Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-13-2018, 02:37 PM   #41
Guerrilla Music LLC
Human being with feelings

Some thoughts:
Attached is my signal chain. I wonder if I am missing anything obvious. My simple goal is to have different channels for the microphone feed and the music from REAPER in OBS so that I can mix them properly. Maybe I should explore running the mic directly into the capture device and then grabbing that audio along with the camcorder video feed into OBS. Then I'd just port the master track output from Reaper into OBS, since the microphone will be excluded from that.

Dotted lines are options, solid lines are required connections.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AV_SignalChain.jpg (55.6 KB, 274 views)
Guerrilla Music LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #42
cfillion

As far as I know OBS can only access two audio channels per device. Instead of having separate inputs in OBS, you could mix the microphone earlier in the chain: either from the UR's control software (dspMixFX) or in REAPER. https://i.imgur.com/YYQ1WXZ.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla Music LLC View Post
Maybe I should explore running the mic directly into the capture device and then grabbing that audio along with the camcorder video feed into OBS.
If you need to do the mixing from within OBS then yes routing the microphone through the capture device or camera should work. The ReaRoute solution sounds great too (I'm not familiar with ReaRoute because it's only available on Windows).

Last edited by cfillion; 12-13-2018 at 04:07 PM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:18 PM   #43
azslow3

As soon as you can get ASIO appear in the OBS, everything you want is possible.

As I have written before, you can let mic go throw REAPER to separate ReaRoute channel and so as a separate OBS source. You can hide related track if you do not want it is visible, with proper setting it will not record anything inside REAPER nor mixed with the rest of your REAPER project.

Quickly checking the Internet, it can be possible to use input 3 for mic and set mix loop to be inputs 1&2. And so record REAPER and Mic without ASIO mode in OBS and still in ASIO mode for REAPER. But the last is fussy in posts I have found and I do not have the device to check.

The only question is why OBS-ASIO can not be installed in your case. I have no ideas at the moment... if you want we can meet online with Skype or TeamViewer+Skype and solve that. PM me in case you are interested (we are probably in significantly different timezones, so have to find acceptable time).
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:39 PM   #44
Guerrilla Music LLC

So I get into the studio, fire up the computer, and lo and behold -- the ASIO option now appears in OBS. I'm not going to get too excited until this actually works, but I'm going to run through the remaining steps you originally recommended now. Thanks for the solid input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
As soon as you can get ASIO appear in the OBS, everything you want is possible.

As I have written before, you can let mic go throw REAPER to separate ReaRoute channel and so as a separate OBS source. You can hide related track if you do not want it is visible, with proper setting it will not record anything inside REAPER nor mixed with the rest of your REAPER project.

Quickly checking the Internet, it can be possible to use input 3 for mic and set mix loop to be inputs 1&2. And so record REAPER and Mic without ASIO mode in OBS and still in ASIO mode for REAPER. But the last is fussy in posts I have found and I do not have the device to check.

The only question is why OBS-ASIO can not be installed in your case. I have no ideas at the moment... if you want we can meet online with Skype or TeamViewer+Skype and solve that. PM me in case you are interested (we are probably in significantly different timezones, so have to find acceptable time).
Old 12-13-2018, 07:06 PM   #45
Guerrilla Music LLC

Default VICTORY

You guys are fantastic -- I have everything sorted out and exactly how I need it to be.

THANK YOU SINCERELY
Old 12-13-2018, 08:28 PM   #46
Guerrilla Music LLC

So I am indeed now able to record. I get the mic on it's own channel, and I get music from REAPER, both audio and MIDI. Excellent. The only issue I am having at this point is that in order to record *audio* events taking place in REAPER into OBS (for instance, recording the audio output of my Roland G8 keyboard), I have to turn on "Record Monitoring" on the REAPER track in question. This results in a chorus effect on that *audio* (this does not affect MIDI tracks, just audio). If I don't turn on record monitoring, OBS doesn't pick up the audio. I can hear it through the headphones while playing, and the performance is recorded in REAPER, but it is not captured in the OBS recording. Any bright ideas?

Last edited by Guerrilla Music LLC; 12-14-2018 at 03:31 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:14 AM   #47
azslow3

You need right routing setup. If you put ReaRoute send into Master track, you should get all sound from REAPER.

If you audition G8 using direct monitoring during recording, add a new separate track for it the same way as for mic. So "Monitor only" but record armed, with "Master send" disabled and ReaRoute send to the same channels as for master. With that:
* REAPER will play what you have already recorded usual way
* OBS will get live audio of G8 from new specialized track
* there will be no "echo"/chorus effect

Also do not forget to check OBS settings. By default it will mix all audio sources into one stereo.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:29 AM   #48
Guerrilla Music LLC

Quote:
You need right routing setup. If you put ReaRoute send into Master track, you should get all sound from REAPER.

If you audition G8 using direct monitoring during recording, add a new separate track for it the same way as for mic. So "Monitor only" but record armed, with "Master send" disabled and ReaRoute send to the same channels as for master. With that:
* REAPER will play what you have already recorded usual way
* OBS will get live audio of G8 from new specialized track
* there will be no "echo"/chorus effect

Also do not forget to check OBS settings. By default it will mix all audio sources into one stereo.
I'll give it a shot, but "monitor only" will result in the performance not being recorded within REAPER, right? I need the performance recorded in both REAPER and in OBS.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:49 AM   #49
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
If I don't turn on record monitoring, OBS doesn't pick up the audio. I can hear it through the headphones while playing, and the performance is recorded in REAPER, but it is not captured in the OBS recording.

did you watch either video posted? try the monitoring options in obs-advanced audio props there as well--disabled,mute,or monitor.

Quote:

^yep-vid 2 also shows this.. with rearoute on master all tracks are mixed... but that's only if user selects 'stereo' in obs settings... showed option in vid1 to enable '7.1' in obs-- this will seperate channels accordingly....but when you come to view the video afterwards--it will contain 8channels of audio,but they will start from the bottom,going up....so ch1+2 will be @ the bottom of file in reaper ok.

maybe if kenny had posted videos,people would take more note and actually be interested in what they show.
welcomed.
am outta here!!! =)
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:13 AM   #50
azslow3

Quote:
I'll give it a shot, but "monitor only" will result in the performance not being recorded within REAPER, right? I need the performance recorded in both REAPER and in OBS.
Yes. But according to your observation that is exactly what you need
You write you can hear the performance in the headphones and it is not recorded into OBS. And you write once recorded in REAPER and played back, you can record that playback in OBS.
So that means you have some "direct monitoring" route when you record G8. I guess you have its output as input of some track(s) in REAPER in addition. So when you record, you listen it apart from REAPER and when you play the recording that in the output from REAPER.
Suggested extra track is just to solve recording in OBS during recording in REAPER. This track is an extra, not a replacement to normal G8 tracks in the project.

And please do not set format to 7.1... it is for surround.
* Enable several channels in the advanced settings of Output section in OBS. You will also need to select output format which supports that (f.e. MKV), OBS will warn you.
* configure "matrix" in the settings for sources in OBS scene, f.e. REAPER mix goes to channel 1 only and Mic goes to channel 2 only. By default OBS output all sources to all configured output channels.
That is only required if you plan to remix audio from OBS captures. If you just want Mic/G8 live input mixed together with REAPER output for OBS recording without affecting REAPER project workflow, you can leave default one channel setting in OBS.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:37 AM   #51
Bri1
Banned

+ user must be aware of >tracks< you get 6 in obs-each will record a seperate source also-- for scene switches+inserted medias.
it's quite a powerfull set of functions-easy...for some it seems... =)

there is an actual benefit to 7.1 - like doing this in reaper also makes sense -- your *seperating* 4 stereo pairs into 1 recorded file--- but obviously,that can also cause a playback problem,if your interface,or playback devices/browsers does not support *multichannel wave* files. >upto 8 channels currently..
the bonus with seperated mixes,is 1 can 'unmix+remix all channels after recording--with a 'mixed' 2 channel final file..thats it--it's mixed already with no way to seperate channels afterwards.
++ i actually think it's sounds better 'unmixed'.

there is 0point recording a single 64track wave file in reaper: only in fact that there are no existing devices i know that can play them types of files back--unless via 64channels of 'virtual' asio strips.

some people have these wonderfull rme interfaces...i wonder how many wave channels them interfaces offer?? any users able to enlighten me on that?
^that,and loopback features is why i stuck with emu's patchmix--- it gives 8wave channels+64 virtual asio strips=nice!! got 2 of them linked via spdif=nicer!!

^ only 2 physical inputs,2 physical outputs though.. *all* channels gets mixed on final 2channel output.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:55 AM   #52
azslow3

@Bri1: I can only understand a tiny part of what you are writing...
But saving into 7.1 instead of explicit separate channels is a way to confuse many players and other software.

For RME. Babyface Pro has 4 analog input and 4 analog output (2 of them are stereo for headphones). Plus 8x8 ADAT channels.
In the software all channels are named as physical, but in reality they are not forced to be physical. So you have:
* 12 inputs for software
* 12 output from software
* 12 outputs to hardware.
And each can be almost anything you want. F.e. software input 1 can be a mix for output 1, which includes a mix of all other signals including real hardware input 1.
Also you can run several programs running in ASIO or any other mode in parallel. All connected to RME.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #53
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I can only understand a tiny part of what you are writing..

heh- wow ok,not sure why not-- typed english.....
so,in total,can you play a 64 track rendered wave file with an rme? or,not?
figured not,as reaper will still only render a 8channel file.

maybe a lot of people are mis_understanding the differences of input+output recording+playbacks..with any daw currently...
the options in obs change depending on what inputting,or,outputting methods are used.
some wave drivers will not offer 'virtual' 1/2 inputs even.right?

obviously,all this appears as gibberish,hocuspocus non_sensible babblings-but in reality-it is not!.
i think even einstein had problems tying his own shoelaces at 1 stage in life.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:21 AM   #54
Guerrilla Music LLC

Quote:
Yes. But according to your observation that is exactly what you need
You write you can hear the performance in the headphones and it is not recorded into OBS. And you write once recorded in REAPER and played back, you can record that playback in OBS.
So that means you have some "direct monitoring" route when you record G8. I guess you have its output as input of some track(s) in REAPER in addition. So when you record, you listen it apart from REAPER and when you play the recording that in the output from REAPER.
Suggested extra track is just to solve recording in OBS during recording in REAPER. This track is an extra, not a replacement to normal G8 tracks in the project.

And please do not set format to 7.1... it is for surround.
* Enable several channels in the advanced settings of Output section in OBS. You will also need to select output format which supports that (f.e. MKV), OBS will warn you.
* configure "matrix" in the settings for sources in OBS scene, f.e. REAPER mix goes to channel 1 only and Mic goes to channel 2 only. By default OBS output all sources to all configured output channels.
That is only required if you plan to remix audio from OBS captures. If you just want Mic/G8 live input mixed together with REAPER output for OBS recording without affecting REAPER project workflow, you can leave default one channel setting in OBS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
+ user must be aware of >tracks< you get 6 in obs-each will record a seperate source also-- for scene switches+inserted medias.
it's quite a powerfull set of functions-easy...for some it seems... =)

there is an actual benefit to 7.1 - like doing this in reaper also makes sense -- your *seperating* 4 stereo pairs into 1 recorded file--- but obviously,that can also cause a playback problem,if your interface,or playback devices/browsers does not support *multichannel wave* files. >upto 8 channels currently..
the bonus with seperated mixes,is 1 can 'unmix+remix all channels after recording--with a 'mixed' 2 channel final file..thats it--it's mixed already with no way to seperate channels afterwards.
++ i actually think it's sounds better 'unmixed'.

there is 0point recording a single 64track wave file in reaper: only in fact that there are no existing devices i know that can play them types of files back--unless via 64channels of 'virtual' asio strips.

some people have these wonderfull rme interfaces...i wonder how many wave channels them interfaces offer?? any users able to enlighten me on that?
^that,and loopback features is why i stuck with emu's patchmix--- it gives 8wave channels+64 virtual asio strips=nice!! got 2 of them linked via spdif=nicer!!

^ only 2 physical inputs,2 physical outputs though.. *all* channels gets mixed on final 2channel output.
Thank you for the responses. I'll have better input once I am in front of my production computer again, but here is the situation:

My aim is to record in OBS (and also sometimes live stream) my production sessions. I want the music to be properly recorded as tracks in REAPER and also recorded/streamed via OBS simultaneously. What was occurring last night was that the audio tracks that were being created in REAPER would only be recorded in OBS if INPUT MONITORING was turned on in REAPER. I have never had to turn that on for audio in REAPER, only MIDI tracks have required that. The resultant recorded material then had a minor echo/chorus to it. There is clearly something amiss in the routing and as mentioned above, I think it has to do with double monitoring the output of the audio tracks. I just don't know what to turn off in order to alleviate the double monitoring, while still enabling the signal to be captured by both REAPER and OBS. It's different from my microphone monitoring, because I don't want that signal captured by REAPER, I only want that recorded in OBS (which is working fine). I can give more detailed descriptions of my routing this evening once I get in.

Also, I greatly appreciate the videos provided. I admit that once I seemed to be up and running, I didn't view them but I am going to today, in case they add clarity to the interplay between REAPER and OBS. Thank you, Bri1!
Old 12-14-2018, 10:53 AM   #55
Bri1
Banned

lolz=no worriez-more info,the better!

<try not to do this>

once walking is learned,running can then begin!!
Old 12-14-2018, 01:37 PM   #56
azslow3

Quote:
My aim is to record in OBS (and also sometimes live stream) my production sessions. I want the music to be properly recorded as tracks in REAPER and also recorded/streamed via OBS simultaneously. What was occurring last night was that the audio tracks that were being created in REAPER would only be recorded in OBS if INPUT MONITORING was turned on in REAPER. I have never had to turn that on for audio in REAPER, only MIDI tracks have required that. The resultant recorded material then had a minor echo/chorus to it. There is clearly something amiss in the routing and as mentioned above, I think it has to do with double monitoring the output of the audio tracks. I just don't know what to turn off in order to alleviate the double monitoring, while still enabling the signal to be captured by both REAPER and OBS. It's different from my microphone monitoring, because I don't want that signal captured by REAPER, I only want that recorded in OBS (which is working fine).
Just add one new track per your additional mics/instruments, with input set to that mic/instrument, record armed in "monitor only" mode, master send unset and ReaRoute send added (to the same channels as your master track or different, to record even more channels in OBS). You can even hide these tracks in REAPER, so do no think about them as a part of the project. If you want record into the project, use tracks as you do normally (without monitoring).

Quote:
so,in total,can you play a 64 track rendered wave file with an rme? or,not?
The only RME which can play wave files is UFX, I do not have it.
Most interfaces have no build-in file players. It is up to software to parse files and stream the data into interfaces.
RME software creates the number of input/output streams equivalent to the number of physically supported channels.
So for RME Babyface Pro that is 12x12.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #57
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
The only RME which can play wave files is UFX, I do not have it.

^ahh i see=thanx.. having never used a mac and also wondered if they had the 8 channel file limit there like the win10 mixer does...dunno.
i also gave some mis_informed_ations about bitrate maximums etc-- it appears some formatting will give higher stream rates.hmmm.

@ Guerrilla Music LLC - i would advise you go directly to obs help/fourms-- they make the programme and will have more detailed info which is not comming from any un/biased users point of view.
slightly more technical information can be helpfull,so try here as well> https://obsproject.com/wiki/Surround...ing-with-a-daw

i have learned a lot while looking at all this a bit deeper- so thanx for that.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:41 PM   #58
Guerrilla Music LLC

Quote:
Just add one new track per your additional mics/instruments, with input set to that mic/instrument, record armed in "monitor only" mode, master send unset and ReaRoute send added (to the same channels as your master track or different, to record even more channels in OBS). You can even hide these tracks in REAPER, so do no think about them as a part of the project. If you want record into the project, use tracks as you do normally (without monitoring).
Sorry man, I misrepresented what the issue was, since I was not in front of the computer. The issue is that I have to turn on RECORD MONITORING, not input monitoring. Normally, when I am just tracking in REAPER without dealing with OBS, I only have to activate record monitoring when tracking MIDI parts. Now however, when trying to record/live stream into OBS, to *record* the audio from my keyboard, RECORD MONITORING must be activated. The resulting sound is doubled/chorus like.

EDIT - I think I got it. I needed to deactivate the master send.

Last edited by Guerrilla Music LLC; 12-14-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #59
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Wooohooo!!!! Works!!!!! AWESOME THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:15 AM   #60
Likko

I was reading way too in-depth into this discussion, searching for possible outcomes for you guys before I went to the end and saw that you had it all sorted.

I use Reaper and OBS for every stream I do, using Voicemeeter.

(twitch.tv/TheVillageRuse)

If you're a streamer on that platform, come by and let me know!
Likko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:30 AM   #61
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I use Reaper and OBS for every stream I do, using Voicemeeter

lolz- late to the party again!!

if you had been the very 1st person to try helping,you may have saved some steps!!
+op seems happy+maybe others too=goodgood....but,op was trying to get around midi monitoring inside reaper sorted..not since returned to clarify if all is well..?
they are right..that's how midi record works like that in reaper--once recorded=npz.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:40 AM   #62
Guerrilla Music LLC

Quote:
lolz- late to the party again!!

if you had been the very 1st person to try helping,you may have saved some steps!!
+op seems happy+maybe others too=goodgood....but,op was trying to get around midi monitoring inside reaper sorted..not since returned to clarify if all is well..?
they are right..that's how midi record works like that in reaper--once recorded=npz.
Good morning. I have things going; have not been giving the blow-by-blow details but bottom line is I am up and running. Thanks. I would like to know how to save the hardware sends into ReaRoute that I created on the master track, so that I don't need to remember to create them each time I fire up Reaper and want to record/stream via OBS.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:38 AM   #63
Guerrilla Music LLC

Default poor live stream quality....?

This is an OBS question as opposed to a Reaper one, but folks here might know what the issue is nonetheless. Below I linked to a FB video I just streamed to give an example of the quality I am getting sharing my Reaper sessions.

Horrible visual fuzziness, audio crackling. To the folks who stream, are there obvious things for me to look at adjusting? I have a well spec'd computer, so I don't think the audio issues are anything inherent to the hardware.

https://www.facebook.com/erinwthomps...5486718836277/
Old 12-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #64
airon

OBS can do GPU stream encoding. There are some good YouTube videos on how get an efficient stream going too.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #65
Guerrilla Music LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
OBS can do GPU stream encoding. There are some good YouTube videos on how get an efficient stream going too.
I think I worked it out, and saved a couple different profiles in OBS, one with ideal Facebook settings, the other for YouTube.

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:21 AM   #66
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Thanks. I would like to know how to save the hardware sends into ReaRoute that I created on the master track, so that I don't need to remember to create them each time I fire up Reaper and want to record/stream via OBS.

ello- well,apparently reaper still does not remember them master channel settings--defaults to 1/2 always here---
so,make a track template with master output unchecked and use that as a master rearoute bus...you will also get multicore rendering by not using the master track i think=better performances.
How are your streams now? has the recording qaulity improved with different obs settings?

*edit* - lol,interestingly you can do something unusual here in reaper by using project tabs..
it appears if you *save all your rearoutes on master track as a project template,to work.
you can open 2 project tabs,and set either master track to use default /wave/asio- and the other tab >to rearouting sources!!

Last edited by Bri1; 12-17-2018 at 03:47 AM. Reason: 1xtra.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:43 AM   #67
Guerrilla Music LLC

Thanks, Bri1!

These configuration gremlins have been frustrating and your input and knowledge is appreciated. I'm making steady headway and my only real remaining issues are on the OBS side: crackly audio and fuzzy resolution on my streams. Here is a production session I recorded the other night.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00011248655061

I'm confident I'll get the remaining kinks worked out soon.

Quote:
ello- well,apparently reaper still does not remember them master channel settings--defaults to 1/2 always here---
so,make a track template with master output unchecked and use that as a master rearoute bus...you will also get multicore rendering by not using the master track i think=better performances.
How are your streams now? has the recording qaulity improved with different obs settings?

*edit* - lol,interestingly you can do something unusual here in reaper by using project tabs..
it appears if you *save all your rearoutes on master track as a project template,to work.
you can open 2 project tabs,and set either master track to use default /wave/asio- and the other tab >to rearouting sources!!
Old 12-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #68
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I'm making steady headway and my only real remaining issues are on the OBS side: crackly audio and fuzzy resolution on my streams.

ahhh ok- cannot view video+ tending to avoid fb like the plague lol..
it may help if you post some settings that you recorded-- obs settings+ windows file properties + reaper source informations--

it may be due to something silly like sample/frame rate misalignements--or,something a little more sinister!
was that a 'stream' or just a normal recording you done there?

what kbps are you seeing from your informs?
confidence can grow with extra knowledge.
which playback device is giving you the most issues?? or, is all playback mashed?
Old 12-19-2018, 08:18 PM   #69
Guerrilla Music LLC

Quote:
ahhh ok- cannot view video+ tending to avoid fb like the plague lol..
it may help if you post some settings that you recorded-- obs settings+ windows file properties + reaper source informations--

it may be due to something silly like sample/frame rate misalignements--or,something a little more sinister!
was that a 'stream' or just a normal recording you done there?

what kbps are you seeing from your informs?
confidence can grow with extra knowledge.
which playback device is giving you the most issues?? or, is all playback mashed?
Been sidetracked on another project. I hope to get at more streaming this weekend. Thank you.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:53 AM   #70
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I hope to get at more streaming this weekend.

nay problemoez joe.
you may find this article helpfull for youtube encoding> https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2853702

^the less pre,or post conversion processes-the better eh...for both audio+video.
optimize settings=save as a hq standard>for all to embrace,or not.
if your post editing in reaper--try to match frame rates and audio sample rates in the timeline,so reaper has less todo on the fly.

there's also a few ways to route in reaper-- you can either have seperated sends,each with volumes/pan/phase etc,or multichannel group sends.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #71
pipelineaudio
Mortal

One of the big problems I have is getting the audio from the different audio streams in OBS to open back in reaper. They play fine in VLC and some others, but not in reaper
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote