Old 01-30-2015, 09:22 AM   #1
GaryG
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 56
Default Auto swell / Slow Gear effect?

Hi,

Has anyone ever written an auto-swell style effect or maybe something based on a Boss Slow Gear?

I guess it's simply an audio triggered enveloped controlling the volume? Looked at some other effects (compressors etc) but don't think my scripting skills are up to it. Yet.

Thanks.
GaryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:40 AM   #2
Jason Brian Merrill
Human being with feelings
 
Jason Brian Merrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northeastern PA, USA
Posts: 20,819
Default

the one in amplitube is great - haven't found anything as good in a standalone plug but would love to.
__________________
Beliefs do not require respect. People do.
Jason Brian Merrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:44 AM   #3
IXix
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: mcr:uk
Posts: 3,370
Default

How does it work? Does the response vary depending on how hard you play a note? What sort of parameters does it have? It's probably really simple to code.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:12 PM   #4
pakkuncung
Human being with feelings
 
pakkuncung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 91
Default

I haven't tried it yet.

But i guess it could be done simply by using JS:volume_pan with audio triggered scale inverted parameter modulation.
__________________
JRENG!
EHX
pakkuncung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:31 PM   #5
SaulT
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 765
Default

My initial thoughts would be something like this -


ADSR with desired attack speed

audio > thresh then trigger attack
audio < thresh then trigger decay

window of at least 5-20 ms, usually the point is to cut attack transients
SaulT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:15 PM   #6
GaryG
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
the one in amplitube is great - haven't found anything as good in a standalone plug but would love to.
Afraid I swing the other way, Guitar Rig not Amplitube user I can get the effect in GR (envelope & volume pedal) but was looking for a Reaper 'native' solution for when I'm dabbling on my tablet (not really up to running GR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXix View Post
How does it work? Does the response vary depending on how hard you play a note? What sort of parameters does it have? It's probably really simple to code.
The classic effect is just a threshold and attack which is why it's often emulated with a noise gate (if you have a noise gate with a long enough attack, most are too short). Though I've wondered if making the effect more responsive would be an improvement; hard picking comes through as normal whereas softer strumming triggers the effect. It probably is simple but beyond me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pakkuncung View Post
I haven't tried it yet.

But i guess it could be done simply by using JS:volume_pan with audio triggered scale inverted parameter modulation.
Not sure how you'd do that, you mean using Reapers ability to modulate one parameter from an audio source?


Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulT View Post
My initial thoughts would be something like this -


ADSR with desired attack speed

audio > thresh then trigger attack
audio < thresh then trigger decay

window of at least 5-20 ms, usually the point is to cut attack transients
I think that's it basically, maybe just an attack stage needed to swell the audio in. It can be left to decay on it's own, just reset the trigger when the audio goes below the threshold again.

Thanks all.
GaryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.