Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS X

Old 05-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
AdamWathan
Human being with feelings

Default Creating custom installs like you can on Windows

Is there an easy way to create a custom install on OSX like you can with Windows? Basically I have a bunch of preferences, keymap, theme, etc. that I'm trying to share with a few other users and people who are new to Reaper, but copying each one of these files manually into their Reaper folder and replacing files and stuff is proving to be a long winded process with a lot of room for error if the user isn't super savvy when it comes to that sort of thing on their operating system.

I know with Windows I could just create a portable install and zip that whole folder and people would be good to go. Is there something I can do similar on OS X that will allow me to share my complete personal REAPER configuration with other users?
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
Shan

System/Library/CoreServices/Installer.app

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Installer_%28Mac_OS_X%29

I was ready to jump into this myself but I'll put you in charge of the Mac stuff.

Shane

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
AdamWathan

The Installer.app is just the application that actually does the installation when you are installing software on OS X.

PackageMaker it seems is what you use to build an installation package, and it's free with OS X as well and seems to work well, I need to learn it much better though.

In the meantime I have a much much simpler solution. I can just copy my REAPER resource folder, strip out anything that isn't specific to what I am trying to share, dump a copy of REAPER.app in that folder and zip it up. Reaper automatically looks for all it's ini files and settings in the same folder that the application is in first, and if it doesn't find it THEN it moves on to your Application Support directory to find it.

So as long as there is a copy of the Reaper executable in the resource path and that's the copy of Reaper you open, you can literally just zip up that one folder and everything can run self contained from within it. No need for a real installer or anything.

Works the same on Windows too, that's how it builds the portable installs!

So even for your ReaTools project Shan, all you have to do is make a ReaTools folder, copy everything in there from your resource path, add a copy of Reaper.exe and then open Reaper.exe, make all your preference changes, install SWS, load your keymap, etc. and then zip the ReaTools folder and as soon as someone tries to run the copy of Reaper.exe that's inside of that folder, all of your preferences/keymaps/menusets/themes/etc will be loaded 100% automatically, all they had to do was start REAPER.

I LOVE THIS PROGRAM!
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
Shan

Some killer tips!

Shane

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote