Old 01-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #1
Tubeguy
Human being with feelings

Default Using only Reapler plugins - any Saturation?

For the first time I've done a whole mix using only Reaper plugins. Well, I only used Reacomp and ReaEQ because that's all I needed forthbis mix. To my amazement it turned out to be probably one of the cleanest mixes. I must say that I have underestimated Repaer plugins even though I've been advised otherwise (you know who you are :-))
Anyway, only problem I have is with the mix being so clean and shiny, I need saturation and the only one Reaper has is JS Saturation which imo doesn't do much of anything and doesn't even have output level control.
Maybe there is another one in Reaper but is called something else I've not come across? I want to finish the mix only with Reaper plugins so saturation is all I need. I'll deal with Reaper reverb later.
Tubeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:11 PM   #2
ashcat_lt

Now that ReaComp has been fixed, I've been using it for saturation more and more. Just set all the time constants to 0, ratio to infinity, and adjust the knee to maybe 6db. If you really smash things, the stereo linked nature of it can get weird, but for what I usually do with it, it's been working pretty well.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:59 PM   #3
Dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeguy View Post
For the first time I've done a whole mix using only Reaper plugins. Well, I only used Reacomp and ReaEQ because that's all I needed forthbis mix. To my amazement it turned out to be probably one of the cleanest mixes. I must say that I have underestimated Repaer plugins even though I've been advised otherwise (you know who you are :-))
Anyway, only problem I have is with the mix being so clean and shiny, I need saturation and the only one Reaper has is JS Saturation which imo doesn't do much of anything and doesn't even have output level control.
Maybe there is another one in Reaper but is called something else I've not come across? I want to finish the mix only with Reaper plugins so saturation is all I need. I'll deal with Reaper reverb later.
You can stack a few instances of the js saturation effect. There's also an effect called waveshaping distortion if you want a more pronounced effect.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:13 AM   #4
JamesPeters

Non-Linear Processor
Multi Waveshaper
Compciter
3x3 EQ
4x4 EQ
Old 01-12-2019, 03:17 AM   #5
Tubeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Now that ReaComp has been fixed,
What do you mean fixed? There is some new version?
Old 01-12-2019, 07:52 AM   #6
ashcat_lt

Quote:
What do you mean fixed? There is some new version?
They fixed the knee in v5.95 I think.

Last edited by ashcat_lt; 01-12-2019 at 08:24 PM.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #7
Magicbuss

Why ONLY use reaper FX when there are a boatlod of excellent free or cheap FX to augment the stock plugins.

Free saturation
Klanghelm IVGI
Wave Arts Tube saturator
Softube saturation knob
Airwindows ToTape and console 5
Ferric TDS and Tessla pro from Bootsie (32 bit opnly)
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:04 PM   #8
georget

I found myself in the same situation. Just when I was pondering the question, "Don't Crack" sent me an offer for the "Nomad Factory - Analog Studio Rack" for $29.99. Its supposed to give you more of that analog sound with the ability to get some drive and saturation out of the various modules. Unfortunately the price shot back up to $139.00. That said I prefer a cleaner sound in my mixes and use the studio rack sparingly. May be keep monitoring for deals. I have gotten a couple of good buys when the timing lined up.
georget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:03 PM   #9
numberthirty

First, I wouldn't really rule out the suggestions in the two posts above this one(think about that you might have made an incorrect assumption about Reaper's stock effects...). A pretty modest investment could get you something like what I think you want.

That said, which one of the following best describes your situation?

- "I would be happy with just a little saturation on the overall mix."

- "If I had some control over the individual saturation of each instrument, that would be even better."
numberthirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:07 PM   #10
numberthirty

One other thing I might consider looking into...

While "Saturation" is where you head is, it might be worth it to look into "Console" emulation software. The Sonimus console emulation is one of the best "Improvement Vs. Cost" purchases I have ever made. While it isn't aimed right at "Saturation" as an effect, it may very well get you near where it seems like you want to go.

https://sonimus.com/
numberthirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:55 PM   #11
future fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
They fixed the knee in v5.95 I think.
Have they fixed the oversampling yet?
future fields is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #12
future fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbuss View Post
Why ONLY use reaper FX when there are a boatlod of excellent free or cheap FX to augment the stock plugins.

Free saturation
Klanghelm IVGI
Wave Arts Tube saturator
Softube saturation knob
Airwindows ToTape and console 5
Ferric TDS and Tessla pro from Bootsie (32 bit opnly)
Theres something to be said imo for having a set, fixed set of tools that you learn inside out and just kind of stick to those rather than reaching for different plugins everytime

i think you can get a more cohesive sound this way
future fields is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:32 AM   #13
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeGuy
I want to finish the mix only with Reaper plugins so saturation is all I need.
Why do you people suggest something what isn't requested? TubeGuy isn't retarded or an alien of a far galaxy. He knows something about saturation what also implies that he knows third party plugins which would do the job. He just don't want them for this project. ಠ‿↼

TubeGuy, here is one with great abilities but also without any input/output/depth adjustments. But the sound is great if you want a track really characterized. Would be cool if someone could improve this JSFX to give a bit more flexibility.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...4&postcount=10
Old 01-13-2019, 08:03 PM   #14
Tubeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
Why do you people suggest something what isn't requested? TubeGuy isn't retarded or an alien of a far galaxy.
Thanks for setting that straight.
I'm not new to this, been recording for years but think some respondents just got my question wrong.
Why I only used Reaper plugins? I wanted to see how good they are. I have stacks of other plugins I can reach for. But I wanted to see if all Reaper plugins mix is possible for my style of music. I find the Reacomp, ReaEQ and Reagate outstanding plugins but FX just don't suit me.
Delay, reverb and saturation will have to be either 3th party plugin or hardware as I normally use. So at least in my case, I can't do full mix using only Reaper plugins.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:15 PM   #15
Not_Here

Quote:
Thanks for setting that straight.
I'm not new to this, been recording for years but think some respondents just got my question wrong.
Why I only used Reaper plugins? I wanted to see how good they are. I have stacks of other plugins I can reach for. But I wanted to see if all Reaper plugins mix is possible for my style of music. I find the Reacomp, ReaEQ and Reagate outstanding plugins but FX just don't suit me.
Delay, reverb and saturation will have to be either 3th party plugin or hardware as I normally use. So at least in my case, I can't do full mix using only Reaper plugins.
I have pretty much come to this conclusion also.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:43 PM   #16
citizenkeith

Here's one called Analog Sum. I haven't tried it yet. Link is to the latest version:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...4&postcount=10
citizenkeith is online now   Reply With Quote