Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-10-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
hoozerob
Human being with feelings

Default Setup questions before I begin first session

I'm a new Reaper owner now and it'll be the first time delving into a DAW.
As far as gear, I have a Korg Kronos, Behringer x32 Producer, the Waves Soundgrid Impact server combo and my PC.
Everything has been a little complicated, but for the most part, everything is working as it should.
It's also my first time with all of this much gear although I've had my Kronos since they first came out. I can record what I do on that within itself. But it's time to progress.
I've got Reaper, after going round about what DAW to get and use. Seems like the way to go. but time to start.
I want to be able to use my Korg Kronos in Reaper, with all the individual programs and tracks in Combis that I make, so I can record and edit each individual track in a Combi within Reaper.
I currently have the Kronos connected to the system via cables to the XLR inputs of the X32. No MIDI connections yet. How will I connect the Kronos correctly to do what I'm wanting to do in Reaper? And how may it work with the Soundgrid system which contains it's Soundgrid Studio, Multi Rack , ect.,, so it all works together in Reaper?
I've got this far, and I'm making beautiful music with the whole system so far, but it's time to get it recorded and edited in Reaper. Then my next step will be the other main purpose of all of this, which is to record the drum kit with the system too. Help me Paleeze. Thank You! God Bless.
hoozerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #2
JohnnyMusic

Default Hello and Welcome

Hello,
Have you read the manuals of your gear to figure out all of your options?
I don't know your gear specifically,
But I have my yamaha synth (an older model) that I use as a midi controller to play vstis in reaper and record midi input. I have it connected to my motu audio interface via a midi cable. From there the midi is sent via the USB 2.0 on the interface to the computer (it looks like the behringer has a midi in and out with the 5 pin connector). Then you set up reaper for midi input and you should be ready to go. There are some videos on the reaper home page that show you how to set up reaper for this.
Another option is to connect your keyboard directly via usb and I think you can use the midi functions that way as well.(in that case you wouldn't need midi cables but could still record audio output from your keyboard through your mixer to reaper).
I don't record anything with the keyboard itself, so I wouldn't know how to transfer that midi data you have already recorded to reaper. One way to transfer songs or tracks that you have already recorded, would be to record the audio output from your keyboard to reaper if you want to use the keyboards sounds.
There is also a way to get midi tracks in reaper to access your keyboards sounds (in that case you need a second midi cable to send midi back to the keyboard from your interface).
You have options.It depends how you want to work and what you want to achieve.
You can record midi and edit it in reaper. You can record the keyboard sounds as audio (won't be able to edit the midi in reaper but can edit the wave file) or do both.
You can use the keyboard to play vstis in reaper, and again record that midi or audio output or both.
You can use your keyboard sounds to play midi files in reaper.
Don't know anything about soundgrid.
Good luck and have fun.
John

Last edited by JohnnyMusic; 07-10-2019 at 02:38 PM.
JohnnyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:02 AM   #3
Philbo King

Go through the 'Setting Up Shop' section of these videos. He'll get you going right.

http://www.kennymania.com/reaper-vid...MadK7pyIe0l8SQ
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote