Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 01-22-2015, 05:28 PM   #1
multibusy
Human being with feelings

Default Cannot remove effects from tracks (SOLVED)

I have recently started using Reaper. As training I recorded two tracks with maybe 2 or 3 effects on each as inserts. The effects were basically ReaEQ, ReaDelay, and maybe a chorus, just to experiment and get used to the daw.

Eventually, to start clean with the two recorded tracks, I attempted to remove the effects altogether. I tried "unticking" the checkbox first, that didn't work, the effects were still present. Then I tried removing the effects, also from the effects window, no luck either. My last attempt was to turn effects off from the track window itself, clicking on the effects button which turns it red, again no luck.

It seems as if the effects are permanently embedded in the files themselves, very strange.

Any ideas?

I am using Windows 8, but the same thing happened on an IMac (using midi files.)
multibusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:35 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hello multibusy and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information.

Could it be that the FX were added as 'Input FX' rather than as 'Inserts'? Can you describe exactly how you added them?

If they were Input FX then they are applied to the incoming audio. The effected audio is then recorded.

Alternatively, perhaps you could compress a simple problem project file (with a small audio sample) into a ZIP file and post it here as an attachment so we can have a look at it and see what's (not) happening?

------------------
I just saw that the same problem occurred on an iMac using MIDI files, so my theory was wrong. Please post a problem project - using MIDI and ReaSynth would be fine.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:43 PM   #3
multibusy

The effects were added as inserts (they showed up in the mixer view, within the track they were assigned to). When I clicked on the FX button on the track in the Track Control Panel, they also showed up correctly.

I am not sure what "Input FX" is. It doesn't show up in the manual, but I am thinking that refers to FX applied prior to reaching Reaper (as with outboard gear or interface-sourced effects?) Anyhow, that was not the case. These were VST's that came with REAPER.

I just re-installed REAPER, to eliminate my possible over-tweaking with settings on the previous installation. Will try to reproduce the issue, hopefully I won't be able to! If I can reproduce the problem, I will post it here. But PLEASE read on, DarkStar my friend, it gets awful strange.

Aside from the above, check this out:
On a separate project, after recording some items (separate loops) through EZDrummer 2 onto REAPER (intro, verse, chorus, ect. loops), the following three things started to happen:

First, the volume level of whichever the first item happened to be, would always play significantly louder (in its REAPER track), regardless of which loop is placed at the beginning of the track (I moved them around...the intro first, then the verse first, or the chorus and even the ending! Made no difference!)

The second thing is that after moving these loops around, I could hear drums even when the cursor (playhead) was moving through empty regions!These EZD2 loops were all on track 1. There was nothing else recorded in track 2 of a 2-track project. The routing of both was the standard thing for a typical drag-and-drop EZD2 procedure.

Lastly, as the drum loops played, they started to sound progressively off, as with a phlanger-like effect, or with latency within the drum beats themselves(for example the tom hits sounded double, with the tinyest bit of space between each. This was on one-hit tom strikes.....). But this was a gradual thing...nothing at the beginning of the track, then slowly more and more noticeable.

Thanks for your Patience dude! For the record, all the above happened with no alcohol, drugs, ect....involvement. Just sayin'!
Old 01-27-2015, 08:31 AM   #4
multibusy

Default follow up

After re-installing REAPER, the "un-removeable FX" from an audio track did not happen again. I think the reason was that the initial problem ocurred with an audio track I was experimenting with, that I recorded using the INTERNAL laptop microphone. I am thinking the internal mike picked up and re-recorded the track sounds with the effects, and later, as I tried removing the effects, nothing happened because they were already "re-recorded" onto the new take (make sense?). I am now using a Scarlett 2i4 and THAT problem hasn't happened.

However, now with the new installation, I have still caught an EZDrummer 2 midi loop play where there was no loop in the track. I initially dropped the loop close to the start of the track. I later moved it further down in the track to coincide with a certain part of the song, but I still heard the intro at the very beginning, even though nothing was there.....

Ideas?
Thanks.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:34 AM   #5
Fergler

Lots of drum plugins have internal tempo-synced playback features, I've not used EZDrummer 2 but I see what I'm talking about at the bottom of the interface:

http://logic-pro-expert.com/wp-conte...-interface.jpg

I would reckon that the play button is on This is a way to test out MIDI loops from a library from within EZDrummer 2 along with your song.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:44 AM   #6
multibusy

Thanks Fergler. That sounds very plausible. Unfortunately I won't be able to check that on this particular instance, since I corrected the problem by copying the desired drum loop, and pasting it on a new track, then deleting the problematic one.

I will try to replicate and look for the play button staying on. It sounds like that's where the problem would be.

Thanks again!
Old 01-28-2015, 08:26 AM   #7
darkcloud2973

Quote:
Originally Posted by multibusy View Post
Thanks Fergler. That sounds very plausible. Unfortunately I won't be able to check that on this particular instance, since I corrected the problem by copying the desired drum loop, and pasting it on a new track, then deleting the problematic one.

I will try to replicate and look for the play button staying on. It sounds like that's where the problem would be.

Thanks again!
It might also be that you previewed the drum loop in EZ and forgot to stop the preview. I'm not sure how it works in EZ but I have done that in Addictive Drums. The preview will play with the track. It can be alarming, ha ha.
darkcloud2973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:36 AM   #8
multibusy

Default Midi Fixed!

The EZD2 screen on the active FX list for the track indeed was open, and the loop was still in the preview window, with the looping feature on! So, every time I pushed play on REAPER, the EZD2 loop would play over and over, regardless of what was in the REAPER track. I removed the loop from the EZD2 window, and the loop stopped playing continuously. I now only plays where shown on the REAPER track.

Thanks so much! This problem had me frustrated thinking REAPER might be a problematic DAW that I otherwise like a lot. I had a hunch it was a fixable issues, just couldn't pinpoint the problem.

Thank you all for your help!
Old 01-29-2015, 10:58 AM   #9
darkcloud2973

I'm glad you figured it out! They really should put some kind of flashing warning light for those loop previews or something. It can be very confusing since the preview starts and stops with the track playback.
darkcloud2973 is offline   Reply With Quote