Old 12-22-2017, 04:16 PM   #1
t_k
Human being with feelings

Default Metadata

Please include a way to include metadata. Even Audacity has this.
t_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:35 PM   #2
mschnell

While this of course would be nice, you easily can use the free and very versatile "MP3tag" software for this. (can handle *.aac; *.aif; *.aifc; *.aiff; *.ape; *.apl; *.asf; *.dsf; *.flac; *.flc; *.mp+; *.mp1; *.mp2; *.mp3; *.mp4; *.m4a; *.m4b; *.m4v; *.mpc; *.ogg; *.oga; *.ofr; *.ofs; *.opus; *.spx; *.tak; *.tta; *.wav; *.wma; *.wv; *.mka; *.mkv; )

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
t_k

I can also do it in file properties. Someone like me renders the same file over and over when making changes, and has to then manually edit the tags every time. It seems like an extremely simple thing to add to an otherwise great DAW.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:07 PM   #4
deeb

not that i'll use but seems appropriate : )
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:13 PM   #5
Paul99

I am always amazed by the great intellect of a some members here who know that a request they have for Reaper, because even my grandpa has it or can do it, is "an extremely simple thing to add".
Paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
t_k

Considering the complexity involved in coding a DAW, especially one as powerful and well-done as Reaper, I would certainly think that storing a few strings and passing them to the rendered file would be extremely simple by comparison. As I mentioned, even the free and much-less-functional Audacity has it.

In any case, it is a feature that I am requesting in the Feature Request forum.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:31 AM   #7
toddhisattva

Default Life's a Batch

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_k View Post
I can also do it in file properties. Someone like me renders the same file over and over when making changes, and has to then manually edit the tags every time. It seems like an extremely simple thing to add to an otherwise great DAW.
You could use a command-line utility from a batch file or shell script to save a lot of typing and mousing through properties fields.

I use Stagger for MP3 (warning: requires Python), Metaflac for FLAC, and AtomicParsley for MP4.

Here's a Windows batch I've used to convert Reaper's WAV output (or anyone else's WAV out) to MP3 and FLAC, and set their tags. It expects the WAV files to be named like "9 RevNoNine.wav" and "013 HoganHero.wav" etc.

Code:
@echo off
setlocal
rem compntag "Album" "Artist" "Date" "Genre" "picture.ext"
rem Expects files named like "%tracknr2% %title%.wav" except
rem the track number is just everything before the first space
rem so you can have 64-bit hexadecimal track numbers

for %%i in (*.wav) do call:compntaggem "%%i" %*

endlocal
goto:eof

:compntaggem
rem "01 File Name.wav" "Album" "Artist" "Date" "Genre" "picture.ext"
flac %1
lame --preset extreme %1

set filename=%~n1
for /f "tokens=1,*" %%a in ("%filename%") do set num=%%a & set name=%%b
set num=%num:~0,-1%
set flacname=%~n1.flac
set mp3name=%~n1.mp3

metaflac ^
        --set-tag="TITLE=%name%" ^
        --set-tag="TRACKNUMBER=%num%" ^
        --set-tag="ALBUM=%~2" ^
        --set-tag="ARTIST=%~3" ^
        --set-tag="DATE=%~4" ^
        --set-tag="GENRE=%~5" ^
        --import-picture-from="%~6" ^
        "%flacname%"

python -c "import stagger; stagger.default_tag=stagger.tags.Tag23; stagger.util.set_frames('%mp3name%', {'APIC': ['%~6'], 'TALB': '%~2', 'TIT2': '%name%', 'TRCK' : '%num%' , 'TYER': '%~4', 'TCON': '%~5', 'TPE2': '%~3'} )"

goto:eof
The extra diddling w/ Stagger is because Some Major OSes have spotty support for v2.4 tags so I make it do v2.3 tags.

WHICH brings up a reason that might be part of why Reaper doesn't have tagging: it is non-trivial. From your side, it's just strings. To get them into a file for others to use, a tagger's gotta deal with the hierarchy of tag versions, frame types, and so on - while hoping the platforms you target actually make use of the tags you're writing so you don't get flooded with "I set the tags but can't see them in the file's properties" support calls.

Then repeat for each file format, MP3, MP4, and FLAC, plus others.
toddhisattva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:07 AM   #8
nofish

Autorender (part of SWS extensions) is supposed to have it I think. But I've never used this functionality and it was done long time ago, so I don't know if it still works with recent Reaper versions.

nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:32 PM   #9
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
While this of course would be nice, you easily can use the free and very versatile "MP3tag" software for this. (can handle *.aac; *.aif; *.aifc; *.aiff; *.ape; *.apl; *.asf; *.dsf; *.flac; *.flc; *.mp+; *.mp1; *.mp2; *.mp3; *.mp4; *.m4a; *.m4b; *.m4v; *.mpc; *.ogg; *.oga; *.ofr; *.ofs; *.opus; *.spx; *.tak; *.tta; *.wav; *.wma; *.wv; *.mka; *.mkv; )

-Michael
This might be acceptable if you need to do this every once in awhile but this is part of what prevents REAPER from being a serious mastering DAW in my opinion.

It's why I use REAPER for most of the audio processing but then finish mastering projects in WaveLab where metadata and CD-Text are extremely easy to enter and populate, much of it automatic.

I could go on and on but if you're mastering a dozen or more tracks per day, using a special app just for metadata work is just not practical.

Last edited by MRMJP; 12-26-2017 at 03:39 PM.
MRMJP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:02 PM   #10
SubbaseDnB

i agree,this really need to be added into Reaper
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:44 PM   #11
MRMJP

The way it's done in WaveLab is brilliant.

Markers names are populated from each clip/item/file name in one command.

Those names can be pushed to CD-Text track names in one click.

Enter Artist and Release Title (usually copy and paste-able from somewhere in the session easily) just once and it's applied to all tracks.

Enter first ISRC code and the number is increased for each track which is usually what you want.

You can add the album artwork and UPC code if you have one.

Then, whether you burn a CD, render a DDP, render WAV, AAC, mp3 or other various files, the CD-Text and/or ID3 v1 and ID3v2 metadata is automatically pushed to all applicable places.

Other project specific things are added to the metadata such as track number/track total and you can of course pad each rendered file name with the two digital track number so that the files remain in order in a computer file system but you don't have to add the track number to the track title in the metadata which can look ugly and amateur.

The resulting files are very professional looking.

It's so automatic that I never have to think about it. It's one of the many factors that I can't consider REAPER a great all-in-one mastering tool as much as I love it for the basic audio processing.

Last edited by MRMJP; 12-26-2017 at 06:08 PM.
MRMJP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:58 AM   #12
ivan.lt

When they are added, metadata fields should allow the use of wildcards.
ivan.lt is offline   Reply With Quote