Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 01-27-2007, 03:33 PM   #1
Till
Human being with feelings

Default 1.71 - crackling a.k.a. audio slideshow

Interestingly since the last update which was supposed to fix amd dual core issues the performance on my machine has gone way down. projects that ran smoothely before now crackle like hell. when i increase the buffer the crackling gets less but even at the maximum buffer size (2048spls~47ms@44,1) it doesnt entirely go away...

this also applies to the dual core usage. at low buffer size only one core is used and at max b.s. the second core is used abit.

unfortunately now (as opposed to the previous versions) i can't fix this by arming a channel for record any more...

"Recording is God's way of telling you that you suck." - Bob Brozman

My Jesusonic FX - Xenakios' Extension

REAPER FR Tracker - what is that?

The "How Stuff works in REAPER": video blog
Till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 05:41 PM   #2
Dog Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Till View Post
Interestingly since the last update which was supposed to fix amd dual core issues the performance on my machine has gone way down. projects that ran smoothely before now crackle like hell. when i increase the buffer the crackling gets less but even at the maximum buffer size (2048spls~47ms@44,1) it doesnt entirely go away...

this also applies to the dual core usage. at low buffer size only one core is used and at max b.s. the second core is used abit.

unfortunately now (as opposed to the previous versions) i can't fix this by arming a channel for record any more...
Sounds very much like what I'm experiencing (on an Intel, though).

What version were you running before? Maybe I should try to roll back, to see what happens...are the old versions up for download somewhere?

Edit: found them
Dog Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:22 PM   #3
Dog Boots

Ok, I just took a trip down the history of Reaper, to see if there was any difference in the way it handles the project I'm currently working on (as described in the UAD-thread).

Not much difference to be seen, but one thing I did notice was how much quicker the new versions are (1.71 and 1.70) at loading the project, than the older versions.

I also tested the problem of ReaSynth scrambling its audio while being played live with transport halted. It seems to be Amplitube2, that it really doesn't like - as soon as the 2 instances of that plug are turned off, everything works fine. Also, the scrambling begins from 1-5 seconds of playing after stopping playback.

(I'm just posting all this in case Justin reads it, and can make any use of it. Justin: You're always incredibly helpful, but this project is only for testing Reaper, so don't waste time answering this post. I just hope it can be of any use. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to better help diagnose some of the issues)
Old 01-28-2007, 06:28 AM   #4
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Till View Post

have you rebooted your pc yet by any chance? You could try this.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:00 AM   #5
Dog Boots

Till, thanks for the "audio slideshow" - cracks me up a little every time!