Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 11-11-2019, 09:11 AM   #1
SmajjL
Human being with feelings

Default Microsoft: Defender ATP is coming to Linux

https://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...linux-in-2020/

maby oops place.. (not REAPER music topic) was thinking Linux people.. ohh well, spank me gently..

Last edited by SmajjL; 11-11-2019 at 01:16 PM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
https://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...linux-in-2020/

maby oops place.. (not REAPER music) was thinking Linux people.. ohh well, spank me gently..
This is for Linux email servers so they won't distribute emails with Windows viruses to machines running Windows is my guess.

Either that or Microsoft wants to trick Linux users into installing M$ surveillance software onto their Linux machines.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #3
SmajjL

I don't think your Glennbo'ness of very HOT burning Linux flame is without reason and ending anytime soon & I was happier being ignorant I think.. haha
What is the world coming to... .. .

Old 11-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
Glennbo

I could see the first example I posted as being a legit possibility, but the second example is based on my distrust of Microsoft.

For example, two nights ago I decided to do some astro-photography out in my backyard, and upon plugging my Canon EOS into my Windows 8.1 laptop (one of the two remaining Windows machines in my house), I am alerted that Windows can't automatically install the driver.

The freeking camera had been previously setup, but since then I had disabled automatic installation of drivers because Microsoft keeps hosing my WiFi by installing a bad Broadcom driver. Anyway, I had my telescope setup and ready to capture some images so I clicked the panel asking me to allow that again. I did, it finally worked, I got some great shots and then last night my WiFi went wonky on the laptop again. Freeking Broadcom driver was installed again! GRRRRRR!!!

The telescope with Canon camera attached.

And some captures of the moon, the M110 galaxy, and the Double Cluster.

Last edited by Glennbo; 11-11-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #5
SmajjL

Nice!! looks like you rrrreeealy! want to get far-far away from Microsoft
Just an hour ago I saw someone's eye here as an avatar and thought about the crab nebula.

I've experienced that Windows can install a new connected device before me, but after I install the proper one and Windows should decide to re-install something else over it, never happened for me, that would be something to make a song about in that case LoL…

So if I pull the internet plug and install my stuff, all goody, then connect internet, this can happen? oooooook… ? hmm

Old 11-11-2019, 10:46 AM   #6
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Nice!! looks like you rrrreeealy! want to get far-far away from Microsoft
Just an hour ago I saw someone's eye here as an avatar and thought about the crab nebula.
I've seen the avatar you mention and wondered if that is his eye, and if so how much security risk he's opened up posting it.

Quote:
I've experienced that Windows can install a new connected device before me, but after I install the proper one and Windows should decide to re-install something else over it, never happened for me, that would be something to make a song about in that case LoL…

So if I pull the internet plug and install my stuff, all goody, then connect internet, this can happen? oooooook… ? hmm
This is, Microsoft assumes they always know better than me, and I take that as an insult. They tried ramming Windows 10 down my throat on more than 15 machines I administered, and every time I'd do something to prevent the automatic installation of an OS I didn't want, they'd circumvent my method of blocking it, and try again to the point of becoming a malware attack.

My WiFi driver issue had been resolved by disabling automatic installation of drivers and me manually rolling back the original Microsoft driver. The Broadcom driver works initially, but then fails and at that point won't re-connect to the router until the router has been rebooted. Never ever happens with the Microsoft driver, but Windows 8 will install the bad Broadcom driver the moment I allow Windows to install drivers for me, since Microsoft thinks they know better than me what works on my hardware.