Old 12-08-2011, 03:23 AM   #1
sonicbreeze
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper for Android - Any Plans?

It will be so cool to use a cool app on Android platform for portability. Any plans?
sonicbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:58 AM   #2
Xenakios

Hopefully no plans at all. Cockos doesn't need yet another platform to support.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:15 AM   #3
adimatis

Does anyone care to explain to me, old conservative mind, why would be a "mobile" DAW application such a good thing? Namely, on Android devices?

I fail to see why anyone would even try to play, record, mix, master on an Ipad or tablet PC, and on touch screen...

But I am open to understand...
Old 12-08-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
SiroVai

positions to dream...why not REAPER 2.x in AmigaOS4.1? Dream is free!
SiroVai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:41 AM   #5
Evan

I would love a sequencer on a tablet. I am most productive when I am away from computers, keyboards and mice. A tablet can approximate true portable sequencer and composition tool, without getting in the way too much.

And given that processing power for tablet advances at incredible rates, well it's not too hard to predict the future, is it?

Unfortunately, Android is currently doomed in this area. I was shocked to find out that Android cannot do low-latency audio. Apple's iPad can.... Android cannot. Case closed for Android. Well done Google!

More info here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=331703
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #6
Evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimatis View Post
I fail to see why anyone would even try to play, record, mix, master on an Ipad or tablet PC, and on touch screen...
Apparently you can connect USB MIDI controllers and audio interfaces on the ipad.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:50 AM   #7
adimatis

So, how is all that much different than a snall laptop or a notebook?...
Old 12-08-2011, 07:08 AM   #8
roygbiv

the touch screen interface, which forces software developers to make interacting with the device simple and elegant, like a hardware device (a well designed one, anyway).

(disclaimer - I don't yet have an iPad, but am thinking of getting one)
roygbiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:18 AM   #9
Evan

Quote:
1) Very different interface, touch screen not available on laptops. You can do cool stuff with touch screens that you cannot do with a keyboard and a mouse. (like control several things at once, with your fingers)

2) Weight + Portability. Tablets are around the 600g mark, small laptops start at around double that weight.

3) Battery life. Tablets gravitate towards 10hours of in a single charge.

4) Lighter, simpler OS. Not much to get in the way.

5) Noisless... no fans, no heat.

A tablet doesn't have to suit your needs, but it's very different than a laptop, to guarantee it suits some people's needs.

Plus, netbook and small notebook sales are declining fast. And tablet sales are rising equally fast. That's a guarantee that people rather buy a tablet than a small notebook. There will be major advances in tablets in the coming years, even Microsoft is jumping on this.

Regular notebooks are now getting on the thin-and-light trend (they're called ultrabooks), but they are starting from the higher $1000+ price points. You can therefore expect tablets and similar devices to dominate the low end of portable computing hardware.

Last edited by Evan; 12-08-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:41 AM   #10
pixelcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
1) Very different interface, touch screen not available on laptops. You can do cool stuff with touch screens that you cannot do with a keyboard and a mouse. (like control several things at once, with your fingers)

2) Weight + Portability. Tablets are around the 600g mark, small laptops start at around double that weight.

A tablet doesn't have to suit your needs, but it's very different than a laptop, to guarantee it suits some people's needs.

Plus, netbook and small notebook sales are declining fast. And tablet sales are rising equally fast. That's a guarantee that people rather buy a tablet than a small notebook. There will be major advances in tablets in the coming years, even Microsoft is jumping on this.

Regular notebooks are now getting on the thin-and-light trend (they're called ultrabooks), but they are starting from the higher $1000+ price points. You can therefore expect tablets and similar devices to dominate the low end of portable computing hardware.
You missed the biggest difference. Completely different architecture, PC and MACs run off x86 while mobile devices use ARM. The codebases are also completely different the current code set has zero portability to any mobile device.

Ideally, Cockos would release some sort of control interface for iOS and android. But that may be pointless considering the options we have now on iOS.
pixelcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #11
Thethinker

As someone who's new to Reaper this year, but has been an avid Android user for a while (Mobile and, fairly recently, tablet), I'm not sure I personally would find a mobile-OS DAW that useful. I appreciate it's very much horses for courses, but I like the discipline of sitting at the desk, firing up the PC and working that way. I'm pretty sure though that really functional DAWs for tablets will happen.

What I do find interesting is the potential to use mobile devices as control surfaces, although my attempts so far with a Motorola Xoom and the TouchDaw app (forgive me if I've got the app name round there) have been pretty fruitless, but that's more about the way the tablet and PC connect and get recognised by the DAW than application capability.

For the moment though, if I get creative out and about I use a mobile device to catch my thoughts, either written or simply voice recordings. God forbid anyone ever hears those strangely hummed things I've recorded out and about though!

The Thinker
Thethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #12
adimatis

Well, yes, I guess there is an interest and justification for such type of device. To me, a tablet will be very suitable for what it is, internet, communication, facebook, pictures, listen to music, maybe a movie when travelling...

When I try to get things done, with Reaper for example, I don't think I could get much done with the 10 inches screen...
Old 12-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #13
Renan L.B

Here http://www.humatic.de/htools/touchdaw/

This is an application for Android called TouchDAW. You can use it as a Control Surface and MIDI controller and has support for a large numnber of DAWs: Cubase / Nuendo, Live, Logic, Pro Tools, Sonar, FL Studio, Reason, REAPER, Studio One, Samplitude, SAWStudio and Digital Performer. With REAPER the app developer recomends using Klinke's MCU 0.8 extension with it, here's an quote from the manual:

"Windows users may want to install the MCU_Klinke extension from stash.reaper.fm which overcomes some of the severe limitations with the built-in MCU support in Reaper (also see the 1.2. release notes and the manual on TouchDAW's main screen for this)"

The app is at version 1.3 now but still is best to use Klinke's extension with it.

It has different interfaces: one for smartphones and a bigger one for tablets.

i'm having a hard time using/switching/assigning plugin parameters with it though it's kinda unstable for that but for common channel control duties i guess it works (not sure, i'm still diving in on it.)
Renan L.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #14
jefffoley

A little off topic.

I have the Ipad2. For $4.99, you can get Garageband, which is fairly cool.
As a windows user, its a bit frustrating about the limitations of getting things back into the PC.

I also find myself quickly seeing the limitations on the Ipad.

Apple did a nice job with GB, but is it really worth the resources for Cockos to do this on another platform?
jefffoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #15
sonicbreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post

Nicely summed up Evan. Sooner or later Android OS Latency issue will be addressed. Seeing the popularity of Tabs, this type of requests will crop in more and more. iOS seeing little better days in this department now, FL Studio, Energy XT and many others already jumped the bandwagon.

Considering the Philosophy, Lightness and Functionality of Reaper, Android will be more suitable market for Cockos in my very humble opnion.
sonicbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #16
Evan

Quote:
When I try to get things done, with Reaper for example, I don't think I could get much done with the 10 inches screen...
That's because the Reaper interface is not designed for a tablet. People used to get a lot of things done, several years ago, on much smaller screens.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:24 AM   #17
Ruxton

These things work on the iPad/iPhone because the hardware/software stack has a SOLID real time audio chain. On android, this is not the case; realtime audio on android is terrible.

Cockos have enough to do keeping reaper running well on OSX/Windows and I'm sure most of us could rattle of a list of 5 things we'd like to see happen in Reaper. So it doesn't really make sense to even entertain the idea of creating ReaperDroid or even iReaper.
Ruxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:34 AM   #18
ugh

Quote:
I am afraid you will only understand after having used an iPad
I wasn`t a believer first as well, but now I have it with me 24/7, we have become unseperable

Everyone looking for a nice DAW for the iPad, Meteor is quite cool for example.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/meteo...417726727?mt=8
ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:50 AM   #19
godly

I understand this question
It's because it would be intresting to be able to make music on your way. (to or from work, holiday, party, ... ;-)
Working with reaper is addictable you know ;-)
godly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:17 PM   #20
danbb

Any news on this? I'm about to buy FL Studio for android since there's no Reaper
danbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:54 PM   #21
sostenuto

OMG !! Android ... NO! plz NO!
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:41 PM   #22
joelsampson

No Reaper. But here are two DAWs that I like for Android:

Caustic - cheap and a lot of cool features.
FL Mobile - A good GUI and easier to use.

On my new Moto X Pure and Samsung 10" tablet there is very little latency. Older, especially cheap, Androids do have very high latency. There is a variety of other music apps I find useful.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:28 AM   #23
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiroVai View Post
positions to dream...why not REAPER 2.x in AmigaOS4.1? Dream is free!
Unfortunately machines that run ADos 4.1 aren`t.
I made the decision to dump all my Amiga stuff a few years back because it looked like after 3.9 there was not going to be much more development based on the original A1200/4000 platforms.
Ali and his slimy cohort have a lot to answer for, raping and pillaging the company till there was nothing left to support a great machine and a great OS.

rant over.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:57 AM   #24
PeeWee

Give "Audio Evolution" a try. I have managed to record all 32 Channels of a Behringer X32, which was running as a class compilant audio interface some weeks ago.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:53 PM   #25
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Give "Audio Evolution" a try. I have managed to record all 32 Channels of a Behringer X32, which was running as a class compilant audio interface some weeks ago.
+1. I've had that on my Samsung S6 and have used it with my RME Fireface UFX to record multiple channels simultaneously with very low latency. I was even able to do a 5.1 surround mix directly from the app.
They wrote their own audio and MIDI drivers for the app and they work really well.

Exporting the files to use in REAPER also worked flawlessly.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:56 PM   #26
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostenuto View Post
OMG !! Android ... NO! plz NO!
Seconded.
Or Apple, or anything else portable and compromised.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:27 PM   #27
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Seconded.
Or Apple, or anything else portable and compromised.
As far as REAPER is concerned, I agree. Better they keep focus on Windows and Mac IMHO.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:42 AM   #28
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
As far as REAPER is concerned, I agree. Better they keep focus on Windows and Mac IMHO.
"Native" Linux (Desktop/Laptop (Intel 64 Bit CPU), not Portables (usually called "Android") would be great !. But here, of course "standard" (e.g commercial) VSTs (Windows or Mac) would be essential.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thethinker View Post
As someone who's new to Reaper this year, but has been an avid Android user for a while (Mobile and, fairly recently, tablet), I'm not sure I personally would find a mobile-OS DAW that useful. I appreciate it's very much horses for courses, but I like the discipline of sitting at the desk, firing up the PC and working that way. I'm pretty sure though that really functional DAWs for tablets will happen.

What I do find interesting is the potential to use mobile devices as control surfaces, although my attempts so far with a Motorola Xoom and the TouchDaw app (forgive me if I've got the app name round there) have been pretty fruitless, but that's more about the way the tablet and PC connect and get recognised by the DAW than application capability.

For the moment though, if I get creative out and about I use a mobile device to catch my thoughts, either written or simply voice recordings. God forbid anyone ever hears those strangely hummed things I've recorded out and about though!

The Thinker
I hear ya, sometimes tho an idea will strick while I'm in line at Walmart or something like that, I think FL Studio for Android (and others like it) are a good idea to have. A full fledged daw on a phone or tablet, not so much. Not for me anyway. Sequencer, Sampler, basic mixing options, heck yeah
4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsampson View Post
No Reaper. But here are two DAWs that I like for Android:

Caustic - cheap and a lot of cool features.
FL Mobile - A good GUI and easier to use.

On my new Moto X Pure and Samsung 10" tablet there is very little latency. Older, especially cheap, Androids do have very high latency. There is a variety of other music apps I find useful.
FL Studio +1
Caustic.... Still trying to figure that one out...
4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #31
martifingers

I regularly use a Soundcraft UI16 for live sound using a tablet or even a Smartphone. Check out this "interactive" demo to see what functionality can be implemented in Android (well essentially it's just using HTML so any OS that has a browser might suffice.)
http://www.soundcraft.com/ui-demo/mixer.html

So REAPER on Android? Maybe...
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote