Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 08-09-2017, 04:11 PM   #81
Bjorn218
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Maybe you are in luck, they are in the process of adding firewire support to ALSA itself, that means no need for ffado anymore. If I understand correctly the snd-dice module ought to work in later kernels. See: https://github.com/takaswie/snd-firewire-improve

AFAIK, a TI fw interface is a good idea for DICE I/II chipset cards.
I will look into that. Thanks. Not ready to make the jump from Windows quite yet. It seems the main Focusrite FireWire interfaces that are problematic are the Saffire Pro24, Pro24DSP, and Pro 40. The Pro 14 and 26 are supported. Interesting is that all share the same chipsets apparently. Not sure why the Pro 26 is supported but models directly above and below are not. Typical computer hardware issues. That make absolutely zero sense. Saying that though, I found a website after my earlier post this morning where a guy had a step by step tutorial on getting a Saffire Pro 40 working tht was not as detailed and requiring script writing proficiency that is above my head. When I get home tonight I will post the link for others. If this guy can get a Pro 40 running which is supposed to be the main objective interface to tackle from Focusrite where I can easily understand his tutorial where the more hard core and actually help develop Ffado script writers were impossibly cryptic would be something to get you guys opinion on
Bjorn218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:57 PM   #82
cern.th.skei

maybe a little bit off-topic, but:

now that the linux native version of reaper is progressing rapidly, is there any plans to compile the reaplugs pack for linux? especially the reajs wrapper.. i totally understand if it's not a priority at the moment, but it would open up a ton of possibilities!

- tor-helge
Old 08-10-2017, 11:00 PM   #83
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by cern.th.skei View Post
now that the linux native version of reaper is progressing rapidly, is there any plans to compile the reaplugs pack for linux? especially the reajs wrapper.. i totally understand if it's not a priority at the moment, but it would open up a ton of possibilities!
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, but reaplugs have been native on linux for a good while now, and the release includes all the standard JS effects, etc.

?
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:24 PM   #84
cern.th.skei

i don't mean the internal reaper versions, but the standalone vst plugins, to use in other hosts..
- tor-helge
Old 08-10-2017, 11:43 PM   #85
clepsydrae

Quote:
i don't mean the internal reaper versions, but the standalone vst plugins, to use in other hosts..
- tor-helge
Ah, I see.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:48 AM   #86
jiff 41

Quote:
- tor-helge
There's the Reaplugs pack to D/L as a separate?

Attachment 31616

Last edited by jiff 41; 12-07-2018 at 11:53 PM.
jiff 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:50 AM   #87
cern.th.skei

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiff 41 View Post
There's the Reaplugs pack to D/L as a separate?

Attachment 31616
these are the windows versions..
i was asking for (native) linux versions

- tor-helge
Old 08-11-2017, 05:51 AM   #88
citizenkeith

Quote:
maybe a little bit off-topic, but:

- tor-helge
I'm still waiting for macOS versions! Maybe you can chime in here and vote for macOS versions, and also ask for Linux too? https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=123325
citizenkeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:30 PM   #89
clepsydrae

Default MIDI quantize issue?

Hey Justin -- a bug (?) with quantizing, posted here because it's possibly linux-derived: I created a midi file in linux reaper that quantizing doesn't seem to work on (at least when quantizing to a swing grid.)

If I open the attached RPP, open the midi item in the piano roll, set grid to 50% swing, and hit Q, quantizing to 1/8th notes moves some of the notes incorrectly (a measure or two away, and clusters them together, etc.)

This behavior happens in linux or windows, but the RPP was made in linux reaper. If you have trouble seeing it with the demo RPP, let me know and I'll work harder to come up with licecap/steps/etc.

If I glue the midi item first, the problem goes away.

It's possible that the problem notes were dragged from their original locations, in case that aids in the debugging theories. [Edit: also, I didn't do any quantizing in Linux (or Windows) until this point. And this is on the latest pre from lol, x64]

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: rpp quantizebug.rpp (3.9 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by clepsydrae; 08-13-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:32 PM   #90
avoca

Hi,

When I have the preference 'Project->Prompt to save on new project' set, I get a crash and the following message:

(reaper5:2150): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_raise: assertion 'GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

I can get back 'in' to Reaper by running:
reaper5 -saveas test.rpp
where I can unset the preference again

avoca
avoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:37 PM   #91
MrHaroldA

I installed Drumgizmo 0.9.14 as VST, loaded a kit and created a small loop to start mixing it, I noticed that the first notes of a loop are almost never played. Only once in many loops, Reaper will hit that crash again

Here's a video of the missing hits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDmyQfVaXEI

I haven't tried this in Windows yet.
MrHaroldA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:39 AM   #92
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoca View Post
Hi,

When I have the preference 'Project->Prompt to save on new project' set, I get a crash and the following message:

(reaper5:2150): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_raise: assertion 'GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

I can get back 'in' to Reaper by running:
reaper5 -saveas test.rpp
where I can unset the preference again

avoca
Thanks, duplicated!

