuation in dB. The shape value allows you to get more granular around the 0dB point. I am not sure how shape is used in order to calculate the curve.

Yves
Quote:
Yes, a setting of 1 is relatively equal in curve, ~1.55 attenuation.

A setting of 2.3 changes logarithmically.

* What we need is a the pure or curve of 1 with values either 1, 0.5, or 0.1 as an option instead of the ~1.55 that you currently achieve with the curve set at 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhertogh
Actually the 1.55 dB is only because you've set your fader range to a certain value. I did some experimenting and if you set your fader range to 49.5 dB , every mouse wheel movement results in exactly one dB attenuation! This might be a workaround for the OP.

Saddly it is different with MIDI CCs, i guess the resolution is different compared to the mousewheel

Yves
Quote:
How did you get this? As you have to set two settings for the fader range X to Y. What did you use for each, and you also used 1 for the shape?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xackley
and for the volumes to display as a whole number (no decimal) when set to 1db increments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airon
Reaper has only one scale. How about three ? I've posted this shot before. The one on the right is the idea.

[img]http://img34.**************/img34/8555/faderscalingb.png[/img]

0.1dB steps are a good grid to stick to, no matter what height the fader area or envelope track is. Same mouse motion, same jump in value slots. These crooked inbetweener values just complicate matters.
Quote:
Sounds good to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanrabby
a fader RANGE of -50 to +16 that i use for live sound, AND then using a 1.0 fader ratio/log value, gives just about 1 db up or down with scroll wheel. try it. i have had that set up for years...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattrice
Hi,
You have my vote on this one! I put up a similar request and it got closed because they said it was a duplicate post. My example is posted here:
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2123 Let's try to get this rolling again and get it voted on. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiClick
this also seems somewhat related;
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=1994
Quote:
Yes, but that thread is talking about automation curves relating to envelopes.
I was trying to request this on a video demo I uploaded here:

http://www.wyattrice.com/examplevvcmc.html

and there is also a discussion thread here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=52460
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiClick
mmmm, not exactly. it's about the fader action over the percieved volume change.

i just edited that issue posted above to make it a bit clearer
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanrabby
i have reaper set up right now so one scroll wheel click is 1 db, thats with db shape set to 1.0 in prefs, and +16 to -50 scale.

this is exactly how i want them set up. linear numbers of db per movement, linear db all the way to -50 and to +16 in terms of fader movement as well.

any changes, as usual need to keep the backward compatibility of db shape and scale settings and just add on to it. for me ill never need to have any other setting thatn the waqy it is now it turns out,.
Quote:
Thanks antiClick, +1 you got my vote! It is indeed the same ideal. I'm just a bit confused about why anyone here would not like this as a option. What gives? Thanks!
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
joeymusicguy
Human being with feelings

i want this more than anything in the world

i never set anything to inbetween values...

honestly if this feature was available, i'd probably just uninstall cubase and logic haha

please also add 1.5 db or the ability to just type in smallest step size

Last edited by joeymusicguy; 05-23-2010 at 01:17 PM.
joeymusicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
AdamWathan

Definitely in favor of this, the options of 0.1, 0.5 or 1 are all perfect IMO. I could easily get by with just 0.5db increments and it keeps everything nice and neat and easy!
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
WyattRice

Wow!
14 votes in one day .
Old 05-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
joeymusicguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattrice View Post
Wow!
14 votes in one day .
lets just say i know some people. =p
Old 05-30-2010, 03:40 AM   #7
sebas777

How about a simple graphical curve to edit the fader scale to make it more or less linear, and to do it as you work (an item in the mixer context menu) ?

And yes, definable steps (snapping to a "grid", by-passable +shift) make sense. +1 !
sebas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:42 AM   #8
Zero_G

Many other (inferior) DAW have these scales, so totally agree on this... +1 for me!
Old 07-19-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
tombuur

I would like snapping faders, provided snapping only worked when Alt was pressed (or some other appropriate key).

I too hate when the fader says something -6.03 dB and I just can make it latch at -6.00 dB. But on the other hand I would like to move freely too, at least until I have an idea of what it should sound like.

All faders should respond to the mousewheel. Slower movement if shift is pressed. Ctrl + click should set the fader at 0 dB. And yes, snapping at certain values when moving the fader with Alt pressed would complete this.
Reaper 5, latest release, 64-bit w SWS |GA Z270 UD5|Intel i7 K7700|32 GB RAM|Fireface 800|500GB SSD sys, 1TB SSD Rec, 4TB HDD samples|Win 10 64bit|Dynaudio BM6A|Softube Console 1|Sonnox|Waves|Melda|Superior 3|Komplete 12U|Melodyne|Slate|Izotope.
tombuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:19 AM   #10
AdamWathan

Buuuump, pleaaaase add this feature. Nobody likes looking at -3.51db when they are just trying to get -3.5. It's gotta be pretty simple to add some sort of snapping to the faders right?

Right now everything just goes in really weird awkward steps, even when holding ctrl to fine tune. For example it's impossible for me to get -5db, it has to be -4.99db or -5.04. If you are going to force Reaper to jump in any sort of increments, at least make them logical ones!

It is totally unnecessary to go into 2 decimal points, x.x would be more than sufficient. Any sources I've found online indicate that the smallest difference in volume humans can perceive is about 1db, so being able to make adjustments at one tenth of that scale should be enough to satisfy even the most sensitive of ears.
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
WyattRice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
Buuuump, pleaaaase add this feature. Nobody likes looking at -3.51db when they are just trying to get -3.5. It's gotta be pretty simple to add some sort of snapping to the faders right?

Right now everything just goes in really weird awkward steps, even when holding ctrl to fine tune. For example it's impossible for me to get -5db, it has to be -4.99db or -5.04. If you are going to force Reaper to jump in any sort of increments, at least make them logical ones!

It is totally unnecessary to go into 2 decimal points, x.x would be more than sufficient. Any sources I've found online indicate that the smallest difference in volume humans can perceive is about 1db, so being able to make adjustments at one tenth of that scale should be enough to satisfy even the most sensitive of ears.
I agree with you Adam. I don't really know how to do a mockup of this, but I suggested the Vegas way of doing it, like clicking right above the fader, or above the line for tenths of a db, then on the line for 1 db steps. Of course this would be an option. See demo below.

Thanks, Wyatt
Please vote for it here: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=1242

Last edited by WyattRice; 07-31-2010 at 09:36 AM.
WyattRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:12 AM   #12
beatbybit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattrice View Post
.. the Vegas way of doing it, like clicking .. on the line for 1 db steps. Of course this would be an option.
again, +1000 to this.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #13
The-Zeronaut

I need this so much >.<
The-Zeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:24 AM   #14
Luster

+1 from my side
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:41 AM   #15
samkshaw

Reviving a 10-year-old thread, I know, but I'm really disappointed that this hasn't yet been implemented. I voted for this years ago! I know it's pretty trivial (it would mostly help calm my audio engineer OCD) but it seems like such a simple thing to implement.

FWIW, (and I don't know if it would be a separate feature request or part of this one), but to be able to constraint the pan pots to 5% or 10% increments would be great, too.
samkshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:28 PM   #16
ANDYZ

+1 vote
ANDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 05:35 PM   #17
Anshul999

Bumping this up again. I've been using reaper for years now and this still frustrates me. I just want to move the faders in steps of 0.1dB without any hotkeys because I always prefer a mouse.
Anshul999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:06 PM   #18
WyattRice

Yeah! 2021 Bump
Old 08-13-2021, 11:46 PM   #19
More Sound

+1 please!
More Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 11:02 AM   #20
mpl

Just came into this and also didn`t find solution.
So here is my approach (script running in the background), it snaps volume faders for selected tracks live:

Code:
-- @description Snap selected tracks volume faders (background)
-- @version 1.0
-- @author MPL
-- @website http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=188335
-- @changelog
--  + init 

for key in pairs(reaper) do _G[key]=reaper[key]  end 
  local DATA = {UPD={}}
  --------------------------------------------------------------------------
  function quantize(v, step) local  mult = v/step  return v*math.ceil(mult) end
  function PerformSnap()
    --if not ValidatePtr(tr, 'MediaTrack*') then return end

for i=1, CountSelectedTracks(0) do
      local tr = GetSelectedTrack(0,i-1)
      local vol = GetMediaTrackInfo_Value( tr, 'D_VOL' )
      local db = WDL_VAL2DB(vol)

-- quantize
      local out_db = db
      if db>0 then out_db = math_q(db, 0.1)  end
      if db>-2 and db<0 then out_db = math_q(db, 0.1)  end
      if db>-6 and db<=-2 then out_db = math_q(db, 0.2)  end
      if db>-12 and db<=-6 then out_db = math_q(db, 0.5)  end
      if db>-24 and db<=-12 then out_db = math_q(db, 1)  end
      if db<-24 then out_db = math_q(db, 2)  end
      SetMediaTrackInfo_Value( tr, 'D_VOL',WDL_DB2VAL(out_db) )
    end
  end
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  function math_q(num, step)  
    if not step then if math.abs(num - math.floor(num)) < math.abs(num - math.ceil(num)) then return math.floor(num) else return math.ceil(num) end end
    if step then  return math_q(num/step)*step end
  end
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  function WDL_DB2VAL(x) return math.exp((x)*0.11512925464970228420089957273422) end  --https://github.com/majek/wdl/blob/master/WDL/db2val.h
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  function WDL_VAL2DB(x)   --https://github.com/majek/wdl/blob/master/WDL/db2val.h
    if not x or x < 0.0000000298023223876953125 then return -150.0 end
    local v=math.log(x)*8.6858896380650365530225783783321
    if v<-150.0 then return -150.0 else return v end
  end
  function handleProjUpdates()
    local SCC =  GetProjectStateChangeCount( 0 )
    if (DATA.UPD.lastSCC and DATA.UPD.lastSCC~=SCC ) then DATA.UPD.onprojstatechange = true end
    DATA.UPD.lastSCC = SCC

local editcurpos =  GetCursorPosition() 
    if (DATA.UPD.last_editcurpos and DATA.UPD.last_editcurpos~=editcurpos ) then DATA.UPD.onprojstatechange = true end
    DATA.UPD.last_editcurpos=editcurpos 

local reaproj = tostring(EnumProjects( -1 ))
    DATA.UPD.reaproj = reaproj
    if DATA.UPD.last_reaproj and DATA.UPD.last_reaproj ~= DATA.UPD.reaproj then DATA.UPD.onprojtabchange = true end
    DATA.UPD.last_reaproj = reaproj
  end
  function run()
    handleProjUpdates()
    if DATA.UPD.onprojtabchange == true or DATA.UPD.onprojstatechange == true then PerformSnap() end
    defer(run)
  end

run()
  reaper.atexit()
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 09:07 AM   #21
More Sound

mpl, you are a genius! thanks for your work
Old 11-02-2023, 09:14 AM   #22
guycalledxan

I asked about this the other day: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....62#post2725762

I was just coming back to write a feature request when I found this post. I think the original post and these comments are still relevant.

I saw WyattRice mentioned Vegas as an example, and as an former Vegas user, I'd love to see that (plus I know it was early inspiration for Reaper.

I'd love to add a poll to this thread to help gauge interest, but I don't think I can. I'm hoping bumping this old post is better than creating a new one.

One thing to note that's not in the replies to the linked thread: I've since seen that a lot of the more prominent scripters in the community have versions of "increase/decrease selected track volume by X sensible amount" that you can bind to stuff. Plus I see mpl has a background script. But common to all of those solutions are that:

a) The behaviour is not native behavior so users have to go hunt for solutions and set them up and related,
b) They can be hard to find (I'd not seen the mpl script turn up in my search results until just now), and
c) None of them (except from the sounds of it, the mpl script) work when moving the fader with your mouse, which is behaviour I've learned to expect from every other DAW I can think of.

As in the top post, I think having the curve and the steps configurable would keep everyone happy? Plus having it configurable is what Reaper is great at
guycalledxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 09:22 AM   #23
More Sound

thumbs up!