Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 04-14-2017, 03:55 AM   #1
ZoeB
Human being with feelings

Default "Explode MIDI item by note row (pitch)" leads to note lengths being increased

This is sort of intermittent, inasmuch as it consistently happens with certain examples but not others. Attached is an example that has this issue.

Right click the channel's notes > Item processing > Explode MIDI item by note row (pitch)

About bar 17 onwards has the note lengths increased for the channel "Drums [CV 1 707 Kick]"
About bar 9 onwards has them increased for the channel "Drums [CV 2 808 Kick]"
And bar 7 onwards of "Drums [CV 4 808 snare]"
I believe the other three channels are fine.

(After searching to see if this was a dupe, I found previous bug reports here to do with notes lengthening and sustaining, but not as a result of splitting, so I believe this is a separate issue.)
Attached Files
File Type: rpp note-split-length-issue.RPP (101.0 KB, 259 views)
ZoeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:25 AM   #2
ZoeB

Something else might be at play here. When I import the attached MIDI file, for the first channel, "Rhythm", bars 47 onwards have similar note-extending issues for some notes but not others.
Attached Files
File Type: mid the-second-summer-of-love-analogue-parts.mid (14.1 KB, 223 views)
Old 06-08-2017, 03:20 PM   #3
juliansader

I tested the RPP on my system, and I also get lengthened notes.

When I took a look at the raw MIDI, I saw none of the "usual suspects" such as overlapping notes or note-ons with 0 velocity. Strangely, the lengthened notes are only displayed in the MIDI editor - not in the arrange view.

EDIT: One of the culprits appears to be the 110bpm tempo change at the start of the item. If I remove this tempo change, the notes don't get lengthened.

Last edited by juliansader; 08-14-2017 at 11:52 PM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:04 PM   #4
ZoeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
I tested the RPP on my system, and I also get lengthened notes.

When I took a look at the raw MIDI, I saw none of the "usual suspects" such as overlapping notes or note-ons with 0 velocity. Strangely, the lengthened notes are only displayed in the MIDI editor - not in the arrange view.

EDIT: One of the culprits appears to be the 110bpm tempo change at the start of the item. If I remove this tempo change, the notes don't get lengthened.
OK, this is over a year too late of me, but thank you for this reply! I'm still getting this issue, but thanks to your observation, I can now work around it for single-tempo songs by simply removing the tempo change marker, and manually setting the global tempo instead. That's much quicker than manually exploding the drums each time!