Edit: pushed fixes to libSwell on github, or you can wait for the next build.

Last edited by Justin; 08-19-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:43 PM   #93
avoca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Thanks, duplicated!

Edit: pushed fixes to libSwell on github, or you can wait for the next build.
Excellent, it works now with a fresh build of libSwell. Thanks!
avoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #94
brainwreck

What display setups is everyone using for Reaper/Linux? I'm interested in running a 24" 4k display @ 2.0 scaling for an effective 1080 working space (or maybe a pair). Of course I would rather have a higher effective working space (especially vertically), but my main interest in 4k is text clarity in a virtual terminal and web browser without major gui scaling headaches for Reaper and other native linux applications.

I'm currently running a 25" @ 2560x1440, and I hate what the pixel pitch does to text, even at 1.0 scaling. Text edges look fuzzy to me and bugs out my eyes' ability to focus, no matter what font size I use. Taking some photos at the subpixel level confirms the fuzzy edges on text. I'm reading here and there that some people have the same experience with the 27" version of this monitor, so it may be monitor specific.

Just throwing out some feelers to see what is working for other people.

Last edited by brainwreck; 08-21-2017 at 11:52 AM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:23 PM   #95
clepsydrae

Just curious if anyone is able to reproduce the bug (or my confusion) from post #89, above?
Old 08-25-2017, 10:53 AM   #96
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Just curious if anyone is able to reproduce the bug (or my confusion) from post #89, above?
It seems to be working ok here, but it is possible that I have some misunderstanding of the problem. I set swing to 50%, moused in a bunch of notes near grid lines (with snapping off), selected all notes, and quantized to the grid. Everything aligned with the grid, including at swing points, with no notes jumping away to other measures or clustering in any way.

Last edited by brainwreck; 08-25-2017 at 10:58 AM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #97
brainwreck

All the display scaling stuff is kind of a pain. I think I'm sticking with an old 1920x1200 24" display. Text is big with a font size of 10, fitting 3 full pages side by side (2 pdf pages + text editor), and I can see 16 tracks in Reaper (about the limit of what I ever use) + the master in the arrange view, all from a distance. Works for me. Yay for old tech.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:24 PM   #98
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
It seems to be working ok here, but it is possible that I have some misunderstanding of the problem. I set swing to 50%, moused in a bunch of notes near grid lines (with snapping off), selected all notes, and quantized to the grid. Everything aligned with the grid, including at swing points, with no notes jumping away to other measures or clustering in any way.
Thanks! Do you mind trying with the demo project I attached?
Old 08-25-2017, 12:30 PM   #99
brainwreck

Quote:
Thanks! Do you mind trying with the demo project I attached?
I'll have to do it when I get home tonight. But yea, I'll try it.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:26 PM   #100
brainwreck

clepsydrae, I'm confirming that it happens here.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:36 PM   #101
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
clepsydrae, I'm confirming that it happens here.
Thanks! Justin -- if there's anything else I can provide or explain besides the RPP above, let me know and I can look more at it. I figured the demo RPP might hint at what went wrong.

And apologies in advance if I have misunderstood something about quantizing, etc.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:59 AM   #102
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks! Justin -- if there's anything else I can provide or explain besides the RPP above, let me know and I can look more at it. I figured the demo RPP might hint at what went wrong.

And apologies in advance if I have misunderstood something about quantizing, etc.
Edit: I see, the unquantized values differ greatly from the quantized values. Can you reproduce this project from scratch (e.g. steps on linux to produce it)? Simply having a project in this state isn't enough to go on (as it is ultimately a relatively valid state), need some way to get there to narrow it down.

If you figure out these steps, see if you can do the same on Windows/macOS. If so, post in the BR forum

Last edited by Justin; 08-26-2017 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:07 AM   #103
wastee

Default Can Reaper display Chinese?

