Old 05-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
juliansader
Human being with feelings

Default LFO tool for MIDI editor and envelopes

This thread is a continuation of the Lua and automation envelopes generation thread over at the Pre-Release Discussion forum, and is intended to focus on the LFO Tool script.

An envelope version as well as a MIDI editor version are available, and can be installed via ReaPack, as part of the ReaTeam script collection.

INSTRUCTIONS: Detailed instructions can be read by clicking the "?" button in the bottom right of the GUI.

CREDITS: Note that this LFO Tool is derived from Xenakios's "Envelope generator" script, which was unfortunately abandoned. The original script can still be found in the thread linked to above.

LFO Tool for automation envelopes:

LFO Tool for the MIDI editor:

Using the LFO Tool to insert CCs under selected notes instead of in the time selection:

Applying the LFO Tool to existing velocities:

----------
My other scripts: MIDI editor tools: warp, stretch, deselect etc

Donations

Last edited by juliansader; 05-11-2019 at 01:33 AM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:18 PM   #2
mpl

Cool stuff. Thanks!
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:38 AM   #3
X-Raym

Very cool ! Thanks for sharing !

Let us know if you want to join ReaTeam, or create your own repo
It would make your script even more accessible
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:59 PM   #4
kkostovas

Very nice work and a really beautiful GUI(Really dig the colours).

I was wondering if you have any plans of making the script able to quantize the rate.

Or maybe add the option to fine adjust the rate to come closer to the grid manually.(at the moment it jumps a bit and can't match it to the grid).
kkostovas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:10 AM   #5
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkostovas View Post
I was wondering if you have any plans of making the script able to quantize the rate.

Or maybe add the option to fine adjust the rate to come closer to the grid manually.(at the moment it jumps a bit and can't match it to the grid).
Good ideas. I am not sure how difficult it will be, but I will try to see what I can do.

To improve the resolution of the envelope drawing area, you can try to increase the size of the GUI.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:27 AM   #6
kkostovas

Just brainstorming here...

Since the envelope points are added in time selection we really don't care about tempo, just the start, end and length of the selection in order to generate points at equally distant positions. For instance if we want a square wave in the envelope we can set that we want 2 points for the rate in the selection so this will create a single square(we don't take into account the 2 points at start and end). If we set 3 points then we will have a square wave plus the first half and so on. And this can go to really big number but it will always be proportional to the length.

What I mean by "don't care about tempo" is if the time selection matches the grid that is fine and it will also match the tempo but if we have audio recorded without a tempo track we can specify the length of a bar by selecting it and the envelope will match that.

I hope I am making sense...

I just find myself using this a lot to create effects and strange modulations and I feel that I miss this "sync" feature.

PS I saw there was a deactivated rate option in the script which also Xenakios had it working at some point but then he also removed it. Maybe it is not possible currently.
kkostovas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:10 AM   #7
Vagelis

Hi Julian, I found a bug with lfo tool and take pitch envelope. While it's working fine with rest take envelopes, with take pitch it doesn't use the whole pitch range.

Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 01:22 AM   #8
juliansader

Does this happen only in this one take, or in other projects and takes too?

Could you perhaps send me a minimal project with the problematic take and pitch envelope?
Old 01-26-2022, 02:31 PM   #9
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Does this happen only in this one take, or in other projects and takes too?

Could you perhaps send me a minimal project with the problematic take and pitch envelope?
But this happens with every project or take only with pitch envelope. I tried with samples from different folders too.

I'm on Win 10 64bit, Latest Reaper version
Old 01-29-2022, 07:21 AM   #10
juliansader

I found the source of the problem!

When the Pitch envelope's range has been changed, the script doesn't pick it up. I'll try to find a solution.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:03 AM   #11
Vagelis

Quote:
I found the source of the problem!

When the Pitch envelope's range has been changed, the script doesn't pick it up. I'll try to find a solution.
All right great news! Yes makes sense, my range is up to 36 semi.
Old 02-23-2022, 07:59 AM   #12
Vagelis

Quote:
I've uploaded v2.15 of the script, which should hopefully fix the bug.
Sorry the problem still happens with the pitch range set to 36 semitones
I changed the pitch range to default -3 to +3 semitones, then the envelope was being shown with full range on take, with the lfo amplitude set to maximum.

My pitch range setting is up to 36 semitones, did you try it with this range on your setup too and it worked?
Old 02-23-2022, 08:26 AM   #13
Vagelis

Actually with the newest lfo version i found another bug which was not there previously.
The problem is that i can't trigger properly the lfo by touching the take envelope.
And when i'm adjusting the lfo parameters, the changes on the envelope are not updated in real-time. I have to drag an envelope point to show up, but if i drag an envelope point again it resets the lfo adjustments to the previous shape the envelope was before. And it goes like this in cycle.

P.S this is happening only with take envelopes and not with track envelopes.

Here's a gif:

Old 02-23-2022, 03:29 PM   #14
juliansader

Quote:
Actually with the newest lfo version i found another bug which was not there previously.
Whoops! Please try the new v2.16.

Quote:
Sorry the problem still happens with the pitch range set to 36 semitones
Hopefully the hotfix for the regression also solves this problem. It works perfectly on my side.

* When you edit the problematic envelope, does the UI say "Pitch" at the bottom? (Which indicates that the script detected a pitch envelope.)
Old 02-25-2022, 02:35 PM   #15
Vagelis

Quote:
Whoops! Please try the new v2.16.

Hopefully the hotfix for the regression also solves this problem. It works perfectly on my side.

* When you edit the problematic envelope, does the UI say "Pitch" at the bottom? (Which indicates that the script detected a pitch envelope.)
Wow it works on your side? I tried again the latest update, I can trigger the lfo as I could do previously but still it didn't solve the issue with the pitch range here
Really sad because Lfo tool is one of my basic tools and pitch envelope is really important for my work.

Old 02-25-2022, 04:57 PM   #16
juliansader

Ah, thanks for the GIF! I see what the problem is: you're using the Pitch settings in global Preferences whereas I was using the per-envelope settings that you get when right-clicking on an envelope. (I actually forgot about the settings in Preferences. REAPER has so many settings!)

I will try to figure out how to read those global Pitch settings.