Old 06-02-2020, 06:21 PM   #1
IadAslan
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI PDC without gap!?

Hi, I have the following problem:

I record MIDI with the following settings:

This is necessary because I usually compensate my playing according to the PDC and I want my MIDI to be exactly where I heard it while recording.

So, after recording I get this item:

The problem now is there is this weird and useless gap with dents at the beginning of the item (red)

If I then go on and quantize my recorded MIDI all the green notes get quantized correctly, but the first note can't because of said gap (red)

Is there a way to turn off this behaviour? I can't see why this is useful?

Thanks in advance!
IadAslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:55 PM   #2
Joe90

Yes it's frustrating. As you said, it breaks quantize, it also means the midi tick is misaligned from the global project tick, which causes a whole bunch of other issues.

When 'Preserve PDC delayed monitoring...' is ticked, then the data should be delayed, but the actual beginning of the midi item should NOT. This feels like it shouldn't be too difficult to fix, so hopefully it gets a look in.

As it is, all you can do if you don't want the item start time to be delayed is to turn that function off, or start recording earlier and don't loop record... not ideal I know.

You can also glue the part post recording, this will restore the start time to actual beginning of the item, but you will lose additional takes contained in that item.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:02 PM   #3
foxAsteria

I requested this as well a few years back: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=197288

Eventually I just shelled out for an RME card with latency low enough I didn't need this hackey workaround anymore.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:12 AM   #4
Win Conway

Isn't that just the start of the item, offset because of the preserved PDC, just drag the items edge and move it back in to place.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:55 AM   #5
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I requested this as well a few years back: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=197288

Eventually I just shelled out for an RME card with latency low enough I didn't need this hackey workaround anymore.
I use an RME soundcard, however low you set the latency it won't stop this problem I'm afraid. It just makes that gap smaller. You still won't be able to quantize that first note right to the start of the bar, if the item starts on the bar.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:41 PM   #6
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I use an RME soundcard, however low you set the latency it won't stop this problem I'm afraid. It just makes that gap smaller. You still won't be able to quantize that first note right to the start of the bar, if the item starts on the bar.
You misunderstand. If you set it low enough, you can turn off PDC because the latency won't affect your timing.

PDC only exists because latency can cause you to unconsciously play slightly ahead of the beat in order to hear it in time with the existing tracks. Without then delaying it with PDC, the playback audio would sound ahead of beat instead of how you heard it when you performed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
Isn't that just the start of the item, offset because of the preserved PDC, just drag the items edge and move it back in to place.
It's an item offset, but it only affects the first note incorrectly. If you remove the offset, you remove the effect of PDC. our first note will be on time and then all the rest will be early.