Reaper can not display Chinese. When I paste Chinese in Reaper, i get squares. And i can't type Chinese in reaper using Fcitx. It just can't swich to Fcitx in Reaper

Maybe i missing something in setup?
wastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:22 AM   #104
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastee View Post
Reaper can not display Chinese. When I paste Chinese in Reaper, i get squares. And i can't type Chinese in reaper using Fcitx. It just can't swich to Fcitx in Reaper

Maybe i missing something in setup?
You probably have to choose a default font that supports those characters. The easiest way to do this is to look for the [.swell] section in your reaper.ini and change the font mapper lines...
Old 08-26-2017, 09:58 AM   #105
clepsydrae

Quote:
Can you reproduce this project from scratch (e.g. steps on linux to produce it)?
I'll try, thanks!
Old 08-26-2017, 10:39 PM   #106
wastee

Quote:
You probably have to choose a default font that supports those characters. The easiest way to do this is to look for the [.swell] section in your reaper.ini and change the font mapper lines...
Thanks. "ft_font_fallback" is the font mapper line? I add a font name in this line. But seems no change.

In case I changed the wrong name of the line or font name.

changes: ft_font_fallback=NotoSans

--------------------------------

And i still can't use my input method framework (Fcitx:https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/fcitx) in reaper.
I can use Fcitx in wine, chrome etc.

Last edited by wastee; 08-28-2017 at 12:44 AM.
wastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:59 AM   #107
MrHaroldA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHaroldA View Post
I installed Drumgizmo 0.9.14 as VST, loaded a kit and created a small loop to start mixing it, I noticed that the first notes of a loop are almost never played. Only once in many loops, Reaper will hit that crash again

Here's a video of the missing hits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDmyQfVaXEI

I haven't tried this in Windows yet.
I've tested the same plugin, but the LV2 version of it in Ardour, and it performs really well.

I kinda lost track of the official statement of Reaper supporting LV2, or even LADSPA. Ardour and Audacity support those plugins on all platforms, IIRC.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:30 AM   #108
Jack Winter

Quote:
I've tested the same plugin, but the LV2 version of it in Ardour, and it performs really well.

I kinda lost track of the official statement of Reaper supporting LV2, or even LADSPA. Ardour and Audacity support those plugins on all platforms, IIRC.
There is no official LV2 support in reaper for linux (yet).

You can try https://github.com/x42/lv2vst, which seems to work quite well, but can't display all LV2 GUIs. It will however display the avldrums GUI.

I'm not a midi user, but afaik this might actually be a reaper issue that manifests in windows too (not consistently playing the first midi note). But I might also be wrong making that statement...
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)

Last edited by Jack Winter; 08-28-2017 at 02:39 AM.
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:43 AM   #109
MrHaroldA

Quote:
There is no official LV2 support in reaper for linux (yet).
LV2 can be used on all platforms, it's definitely not Linux only.

Quote:
You can try https://github.com/x42/lv2vst, which seems to work quite well, but can't display all LV2 GUIs. It will however display the avldrums GUI.
Cool! I'll check that out asap!

Quote:
I'm not a midi user, but afaik this might actually be a reaper issue that manifests in windows too (not consistently playing the first midi note). But I might also be wrong making that statement...
I suspect the VST port of DrumGizmo to play up. If I loop that four bars like 100x, DrumGizmo crashes and the buffer underrun counter starts to count to infinity, and beyond
Old 08-28-2017, 02:58 AM   #110
Jack Winter

Quote:
LV2 can be used on all platforms, it's definitely not Linux only.
Yes, what I meant is that it's not available in reaper on any platform
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 09-01-2017, 01:27 AM   #111
jprieto

Default This works?

I tried this but audio was choppy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpnfg-urzR0

but many swear that it works

he did not expand on step 5 though
jprieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:04 AM   #112
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprieto View Post
I tried this but audio was choppy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpnfg-urzR0

but many swear that it works

he did not expand on step 5 though
This deals with installing the windows version of reaper, nowdays there is a native linux version available that imo is a lot better, except for maybe plugin support. It's still a prerelease version, thus a work in progress.

The good thing is that by following the video a few basic tasks have been taken care of, and kxstudio normally improves the audio experience on debian distros!

I'm sorry that I can't offer much help about the specifics of debian/kxstudio, as I use a different distro myself, something that could be seen analogous to a different but closely related operating system. I'd also prefer if we could keep this thread focused on reaper and not on how to configure linux distros, but a good and friendly place to get help with linux audio is: https://linuxmusicians.com

My recommendation would be to stay with the above, and then to install the linux version of reaper, as I explained before. Download the pre release tarball and unpack it.

