Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #81
richie43
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Because the installer requires elevated priviliges when it launches. At the end of the installation when it asks "launch now", it launches Reaper while still under elevated privileges. Those privileges may be passed on to the child process (Reaper). So at least during that session drag and drop might be funky or a remote chance this causes the run as admin option to be set everytime reaper is launched after that (doubt it though).

However, I'm sure they fixed this a good while back (just tested), so I don't really think its the problem at all; I was just double checking.
Interesting. I get it now. I just tested this and it was no problem
Old 11-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #82
Jae.Thomas

it works after restarting.

however, windows update seems weird. I may have messed something up.

what are the default security policy settings?
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #83
Jae.Thomas

i cant get windows updates to install, error 800F0922
Old 11-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #84
danfuerth

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=34815

Must install from the download

and

**third-party service that is installed on your computer as a use control/licensing measure by one or more non-Microsoft products**

Run msconfig, go to the services tab and see if you have "Nalpeiron Licensing Service" running. If so, uncheck the box to start this service on start up, reboot your computer, and install the upgrade. Once this is done, you can go back into msconfig and check the box to resume starting this service on startup.

that service is for Nitro PDF Professional 6.2.0.44
so disabled that service and reboot then try to install the updates again
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #85
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfuerth View Post
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=34815

Must install from the download

and

**third-party service that is installed on your computer as a use control/licensing measure by one or more non-Microsoft products**

Run msconfig, go to the services tab and see if you have "Nalpeiron Licensing Service" running. If so, uncheck the box to start this service on start up, reboot your computer, and install the upgrade. Once this is done, you can go back into msconfig and check the box to resume starting this service on startup.

that service is for Nitro PDF Professional 6.2.0.44
so disabled that service and reboot then try to install the updates again
I just looked at this, and I am wondering what this has to do with jason's issues.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #86
Jae.Thomas

nothing, actually - that service doesn't exist on my system.

that being said, it could be completely unrelated. I am ignoring the updates for now.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #87
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
nothing, actually - that service doesn't exist on my system.

that being said, it could be completely unrelated. I am ignoring the updates for now.
Concerning the windows security update... If not old news... You can get that error if some of the updates didn't install. Say 10 updates were found but only 9 succeeded. One particular update that may fail via Windows Update is a flash player based security update and one of the workarounds to get it to install is to download that update and install it manually.

As far as the nitro service, likely some commonality to WU as well but I'm just not aware of it. That's proably an if you have it, do it suggestion; actually both are.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #88
nalooti

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
Windows 8 is awesome, I'm very impressed.

Ben
I'm still on W7 x64 and find it not that bad as an OS.
Is there any real reason to migrate from w7 to W8 with all the hidden troubles ?

Something I hate in w7 is the file explorer. Here is why:

- it crashes from time to time (I guess because it is uselessly complex while it just has to do well some basic jobs)

- just moving a file (albeit huge, say a HD movie) from a folder into another one, sometimes takes very long (even longer than if it had to "copy" it instead of move it); that may be because of some other installed apps, who knows...

- just showing a folder contents sometimes takes too long. I did change the properties of those folders to "normal files" that is neither audio nor videos (that can be scanned to show playtime and various other info) but it didn't change its behavior

For someone knowing the power of Unix commands, windoze/NTFS permission system sure sucks. You just have few commands (chown, chmode, chgrp) to deal with all permission aspects.
nalooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #89
Jae.Thomas

I just ran into the D&D problem again... man.. what happened?

Is there some guide to how permissions are different that I can read and understand to figure this out?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #90
Jae.Thomas

disabling UAC did it
Old 01-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #91
karbomusic

Quote:
I just ran into the D&D problem again... man.. what happened?

Is there some guide to how permissions are different that I can read and understand to figure this out?
Not sure about a guide that's worth the read. You could however go to the source just confirm what context Reaper is running under. That will show you exactly how it is loaded regardless of any settings that are supposed to control it.

- Get Process Explorer from SysInternals, throw it in a folder and create a shortcut to it. It's too valuable of a tool to not have and no install is needed. It's basically what Task Manager should have been.

- Run Process Explorer and then Reaper. Find Reaper in its task list and double-click it to bring up the properties of Reaper.

- Click on the Environment tab. Is there a field there called __COMPAT_LAYER and if so what value is to the right? Its mere existience means its likely running under some compatibility context.

- Click on the security tab. In the top list under Group, what is the flag that is set for BUILTIN\Administrators? It may say Owner or Deny IIRC. If owner, Reaper is being run as Administrator, if Deny then likely as your user account.

If __COMPAT_LAYER is missing and BULTIN\Administrators is set to Deny, then report back. Might have to go back and make sure your previous GPO settings aren't part of the problem (I can show you how to possibly tell). Otherwise, we can find it.

Edit: There are easier ways to get this answer but you've had previous issues and I want to see how it is actually Running, not just knowing what the checkbox says.

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-08-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #92
karbomusic

Quote:
disabling UAC did it
UAC is the only component I know of that creates a barrier between two user accounts with in the context of who owns the process. As per way earlier in the thread, that is typically what prevents D&D into Reaper. In this case Reaper being the process. Something is obviously not quite right but the only way to know is knock out the possible reasons one by one.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #93
Jae.Thomas

I had to run process explorer as an admin

Quote:
- Click on the Environment tab. Is there a field there called __COMPAT_LAYER and if so what value is to the right? Its mere existience means its likely running under some compatibility context.

Quote:
- Click on the security tab. In the top list under Group, what is the flag that is set for BUILTIN\Administrators? It may say Owner or Deny IIRC. If owner, Reaper is being run as Administrator, if Deny then likely as your user account.

ok, im gonna clear the compatibility stuff if I can...
Old 01-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #94
Jae.Thomas

ok I can drag and drop again phew. lol.

I think I thought there was some issue with a plugin so i set it to win7 compatibility.

I also took off the "run as admin" thing... hmmm wonder if i should have.

Last edited by Jae.Thomas; 01-08-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:56 PM   #95
karbomusic

Quote:

I also took off the "run as admin" thing... hmmm wonder if i should have.
Yes, uncheck that always. If you find you need it checked, mention it when it happens so we can figure that part out. Glad you got it working again.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #96
karbomusic

Quote:
I had to run process explorer as an admin
Process explorer needs to run as admin in order to pull such deep info about processes and the OS so yea, that's a case where Run as admin is actually a good thing.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #97
sammydix

Default Same prob with WIn7

i must be the most unlucky person here. absolutely nothing above has worked for me. this thread is the closest i've seen for my prob: no D&D--just out of the blue. NEVER had this prob before until recently. D&D has always worked for me in all the years i've used Reaper. I'm on Win7 and have done nothing different--except for Windows Updates. I recently tried to drag both wav and midi file from explorer and nothing--no error, no icon (except the little box that LOOKS like it will drag ok). just nothing happens. I tried everything posted above in all sorts of combination. i'm not even sure if it's a matter of UAC for me.

as stated earlier, D&D from Reaper's browser itself works fine, but Reaper's browser is not so fast to navigate as windows explorer. anybody else had this happen recently (within the past two mos or so)?
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #98
karbomusic

Quote:
as stated earlier, D&D from Reaper's browser itself works fine, but Reaper's browser is not so fast to navigate as windows explorer. anybody else had this happen recently (within the past two mos or so)?
Hi Sammy,

So you are sure that if you right click reaper.exe > properties > Compatibility > privilege level that "Run this program as an administrator" isn't checked?

And when you launch reaper you never see a UAC dialog or anything?

The reaper browser should work... Its running under the same privilgeges reaper itself is since it is effectively reaper.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #99
sammydix

Default wow! fast.

i'm quite sure. as stated, i tried every single suggestion above. where i stand now is: admin-UNchcked, and my GP back to normal (after all the 'disabling' suggested in the Win8 article). where i stand now is how everything's always been when d&d worked fine.

thx for the fast reply KM
Old 02-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #100
karbomusic

Quote:
and my GP back to normal (after all the 'disabling' suggested in the Win8 article).
That's a little scary. So following every suggestion in this thread you also ran process explorer and confirmed the token/privileges reaper is running under (6 or 7 posts up from this one)? Last one I'll ask but since there are very few reason d&d would not work, I need to know the answer to what process explorer shows to be sure.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #101
sammydix

__COMPAT_LAYER does not exist.

Built in\Admin--Owner

Compatibility: Run As Administrator--unchecked
Old 02-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #102
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammydix View Post
__COMPAT_LAYER does not exist.

Built in\Admin--Owner

Compatibility: Run As Administrator--unchecked
Builtin\Administrator = owner means reaper is running with elevated privileges meaning its running as admin even though the box isn't checked and is also why D&D won't work.

The correct entry should be Built in\Admin = Deny. Give me a few...
Old 02-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #103
sammydix

sounds like we're getting closer then.
i'm really appreciating the help!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #104
karbomusic

Before I forget the simple test... If you open notepad, can you drag a reaper project into notepad?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #105
sammydix

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6968026/del.RPP.txt
Old 02-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #106
karbomusic

LOL, I didn't need the file, just wanted to know if D&D worked when you run notepad.

Is reaper installed or the portable version? That might give you something to check into in the meantime. IE: Plop the portable somewhere as if it were a throw away install and see if that allows drag and drop. Just make sure you put the portable folder on your desktop or my documents so we know it is a folder you own.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #107
sammydix

haha! sorry.
ok. trying the portable version now...
Old 02-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #108
sammydix

sorry about the wait, had to re-download.
portable works fine.

uhhh...that is before I imported my installed Reaper configurations.

when i opened it clean. a wav file d&d'd just fine.

afterwards, i said, "hell, i'll just use the portable version" then imported my configuration files. BAM! "could not import 1 of 1 items."
at least there was an error message with the portable version.

checked the port in PE and, of course, "Environment" doesn't exist, but
security says "Owner."

so could it be that i changed something in my Reaper settings itself?
since it worked raw, but not after i imported my config files?

Last edited by sammydix; 02-19-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #109
karbomusic

Quote:
sorry about the wait, had to re-download.
portable works fine.
OK so that actual path to the installed version is likely flagged. On a guess and a whim you can check these three registry keys and see if the path to the installed version of Reaper.exe exists in either list:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Store

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

I don't expect it to be that easy but I would like to know if it shows up in the list. Have you updated reaper lately?
Old 02-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #110
sammydix

it does not appear in "persisted" nor "layers"

"store" doesn't exist.

also, did you see the edit above? the portable worked until i imported my config files.
right now i'm trying to see what happens if i delete my Reaper.ini.

oh, and i updated to 4.32 shortly after it was released...just about when everything started.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #111
karbomusic

Quote:
it does not appear in "persisted" nor "layers"

"store" doesn't exist.

also, did you see the edit above?
I didn't see the edit but I do know. That is certainly interesting. The import of the config... I'm assuming it imports all of those directly into the portable folder, if it doesn't and uses %appdata% or similar maybe it migrates the issue. I wonder how reaper references settings when exporting from the installed version since in the installed version there can be files that aren't actually in the install directory such as AppData etc. Maybe the import references those same paths but its a complete speculation.

However, I don't remember that being the case with the importing of a config via preferences. Then again, when I originally moved from install to portable (love the portable) I manually copied all the settings into the folder, then on subsequent exports I used my newly working portable version.

So its not the quickest solution and I don't know which is faster or if either will tell us what we need but...

1. Manually copy over settings using the "old" way before the config export in preferences existed. See if that works.

2. Use the existing export/import but only do 1 setting at a time to see if you can narrow it down.

I think the quickest test is to copy over reaper.ini manually and see what happens and even with #1 above you may want to copy 1 file at a time. I think we're getting closer even if not ideal.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #112
karbomusic

Oops, meant to ask "Could not import 1 of 1 items" did that happen during the config import or the D&D?
Old 02-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #113
sammydix

tried an uninstall and clean install of Reaper with same results.
that makes me confused as to why the portable worked clean, but not with my fully installed Reaper config.

...then i went to the Portable and deleted the "data" folder so that it reset.

...D&D worked fine again.

ARRRRGGGGHHH!!!!

think i'll just use the portable while its clean and lose all my personal customizations, then slowly try to get back to where i was.

any ideas are still welcome, but i don't want to take too much of your time.
stay cool like you are man. we need more like ya.

Sam
Old 02-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #114
karbomusic

Yet another item I forgot.... Since you mentioned the install of 4.32... There used to be a condition (that I'm sure isn't the case these days) where if you clicked launch now right after the install, Reaper could end up needing admin rights (silently) and breaking D&D but I'm certain that was fixed and I may have already referenced earlier in this or another D&D thread.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #115
karbomusic

Quote:
tried an uninstall and clean install of Reaper with same results.
that makes me confused as to why the portable worked clean, but not with my fully installed Reaper config.

...then i went to the Portable and deleted the "data" folder so that it reset.

...D&D worked fine again.

ARRRRGGGGHHH!!!!

think i'll just use the portable while its clean and lose all my personal customizations, then slowly try to get back to where i was.

any ideas are still welcome, but i don't want to take too much of your time.
stay cool like you are man. we need more like ya.

Sam
I'd dig in a little as you have time, I think you are damn close. I'd also copy some settings manually (be sure to check in start > run > %appdata%... there are several subfolders aka locallow, roaming that will contain a Reaper folder... there may be some customizations that matter there. IOW, I don't think you'll need to rebuild everything that matters to you settings wise the hard way. Once you have a portable you can make copies of it and bulletproof it try things and not worry about breaking stuff because you'll have copies of the portable with settings at some point.

The assist was my pleasure, let us know where you get or if you have more questions.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #116
sammydix

ha! like minds. you must have been writing your reply about the same time i was writing mine (try settings one by one to see if the prob reappears).

the could not import error was for the wav file, not the config.

and i did "launch Reaper now" after reinstalling.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #117
karbomusic

Quote:
the could not import error was for the wav file, not the config.
I would normally think that wasn't UAC (the error) and you should just see the circle with the slash through it and no warning but we did see the admin=owner bit so let's just remember that behavior for later in case it becomes relevant. Me wants to think a file has a location or properties that forces Reaper into admin mode. hmm...

Quote:
and i did "launch Reaper now" after reinstalling.
Hmmm again...
Old 02-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #118
sammydix

Reaper's built so well, I rarely have questions that i can't figure out. but if/when i do again, i know where to come.

thanks so much karboM.

...oh, didn't see the above. it's like the Installed and the Portable are trying to get me from every angle! The freshly installed still does nothing on drag and the Portable with the config imported gives me the error message. i must have been a bad boy this year. hehe.

Last edited by sammydix; 02-19-2013 at 08:47 PM.