Old 12-06-2017, 04:55 PM   #1
guitarwiz1
Human being with feelings

Default A/I Inserts?

I have a Behringer UMC204HD.
On the back I have 2 - 1/4" plug-in's labeled insert 1 & 2.

What are they actually for? Are they like an effects loop, and how do I use them in Reaper?

I have a guitar rack filled with a Lexicon MPX200 a 15 band Stereo EQ and a Line 6 POD PRO and would like to put them to use in my recordings.

My Fender Mustang pretty much has all the amp models and effects I need, but I really like a lot of the delays from the MPX200.
Custom Built AMD FX 6300, Windows 10 Home, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 MB, WD Blue 1TB HD. NVIDIA GTX 750ti, 16 gig crucial ballistix sport, Behringer UMC204HD, Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro, Ibanez RG 250 DX, Fender Mustang III, Alesis Nitro 8pc. Drum Kit.
guitarwiz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:30 PM   #2
ashcat_lt

They are inserts, which is kind of like an effects loop on a guitar amp in that it is meant to interrupt the signal path, send it out to something and then return back to continue the path. I can't find a manual for that unit (didn't try too hard ), but I'd guess that it comes after the gain knob and before the ADC.

Usually, you'd plug a TRS>Dual TS "insert" cable, which is really the same thing as a stereo breakout cable where the T of the TRS goes to the T of one TS, with the R going to the T of the other (and the S shared by all three). The one connected to the R should be the send and the other is the return.

I think most commonly you'd use this for something like an outboard compressor that you wanted to apply on the way in. You'd connect your mic or other source to the input as normal, then it would go out the R to the compressor's input, from it's output to the T, and then on to ADC. You can, of course, use any processor (or chain thereof) there that you want.

It really has nothing to do with Reaper itself. It is used to apply external processing before the signal gets to Reaper.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:01 AM   #3
guitarwiz1

Thanks for the reply.

All as the manual says is that it has two inserts for equipment, and no explanation on how to use it.

Now that I have a better understanding as to what it's actually for...I think I'll just keep it all routed through my amp.

Thanks again.
Custom Built AMD FX 6300, Windows 10 Home, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 MB, WD Blue 1TB HD. NVIDIA GTX 750ti, 16 gig crucial ballistix sport, Behringer UMC204HD, Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro, Ibanez RG 250 DX, Fender Mustang III, Alesis Nitro 8pc. Drum Kit.
guitarwiz1 is offline   Reply With Quote