Old 09-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #1
michael diemer
Human being with feelings

Default Plugins Crashing Reaper

I'm trying to use some older Sonar plugins I really like. I am able to load and use the LP64 Compressor and the Tube Leveler. But the LP64 EQ is causing crashes. Also, the Kjaerhus Vintage Channel is causing crashes. Any tricks to get these to work? Otherwise I have to export my work to Sonar for mastering. Which is fine, but it would be nice to do it all in Reaper. And I really like these plugins, so at least for now I want to try and make them work (in other words, no need to recommend alternatives at this time).
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:58 PM   #2
michael diemer

Nothing? Oh well...I did a little checking, and since my version of Sonar is old (8.5.3), the plugins are old, and have not benefited from updates in later versions of Sonar. They worked in an earlier version of Reaper (can't remember which), but I guess at this point they are just too outdated. A shame, they are great plugins, and have some great presets. But at least I can still use them in Sonar.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:49 AM   #3
ivansc

If memory serves, for those older plugs to work you have to have Sonar installed as well. My current Sonar pro install has the later versions of the vst plugs and they all work in reaper. Dx not so much...
Old 09-09-2017, 09:42 AM   #4
michael diemer

I do have Sonar installed. I heard also that some folks have found that opening it first in sonar, then opening it in Reaper, sometimes works, but not in this case.

I am experimenting with some other plugins. I'm going to buy Spline LP EQ. I've been fooling with the free version, and of all the ones I tried it is closest to the Sonar plugin. I should be able to tweak it and get very close to the effect I had with the Sonar plug.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:54 AM   #5
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
Nothing? Oh well...I did a little checking, and since my version of Sonar is old (8.5.3).
I didnt know there ever was an 8.5.3 - I gave up at 8.5.2 when cake turned it into Sonar X3 or whatever. Thought that was the last 8.5.x version.

which plugs are you wanting to use?

I am still using everything but the super channel (forget the real name) which wont work in anything but Sonar because it isn't really a plugin.
Even had that TTS1 (or whatever) GM synth working in Reaper till I found something better.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:23 PM   #6
michael diemer

It may be that the points refer to patches. There were two Producer patches, so if you had both of them, you had 8.5.3? just speculating. The plugins I miss are the LP-64 EQ, which had a great preset, "Subtle analog Warmth," and the Kjaerhus Vintage channel, which had a preset called "Gentle M-S Mastering." (I wouldn't mind getting the TTS-1 working, as it has the best Tuba I've ever heard. Probably not likely to happen as Reaper of course continues to update, while TTS-1 does not). The EQ is the biggie, though. Hopefully the Spline EQ plug will give me the same sound. I plan on opening it in Sonar, alongside the LP EQ, and tweaking it until I can't tell any difference between them.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:44 AM   #7
michael diemer

Well, I did get the full version of Spline. I am getting good results. It does have a very similar sound to the LP-64 EQ from Sonar. So it was worth the $29.00. It works fine in Reaper. So at least I "have" one of the plugins I miss the most. The other, Vintage Channel, I will probably have to live without. Which I'm sure I could do. Hopefully, the other two from Sonar that currently work in Reaper (LP-Compressor and Tube Leveler) will continue to do so. Most people are probably not familiar with these plugins, as they were replaced by others after 8.5, but they were really good, at least for my purposes.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:49 AM   #8
SoulOne82

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
I'm trying to use some older Sonar plugins I really like. I am able to load and use the LP64 Compressor and the Tube Leveler. But the LP64 EQ is causing crashes. Also, the Kjaerhus Vintage Channel is causing crashes. Any tricks to get these to work? Otherwise I have to export my work to Sonar for mastering. Which is fine, but it would be nice to do it all in Reaper. And I really like these plugins, so at least for now I want to try and make them work (in other words, no need to recommend alternatives at this time).
Did you already try running them as separate or dedicated processes?

Last edited by SoulOne82; 09-11-2017 at 10:11 AM.
SoulOne82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:06 PM   #9
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOne82 View Post
Did you already try running them as separate or dedicated processes?
No, I did not. I don't really know what that means. I thought if you couldn't open it in Reaper, what point is there running it as a separate process? But I'll try it and see what happens.

Edit: Just tried it. Both separate and dedicated processes gave same result, namely I first got a message that Reaper had crashed, but it really didn't. I closed the message and soon it settled down. It showed the LP-64 EQ in the master track, but when I open it it is like a dummy. Can't do anything with it. It does have the preset option, but there are no presets when you click it. But I'm wondering if that means I could find the preset on my computer and load it?

Last edited by michael diemer; 09-11-2017 at 02:36 PM.