Old 11-13-2007, 11:12 PM   #1
wickerman
Human being with feelings

Default Can't Run Reaper

Hi. This is the first time this has happened and need some help.

I use a Line 6 Toneport and record using ASIO drivers in Reaper. I selected the ASIO driver in the preferences and record a couple of tracks - no problem - just like always.
Then this time, I went into the preferences to change the audio device so I can hear it back on my monitors and Reaper crashed. I usually use either DirectSound or WDM for playback (can't remember which one). I may have selected DirectSound by mistake and that may be the issue.

Now, every time I try and open Reaper, it says it has encountered a problem and needs to close. In the error report, the modname and appname both say reaper.exe. I can't run the proggie at all.

Seems like I have to change the drivers in the preferences but Reaper won't stay open to let me.

FYI, I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling Reaper and that didn't change anything. I'm using XP Pro.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Geoff
wickerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:32 PM   #2
groove6

dude,

you say you are using win XP pro -
have you tried system restore ??

you may want to try performing a "find" in the registry for "reaper.exe" (or just reaper) delete the keys and then try the re-install.

Groove

Disclaimer:
try suggestions at your own risk, because these suggestions have worked for others - does not mean that they will neccessarily work for you - also does not neccessarily mean these suggestions will will hose up your machine.
groove6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:03 PM   #3
Diogenes

Reaper stores NOTHING in the Registry. No need to hack there...

First, try Start > Programs > REAPER > REAPER (reset configuration to factory defaults). See if that gets you started.

OT: reset to "factory" defaults... I get a vision in my minds eye of Justin and Christophe locked up in a dingy, dirty, rusty sheet-metal building with holes all in it, bangin' out code with no water cooler breaks or air-conditioning... the Reaper Factory.

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:17 PM   #4
groove6

to the contrary, it may claim so, but if you do a search there are reg keys and they do have sub keys, I am not a registry expert / hack by any stretch, all I'm saying though is to remove all traces before re-installing

there are a few reg keys it leaves.....

groove 6
groove6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:49 PM   #5
Lawrence

Reaper does store some things in the registry but not much. Rearoute dll seems to be registered with the system. I wonder if Rearoute can even be used from a non-installed USB key launch? I don't know. Try it on a system where Reaper was never installed.

I don't think Justin ever claimed nothing was written to the registry. There's not much there though beyond program paths and some other things that Windows probably does on it's own.

Compared to most windows programs it might as well be nothing.

I know Rearoute is registered because it shows up in Cubase, and it's rewire outputs, which also show up.

Last edited by Lawrence; 11-15-2007 at 07:11 PM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:32 PM   #6
Diogenes

From the manual... page 24

Quote:
REAPER does not store any install data, settings or preferences in your
Windows Registry. Yes, that’s right! Windows will set up an item for REAPER
under HKEY_ LOCAL_MACHINE, Software but it will not contain any data.
The only other exception to this is that Windows keeps a record of your file
movements in Registry areas such as its MUICache but none of these
references will affect REAPER’s ability to function in any way.
Aside from that quote I also searched the Registry on my PC. I didn't find any significant entries that looked like they would cause Reaper to bomb. I'd be more inclined to think the ini file was hosed or something along those lines.

D

Last edited by Diogenes; 11-15-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:28 PM   #7
wickerman

All,

Thanks for the replies... sorry for MY late reply. For whatever reason, everything appears to be fine. I opened up Reaper tonight with no problems... adjusted my audio device and life is good.
I'm not sure what happened but will keep an eye on it going forward.

Cheers!

Geoff
wickerman is offline   Reply With Quote