That said choppy/crackling audio is normally due to too low buffering settings, and possibly a few other configuration issues. What kind of cpu/soundcard do you have? What settings did you use when starting jack from cadence?
Old 09-01-2017, 11:22 AM   #113
Jack Winter

Good news!

Cockos just uploaded a 32 bit version to landoleet!
Old 09-01-2017, 07:32 PM   #114
Justin
Administrator

We're also going to move to a newer gcc version (6.3) for the builds, I think, which means some older linux distributions will no longer work. e.g. Debian requires stretch, Ubuntu 16.04+ (14.04 is no good, at least, in between I'm not sure).
Old 09-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #115
4duhwinnn

Regarding 32 bit linux reaper, people tend to forget,
or new vst users who are unfamiliar with the various histories,
that some of the really great sound designers and dsp coders
were pushing the envelope in 32bit, and quite a few plugin experiments
were successfully pulled off, by creating plugins with
synthedit/synthmaster, that are as useful and delightful
now, as they were in the days when sound was only _half_ as good
as 64 bit sound.

Some of these oldies will work better in a 32 bit system,
sans any bridging, so linux Reaper in 32 bit will be
most welcome, and worthy of it's own ssd.
Thankyou! Hope it is not difficult to maintain.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:54 AM   #116
Jack Winter

It might even shake out bugs. Don't think maintaining it is a bother, as it will be automatically built with all the other builds.

Could also be useful for old laptops or maybe 32b intel chromebooks.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:03 AM   #117
shpitz

I tried Reaper 550rc21 in kxstudio and noticed that the dsp load in jack is too high when loading plugins in reaper.

I loaded 5 u-he's synths (linux version) in reaper. The 5 synths were playing at the same time. The dsp usage in jack moved between 50% - 74% with alot of xruns. When loading the 5 plugins in carla (as standalone outside of reaper) and routing the midi from reaper to the 5 carla instances the dsp usage was 38% without xruns.

Another weird behavior I noticed is when connecting guitarix to reaper's input. The dsp load is too high. When guitarix is connected straight to the system output it doesn't consume extra cpu usage.
shpitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:00 PM   #118
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpitz View Post
I tried Reaper 550rc21 in kxstudio and noticed that the dsp load in jack is too high when loading plugins in reaper.

I loaded 5 u-he's synths (linux version) in reaper. The 5 synths were playing at the same time. The dsp usage in jack moved between 50% - 74% with alot of xruns. When loading the 5 plugins in carla (as standalone outside of reaper) and routing the midi from reaper to the 5 carla instances the dsp usage was 38% without xruns.

Another weird behavior I noticed is when connecting guitarix to reaper's input. The dsp load is too high. When guitarix is connected straight to the system output it doesn't consume extra cpu usage.
I don't have the tools to test this very well right now, nor am I really a midi user. I could confirm the first one by importing 5 midi files, recarm the tracks, start playback and insert a u-he vsti on each track. rt cpu (jack dsp) just keeps growing with each plugin.

When I disable recarm, rt cpu falls to low vaues. Test done at 1024/2/44k1.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:40 PM   #119
4duhwinnn

Quote:

All that seems pretty normal to me, and within expected bounds
of prerelease software. Some U-he synths have multi-core support,
and a range selection for cpu usage, and individual presets
in any one synth can seriously maximize the cpu use, while others use very little.
"5 u-he synths" doesn't really provide any clues to the wide range of
possible cpu loads. A daw should use more cpu when an input is loaded,
whereas the system output is just a 'dumb' connection.
You might doublecheck that all the session, alsa, and jackd settings
are in agreement, no 44100 Vs 48000 or such anywhere.
Cheers

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 09-06-2017 at 12:12 AM.
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:58 AM   #120
Jack Winter

Quote:

I assume that the tracks containing the u-he synths were recarmed? If so that disables anticipative fx processing. I'm also not sure what is normal when using 5 of them live at the same time. They are somewhat cpu hogs depending on the quality settings. Maybe rec arm only one at a time for the time being. But of course, seeing that reaper is still in the alpha/beta stage it's possible that some bugs lurk.

I did try a lot of other lvstis in the same circumstance, and the dsp load was a lot more reasonable, so it's also possible that the problem (if any) is on the u-he side, after all it's also in beta testing..

It would also be interesting to have a sample midi file to use, as cpu and dsp load seems to depend on how much the synths have to work. The soundcard settings (like buffer size, etc) would also be of interest!