Old 03-24-2019, 10:09 PM   #1
Cranky Emu
Human being with feelings

Default Mix Review

This is not my song, I am not a musician and do not speak any other languages except for when I am very intoxicated, and that is extremely rare.

Just want opinions on what others thought of the mix. The lyrics are non-english, but I did like the music/song.

Reason I choose this one is due to how much work it needed. The vocal track had a large number of clicks (clocking errors), breathy sounds and sibilance galore. So the vocal track is heavily automated. Originally I was busing my head with de-ess plugins, then tried side-chaining eq/compressor which worked a little better - then I found Kenny's video on de-ess'ing with automation, definitely the ducks guts.

There are 38 tracks all up, 22 being instrument/vocals and the rest a bus, 4 Folders and 11 returns.

https://soundcloud.com/user-88340306...-mere-humsafar

Would appreciate any comments in respect to the mix; good, bad, find a new hobby etc.
I have not done any mastering on it, this is just a mix.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:20 AM   #2
grinder

Thought you made the most of it
I would have got that little voice peak and adjusted the volume peak down being very simple to find the one in the middle of the song you can see it, it was a couple of db more than it should have been a little harsh when turned up. (am I picky)
Thought the mix translated very well to my DT computer speakers.

Well done

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:03 AM   #3
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
Thought you made the most of it
I would have got that little voice peak and adjusted the volume peak down being very simple to find the one in the middle of the song you can see it, it was a couple of db more than it should have been a little harsh when turned up. (am I picky)
Thought the mix translated very well to my DT computer speakers.

Well done

Grinder
Thanks Grinder. That peak I only noticed it after I had uploaded it. It should not have been there, my fault for not checking and not noticing it. I had dropped it down with automation the other day.

There was a screw-up with using undo and I lost all automation on every track (I was pretty cranky about that, I had spent a lot of time on automation), I loaded the backup file and the vocal automation, volume and pre-fx looked okay, but had to redo everything else on all other tracks and I just completely forgot about that peak.

I'm thinking now in hindsight maybe taking a bit more bottom end off the vocals as well. Or maybe I am just analysing it to death like I always do.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:45 AM   #4
grinder

I do not know the language but feel the tone of the voice as is is engaging in a way that Leonard Cohen although different is engaging.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote