Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 11-28-2021, 06:47 PM   #41
MiddleC
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
... but surely you agree that things have been getting better throughout the years. :-)
Absolutely. 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie
It will simplify your life a great deal, and make music making enjoyable again. :-)
I have that already. Making music never stopped being enjoyable.

Last edited by MiddleC; 11-28-2021 at 06:54 PM.
MiddleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:36 PM   #42
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I have to wonder what big issues people are having with Linux as it is. Almost every application I used in Windows also has a native Linux version, and for the two or three apps that didn't have native Linux versions, I found equivalent native Linux replacements.

I mean, I switched my wife's machine out from Windows 7 to Xubuntu Linux while she was at work, without letting her know in advance, and I'm still here to tell the tale. That ought to say a lot about Linux right there. She has an art studio and uses the computer to generate tags, scan stuff, convert to pdf, print flyers, and other stuff like that, and it all works so similar to Windows that I never heard one complaint.

Every Linux plugin that I've purchased continue to work, even when I switched from Xubuntu to Manjaro. All my bridged Windows plugins also work fine before and after the switch.
That is totally to the credit of the awesome, dedicated developers we have for Linux software. 🙂

But how do you run apps that don’t exist in linux? Most likely, you’ll have to use WINE + yabridge. For example, if you wanted to use Native Instruments’ Kontakt? I’ve never wanted and hated a program so much in my life! LOL . I want it because of the hundreds of gigs of multisampled instruments of anything you can imagine. I hate it because the format is so locked down that you can’t convert your libraries to a different format! It alone probably stands as the only program I truly wish was available on linux with serial code license registration and an open format. The closest thing right now is LinuxSampler or possibly Sfizz, along with SFZ files. It works, of course, but Linux deserves so much better. Thank goodness for WINE and yabridge!
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:56 PM   #43
MiddleC

Quote:
The opposite of good engineering imo.
(This is an interesting topic, and maybe deserves a thread of its own, independent of linux)

I disagree. Good engineers don't design to accommodate every use case. They put guardrails around their solution to prevent "misuse". A bridge could be 250 ft. wide just in case it ever needs to support a 747... but let's not.

I've always called it the "delicate unique snowflake syndrome". Somehow the workflows and tools that have been and continue to be used in an industry are somehow insufficient for one person or company.

Will being able to tweak your environment to within an inch of its life somehow move you towards greater productivity or higher quality? Never did for me. As options grew, my productivity declined.

The piece of gear on which I finished the most pieces was an Akai DPS12.

Edit: My good old buddy. Picture it with big old SCSI drive and massive plug attached.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/akai-dps12

Last edited by MiddleC; 11-28-2021 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-28-2021, 08:36 PM   #44
MiddleC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan.w View Post
Yea for me personally, it's not about tweaking to the nth degree. Or having unlimited options. I agree and I think most people would agree that limitations are useful. But it's about choosing myself, precisely where in my creative process will I compromise, and where I will not.

I think I had the tascam knock-off of that akai : )
Actually I've accepted my hypocrisy here. I own more tools than ever... and spend most time fiddling instead of producing.

I'm not saying that's valueless. I've spent many enjoyable hours that way.

It's kind of like being a completist in something like World of Warcraft. Ultimately it's worthless, but only if your enjoyment was worth nothing.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:02 PM   #45
Glennbo

Quote:
That is totally to the credit of the awesome, dedicated developers we have for Linux software. 🙂

But how do you run apps that don’t exist in linux? Most likely, you’ll have to use WINE + yabridge. For example, if you wanted to use Native Instruments’ Kontakt? I’ve never wanted and hated a program so much in my life! LOL . I want it because of the hundreds of gigs of multisampled instruments of anything you can imagine. I hate it because the format is so locked down that you can’t convert your libraries to a different format! It alone probably stands as the only program I truly wish was available on linux with serial code license registration and an open format. The closest thing right now is LinuxSampler or possibly Sfizz, along with SFZ files. It works, of course, but Linux deserves so much better. Thank goodness for WINE and yabridge!
I've been using Kontakt, Superior Drummer 2, EZ-Drummer 1, EZ-Keys Piano Essentials, Arturia MiniMoog 5, and some other Windows plugins for three and half years with no problems. Only once in that time frame has a WINE update caused any issues, and I had that one instantly solved, suffering zero down time.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 02:36 AM   #46
4duhwinnn

Quote:
I have to wonder what big issues people are having with Linux as it is.
I don't think they can even have an issue with something that is non existant. Linux wasn't in anyone's decade+ of education, isn't in their current workplace, and is fully disguised as currently implemented in android devices.

For all practical purposes, to the average computer user, linux only exists in server rooms and windowless system administrator offices.

We wind up chipping away at the corporate monolith, with practical examples, and friendly advice, for those who just want to make it to quitting time, and who are more willing to endure the status quo, than to try something new.

Attempts to make the linux experience more like apple and microsoft, can easily devolve into making a third bloated, waddling system, that few people need, and fewer want. In their eyes, if win/mac ain't broke, why fix them?

We have a computing island paradise, but those on the outside, entrenched and indoctrinated as they may be, simply don't have time to, or are too afraid to, splash in the surf and go barefoot!

'What island? We don't need no stinkin' island...we be the masses!'
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:08 AM   #47
audiojunkie

Quote:
I've been using Kontakt, Superior Drummer 2, EZ-Drummer 1, EZ-Keys Piano Essentials, Arturia MiniMoog 5, and some other Windows plugins for three and half years with no problems. Only once in that time frame has a WINE update caused any issues, and I had that one instantly solved, suffering zero down time.
My point exactly! 🙂 It’s time for me to reevaluate my native apps only stance. A benefit of wine is that you do not have to worry about dependency hell when using it. All of the windows plugins that we use will not affect our Linux library‘s in any way—our systems remain stable. In other words it may be a very safe option.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:26 AM   #48
audiojunkie

In my opinion after all of this—learning these things, I believe we as users are on the right path. We just need to respect how difficult it is for developers to package apps, and we need to appreciate what we have. I had always thought that it was just a matter of convincing developers to support linux, but it’s more than that— it is a lot of work for developers to create native apps that work across all distro‘s. The developers are doing their best to produce Native apps with the least amount of conflicts as possible. Things are getting better all the time year by year. But progress may be slower than I would hoped it would be, because I was not aware of all these issues that the developers have to go through. So realistically, we should use everything in our arsenal now, rather than just native apps. That includes WINE. I am confident that slowly but surely things will continue to improve and more and more native apps will be available. The developers are aware of the situation and on top of it. 🙂
Old 11-29-2021, 07:04 AM   #49
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
I don't think they can even have an issue with something that is non existant. Linux wasn't in anyone's decade+ of education, isn't in their current workplace, and is fully disguised as currently implemented in android devices.

For all practical purposes, to the average computer user, linux only exists in server rooms and windowless system administrator offices.

We wind up chipping away at the corporate monolith, with practical examples, and friendly advice, for those who just want to make it to quitting time, and who are more willing to endure the status quo, than to try something new.

Attempts to make the linux experience more like apple and microsoft, can easily devolve into making a third bloated, waddling system, that few people need, and fewer want. In their eyes, if win/mac ain't broke, why fix them?

We have a computing island paradise, but those on the outside, entrenched and indoctrinated as they may be, simply don't have time to, or are too afraid to, splash in the surf and go barefoot!

'What island? We don't need no stinkin' island...we be the masses!'
I don't even think about the fact that I'm running Linux on every on of the six machines in my house, just like when they were all running Windows I never thought about that either.

I just use them all for the same tasks as they performed when they were running Windows. IOW, I only think about the tasks I'm performing on whatever OS I'm using. If Linux as a desktop was as difficult to use as some folks make it out to be, I certainly wouldn't be using it. I switched the entire OS out on my DAW from Xubuntu to Manjaro, halfway through a REAPER project, and experienced zero problems.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:10 AM   #50
Glennbo

Quote:
My point exactly! 🙂 It’s time for me to reevaluate my native apps only stance. A benefit of wine is that you do not have to worry about dependency hell when using it. All of the windows plugins that we use will not affect our Linux library‘s in any way—our systems remain stable. In other words it may be a very safe option.
I took the path of switching out all the plugins I could switch to native Linux, and for the handful that don't have native Linux replacements, I run the Windows version in WINE and bridge them with Yabridge.

100% of my audio plugins are native Linux.

50% of my midi instruments plugins are bridged Windows VSTi's.

I don't even think about it, and just make music.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:21 AM   #51
audiojunkie

Quote:
I took the path of switching out all the plugins I could switch to native Linux, and for the handful that don't have native Linux replacements, I run the Windows version in WINE and bridge them with Yabridge.

100% of my audio plugins are native Linux.

50% of my midi instruments plugins are bridged Windows VSTi's.

I don't even think about it, and just make music.
I agree. I think that’s how it should be. Prioritize Native apps first, but supplement with wine and yabridge.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:39 AM   #52
Glennbo

Quote:
I agree. I think that’s how it should be. Prioritize Native apps first, but supplement with wine and yabridge.
It's worked for me for the last three and a half years.

My primary goal, which was to free myself from Microsoft tentacles has been a success since day one of me switching to Linux. First as a dual boot experiment, with the intention of running Win7 offline to work in REAPER, and running Linux for everything else.

One week after setting up dual Win7/Xubuntu booting on my DAW, the first experimental native Linux version of REAPER dropped, which was REAPER v5.93 - July 17, 2018. I started using it right away and never booted to Win7 again, so I eventually nuked the Win7 partition and gave the space to Linux.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:55 AM   #53
audiojunkie

Quote:
It's worked for me for the last three and a half years.

My primary goal, which was to free myself from Microsoft tentacles has been a success since day one of me switching to Linux. First as a dual boot experiment, with the intention of running Win7 offline to work in REAPER, and running Linux for everything else.

One week after setting up dual Win7/Xubuntu booting on my DAW, the first experimental native Linux version of REAPER dropped, which was REAPER v5.93 - July 17, 2018. I started using it right away and never booted to Win7 again, so I eventually nuked the Win7 partition and gave the space to Linux.
That's cool! I'm the same way now. I originally was planning on doing a dual boot setup, but instead I went straight Arch and decided to not use JACK. I have Pipewire on my system, but I'm not really doing anything with it.

Now that I better understand the difficulties with making commercial (closed source) apps that work across multiple distros, and and now that I better understand why they choose Ubuntu (an older, non-bleeding edge distro that libraries for bleeding edge distros like Arch should be compatible with), I'm satisfied with the state of Linux for pro audio. I understand why developers are doing what they are doing. They just need to provide a way to demo test the apps they are selling for Ubuntu, so that we can test and confirm they work on our Arch systems. I think when they provide commercial apps, it would be most helpful for developer's sales to state that:

"While the software was compiled on Ubuntu 18.04, care has been taken so that the software should be compatible for most distros. However, please download and test the app to confirm it works before purchasing, because all sales are final."

I think the above would get more sales than what we currently see:

"This app is for Ubuntu 18.04 and higher."
Old 11-29-2021, 09:14 AM   #54
Glennbo

Quote:
That's cool! I'm the same way now. I originally was planning on doing a dual boot setup, but instead I went straight Arch and decided to not use JACK. I have Pipewire on my system, but I'm not really doing anything with it.

Now that I better understand the difficulties with making commercial (closed source) apps that work across multiple distros, and and now that I better understand why they choose Ubuntu (an older, non-bleeding edge distro that libraries for bleeding edge distros like Arch should be compatible with), I'm satisfied with the state of Linux for pro audio. I understand why developers are doing what they are doing. They just need to provide a way to demo test the apps they are selling for Ubuntu, so that we can test and confirm they work on our Arch systems. I think when they provide commercial apps, it would be most helpful for developer's sales to state that:

"While the software was compiled on Ubuntu 18.04, care has been taken so that the software should be compatible for most distros. However, please download and test the app to confirm it works before purchasing, because all sales are final."

I think the above would get more sales than what we currently see:

"This app is for Ubuntu 18.04 and higher."
Hehe, I'd rather see plugin developers offer free Linux versions of their wares, like Crumar is doing with the "Crumar Performer".

https://www.crumar.it/?a=showproduct&b=41

Windows and Mac users gotta cough up $100+ to get a legit copy, but Linux users get it for FREE!
Old 11-29-2021, 09:15 AM   #55
audiojunkie

I just found a really cool tool to help with converting .Deb files into Arch package files. This way, the pacman package manager can help with managing the dependencies and help prevent dependency hell:

https://ostechnix.com/convert-deb-pa...inux-packages/

I imagine that ldd will be a useful tool as well in making sure you have the proper dependencies you may lack.

Very, very cool!

Last edited by audiojunkie; 11-29-2021 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:26 AM   #56
audiojunkie

Quote:
Hehe, I'd rather see plugin developers offer free Linux versions of their wares, like Crumar is doing with the "Crumar Performer".

https://www.crumar.it/?a=showproduct&b=41

Windows and Mac users gotta cough up $100+ to get a legit copy, but Linux users get it for FREE!
Hehehe! But you are thinking like a consumer and not from the developer's point of view regarding commercial sales! I want the developers to get money, so more and more developers will support Linux!
Old 11-29-2021, 09:40 AM   #57
audiojunkie

Quote:
I just found a really cool tool to help with converting .Deb files into Arch package files. This way, the pacman package manager can help with managing the dependencies and help prevent dependency hell:

https://ostechnix.com/convert-deb-pa...inux-packages/

I imagine that ldd will be a useful tool as well in making sure you have the proper dependencies you may lack.

Very, very cool!
Here's more info on Debtap! Very cool stuff! It is apparently a better converter than Alien is for DEB to RPM. For commercial packages in DEB format, this looks like a very useful tool!

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to add the link:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=187558
Old 11-29-2021, 10:00 AM   #58
audiojunkie

Here is the Debtap Git page:

https://github.com/helixarch/debtap
Old 11-29-2021, 10:14 AM   #59
audiojunkie

Here is an ldd tutorial for those who don't know how to use it:

https://www.xmodulo.com/check-librar...ess-linux.html
Old 11-29-2021, 11:57 AM   #60
Glennbo

Quote:
Hehehe! But you are thinking like a consumer and not from the developer's point of view regarding commercial sales! I want the developers to get money, so more and more developers will support Linux!
If Native Instruments were to make a native Linux version of Kontakt, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. That would be a massive re-write of code for them though, and they have no interest so I'll just spend my money somewhere else.

In reality, LinuxSampler could easily replace Kontakt, but the libraries are what is missing. I used to use GigaStudio, so I have some instruments in .gig format that I can load up in LinuxSampler, but Kontakt has a bigger selection so I use it.

If only I could just convert the Kontakt Factory Library to .gig format files, then I could use LinuxSampler as my goto sample player instrument.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:35 PM   #61
audiojunkie

Quote:
If Native Instruments were to make a native Linux version of Kontakt, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. That would be a massive re-write of code for them though, and they have no interest so I'll just spend my money somewhere else.

In reality, LinuxSampler could easily replace Kontakt, but the libraries are what is missing. I used to use GigaStudio, so I have some instruments in .gig format that I can load up in LinuxSampler, but Kontakt has a bigger selection so I use it.

If only I could just convert the Kontakt Factory Library to .gig format files, then I could use LinuxSampler as my goto sample player instrument.
There's an awesome once a year sale going on at Samples From Mars. I bought it a few years ago, and I bought it again this year to get up to date. Normally everything in the store would be around $1800 US. However, once a year, for Black Friday, he sells his entire inventory in a 56Gb pack for $39. Along with the available orchestra files and other available SFZs I've collected over the years, I'm nearly to the point where I don't need any more samples. But it's been a long time of collecting to get to that point. :-D LinuxSampler or Sfizz seem to be the best options for playing SFZ files. LinuxSampler even does Direct From Disk (DFD), so it's even better! :-) But I still find packs I would love to get my hands on. :-)

Edit: I just checked. The All Samples pack is STILL for sale for only $39, if you're interested. :-)
Old 11-29-2021, 01:18 PM   #62
Glennbo

Quote:
There's an awesome once a year sale going on at Samples From Mars. I bought it a few years ago, and I bought it again this year to get up to date. Normally everything in the store would be around $1800 US. However, once a year, for Black Friday, he sells his entire inventory in a 56Gb pack for $39. Along with the available orchestra files and other available SFZs I've collected over the years, I'm nearly to the point where I don't need any more samples. But it's been a long time of collecting to get to that point. :-D LinuxSampler or Sfizz seem to be the best options for playing SFZ files. LinuxSampler even does Direct From Disk (DFD), so it's even better! :-) But I still find packs I would love to get my hands on. :-)

Edit: I just checked. The All Samples pack is STILL for sale for only $39, if you're interested. :-)
Like you, I've collected samples and libraries for many years, and I mostly use staple instruments that I have covered.

I've used LinuxSampler in a number of projects, and between .gig, .sfz, and .sf2 files I have 339 decent quality sampled instruments to pick from.
Old 11-29-2021, 03:01 PM   #63
audiojunkie

So, based on all of this information, my recommendations for a distro for a new user using Linux for Pro Audio would remain nearly the same:

Ubuntu Studio with the KXStudio repo, WINE + yabridge, or an AUR compatible distro, along with Debtap, WINE + yabridge.

For newbies, I'd recommend Ubuntu Studio or Manjaro.

For me, I like Arch.

Last edited by audiojunkie; 11-29-2021 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 03:04 PM   #64
audiojunkie

Quote:
Like you, I've collected samples and libraries for many years, and I mostly use staple instruments that I have covered.

I've used LinuxSampler in a number of projects, and between .gig, .sfz, and .sf2 files I have 339 decent quality sampled instruments to pick from.
I have no idea what the total number of SFZ files would be, but I'm sure it's a similarly large number.

One of the reasons I like Disco DSP's Bliss Sampler, is that I can easily create SFZ files from just about anything that can then be used with LinuxSampler. I absolutely love that Bliss Sampler has the ability to export to SFZ format! I can sample VST instruments as well. It's a pretty cool tool!
Old 11-29-2021, 06:57 PM   #65
4duhwinnn

Quote:
If Native Instruments were to make a native Linux version of Kontakt, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. That would be a massive re-write of code for them though, and they have no interest .
They are already facing a major re-write just to fend off competition that has supplied modern gui's, quality sounds, and don't install their product's content like a drunken tornado.

The significant management/ownership changes at NI suggests things behind closed doors are getting interesting. Maybe even an android hardware interface, NKS midi keyboard, and bundled Kontakt version will emerge...that would be some largely untouched market territory, and international in scale. Things are already very crowded near the top.
Cheers

(historical note: Wusikstation was an early synth/rompler hybrid, and all of the soundsets, presets, waveforms, effects and sundries were installed in a single location, VstPlugins/Wusikstation/Data. The NI installation flowchart,
when put on a poster, could keep a buffalo warm)
Old 11-29-2021, 08:09 PM   #66
Glennbo

Quote:
I have no idea what the total number of SFZ files would be, but I'm sure it's a similarly large number.

One of the reasons I like Disco DSP's Bliss Sampler, is that I can easily create SFZ files from just about anything that can then be used with LinuxSampler. I absolutely love that Bliss Sampler has the ability to export to SFZ format! I can sample VST instruments as well. It's a pretty cool tool!
I haven't had much need for converting, but if there were a way to convert the Kontakt Factory Library, that would be one I would want. I find that most the instruments in that stock factory library are really nice playing samples, that do justice to the real instruments they are trying to emulate.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:13 PM   #67
Glennbo

Quote:
They are already facing a major re-write just to fend off competition that has supplied modern gui's, quality sounds, and don't install their product's content like a drunken tornado.

The significant management/ownership changes at NI suggests things behind closed doors are getting interesting. Maybe even an android hardware interface, NKS midi keyboard, and bundled Kontakt version will emerge...that would be some largely untouched market territory, and international in scale. Things are already very crowded near the top.
Cheers

(historical note: Wusikstation was an early synth/rompler hybrid, and all of the soundsets, presets, waveforms, effects and sundries were installed in a single location, VstPlugins/Wusikstation/Data. The NI installation flowchart,
when put on a poster, could keep a buffalo warm)
If they would just convert their factory library to .gig or .sfz I'd buy it!

I'd be able to load the sounds in LinuxSampler and they wouldn't have to spend any time or resources coding new stuff.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:23 PM   #68
audiojunkie

Quote:
I haven't had much need for converting, but if there were a way to convert the Kontakt Factory Library, that would be one I would want. I find that most the instruments in that stock factory library are really nice playing samples, that do justice to the real instruments they are trying to emulate.
I don’t see that there would be anything wrong with using bliss to make SFZ Instruments out of native instrument’s factory library, if it is only for personal use. I’m quite sure it could be done through bliss.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:41 PM   #69
Glennbo

Quote:
I don’t see that there would be anything wrong with using bliss to make SFZ Instruments out of native instrument’s factory library, if it is only for personal use. I’m quite sure it could be done through bliss.
Kontak's library consists of proprietary .nki format files though.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:13 PM   #70
4duhwinnn

And the people in the win-mac realm who are pirates, would love to access unlocked wave files from the various sound library providers. The pirates criminal greed and laziness drive up prices for honest hard working customers, and great products are saddled with complex protections, just to keep their businesses alive. On the bright side, Pianobook library is growing, and I usually find a few new soundsets every month.
Cheers
Old 11-30-2021, 04:32 AM   #71
audiojunkie

Quote:
Kontak's library consists of proprietary .nki format files though.
Bliss autosamples vst patches and creates the SFZ for you. Then, you save it as a SFZ and use it in LinuxSampler. Go read about the capabilities of Bliss’ VST sampling and you’ll understand what I’m talking about.

Like I said, you already own the VST, so as long as you remain a licensed owner and as long as the SFZs you make are for personal use only, I don’t think you’ll have problems.

Last edited by audiojunkie; 11-30-2021 at 04:42 AM.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:50 AM   #72
Glennbo

Quote:
Bliss autosamples vst patches and creates the SFZ for you. Then, you save it as a SFZ and use it in LinuxSampler. Go read about the capabilities of Bliss’ VST sampling and you’ll understand what I’m talking about.

Like I said, you already own the VST, so as long as you remain a licensed owner and as long as the SFZs you make are for personal use only, I don’t think you’ll have problems.
Sounds like from what I've read that it plays the other VSTi and samples the result. I used to have a tool like that in Windows, but it didn't really catch all the nuance and inflection that the samples contained because it wasn't actually reading the original sample while writing a converted version of it.

I had another tool though that could really read directly from the samples and write out other formats.

In reality, I would only be interested in trying to convert my Kontakt library if I could point a conversion tool at the folder where all the .nki files live, and have it create automatically, the whole library and structure, so that instruments are grouped the same, but in another format.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:15 AM   #73
audiojunkie

Quote:
Sounds like from what I've read that it plays the other VSTi and samples the result. I used to have a tool like that in Windows, but it didn't really catch all the nuance and inflection that the samples contained because it wasn't actually reading the original sample while writing a converted version of it.

I had another tool though that could really read directly from the samples and write out other formats.

In reality, I would only be interested in trying to convert my Kontakt library if I could point a conversion tool at the folder where all the .nki files live, and have it create automatically, the whole library and structure, so that instruments are grouped the same, but in another format.
Ah, well... What you say is true. It likely wouldn't catch all the nuance and inflection that the original Native Instrument patch would have--it would capture, loop, and multisample the original sample across multiple velocity layers (basic sampling), but you likely wouldn't capture the scripted stuff.

There is currently nothing that is capable of translating current .NKI files. I've got Chickensys' Translator, which is pretty much the best there is, and it can't do it. The only way to get the samples to SFZ would be the way I mentioned above, but you are right, the resulting SFZ file would be a looped, multi-velocity, multi-sampled SFZ instrumet, but wouldn't likely contain anything special that Native Instruments might add.

I keep meaning to multisample my Roland JV-1010 to SFZ format for personal use, but I haven't gotten around it. There are no special scripts to that, so I'm sure it would work pretty well. Those Native Instrument scripts that allow you to strum and such.......that would be lost in Bliss.

The closed format is one of the main reasons I hate .NKI files and Kontakt. I'm jealous of all of the available libraries, but I hate the closed nature of the tool.

Last edited by audiojunkie; 11-30-2021 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:00 AM   #74
Glennbo

Quote:
Ah, well... What you say is true. It likely wouldn't catch all the nuance and inflection that the original Native Instrument patch would have--it would capture, loop, and multisample the original sample across multiple velocity layers (basic sampling), but you likely wouldn't capture the scripted stuff.
The tool I used to have in Windows did essentially the same thing. Seems like it was called "Sample-It".

Quote:
There is currently nothing that is capable of translating current .NKI files. I've got Chickensys' Translator, which is pretty much the best there is, and it can't do it. The only way to get the samples to SFZ would be the way I mentioned above, but you are right, the resulting SFZ file would be a looped, multi-velocity, multi-sampled SFZ instrumet, but wouldn't likely contain anything special that Native Instruments might add.
For me, it is the playability of the instruments included in Kontakt's Factory Library that make them special. All the nuance and articulations are the draw for me, and they would get lost in anything but a conversion that creates the same functionality in another format, like .gig that supports most of the special stuff.

Quote:
I keep meaning to multisample my Roland JV-1010 to SFZ format for personal use, but I haven't gotten around it. There are no special scripts to that, so I'm sure it would work pretty well. Those Native Instrument scripts that allow you to strum and such.......that would be lost in Bliss.
Before I got rid of my Roland SC880, I used that Sample-It program to grab the Trumpet, Trombone, Tenor Sax, and Bari-Sax.

The grabbed versions are okay, but do not have the sparkle that made them sound so great being played on the Roland hardware. I still have those samples but never use them. When I need a horn section in a project, I have a REAPER template that puts Kontakt on a track, followed by four midi tracks for Bari-Sax, Sax-Section, Trombone, and Trumpet.

Quote:
The closed format is one of the main reasons I hate .NKI files and Kontakt. I'm jealous of all of the available libraries, but I hate the closed nature of the tool.
The factory library is why I continue to use Kontakt. It's one of the very few Windows plugins I use in Linux.

Last edited by Glennbo; 11-30-2021 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:29 PM   #75
audiojunkie

Quote:
The tool I used to have in Windows did essentially the same thing. Seems like it was called "Sample-It".

For me, it is the playability of the instruments included in Kontakt's Factory Library that make them special. All the nuance and articulations are the draw for me, and they would get lost in anything but a conversion that creates the same functionality in another format, like .gig that supports most of the special stuff.

Before I got rid of my Roland SC880, I used that Sample-It program to grab the Trumpet, Trombone, Tenor Sax, and Bari-Sax.

The grabbed versions are okay, but do not have the sparkle that made them sound so great being played on the Roland hardware. I still have those samples but never use them. When I need a horn section in a project, I have a REAPER template that puts Kontakt on a track, followed by four midi tracks for Bari-Sax, Sax-Section, Trombone, and Trumpet.

The factory library is why I continue to use Kontakt. It's one of the very few Windows plugins I use in Linux.
On the topic of Windows plugins (and bringing the thread back to original topic), I believe the recommended preference for where people should source their files should be, depending upon their distro preference (and sources listed in order of source safety and quality/reliability preference):

For Ubuntu/Ubuntu Studio users:

* Ubuntu Repositories
* XKStudio Repositories
* Other trusted PPA Repositories
* Developer hosted DEB files
* Flatpak or WINE + yabridge
* Source code

For Arch family (AUR compatible distros):

* Main distro repository
* Arch User Repository
* Developer hosted Arch packages
* Flatpak, or WINE + yabridge, or Developer hosted DEB files converted with Debtap & installed with pacman
* source code

For AV Linux users:

I don't know enough about AV Linux's capabilities to have an opinion on it yet, but AV Linux is also a viable option for users.

Last edited by audiojunkie; 11-30-2021 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Edits are for clarity and completeness
Old 11-30-2021, 03:59 PM   #76
audiojunkie

Here is a useful article for those who don't know how to use ldd:

https://www.xmodulo.com/check-librar...ess-linux.html

In a case where something isn't working correctly, this command can be run to see what the dependencies are for the program you are trying to execute. Then you can compare and see if your system is missing any of these dependencies.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:09 PM   #77
audiojunkie

Along with needing to know what dependencies the executable needs through ldd, it is important to find what libraries your system actually has. This way, you can determine what you are missing, and then install the missing libraries.

https://serverfault.com/questions/54...y-is-installed

To do this in a distro-independent* fashion you can use ldconfig with grep, like this:

ldconfig -p | grep libjpeg

If libjpeg is not installed, there will be no output. If it is installed, you will get a line for each version available.

Replace libjpeg by any library you want, and you have a generic, distro-independent* way of checking for library availability.

If for some reason the path to ldconfig is not set, you can try to invoke it using its full path, usually /sbin/ldconfig.

**99% of the times*

Last edited by audiojunkie; 11-30-2021 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:14 PM   #78
audiojunkie

Here is the Man page for ldconfig:

https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/ldconfig.8.html

This is a useful tool to go along with ldd to correct missing dependencies when they arise.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:20 PM   #79
4duhwinnn

Quote:
but AV Linux is also a viable option for users.
I have the two most recent versions installed, they come with working
wine-staging 6.2, wineasio, and linvst. Reaper and other daw demos,
and plugin demos are in /opt

A nice range of linux native instruments and effects are at hand,
and qjackctl scripts are set up for immediate effective use, so you can hear
youtube in firefox, play spotify/netflix etc for jamtracks etc.

A very complete linux audio experience out-of-the-box.
I've added yabridge, and it works well.
Cheers
Old 12-01-2021, 01:29 PM   #80
audiojunkie

Quote:
I have the two most recent versions installed, they come with working
wine-staging 6.2, wineasio, and linvst. Reaper and other daw demos,
and plugin demos are in /opt

A nice range of linux native instruments and effects are at hand,
and qjackctl scripts are set up for immediate effective use, so you can hear
youtube in firefox, play spotify/netflix etc for jamtracks etc.

A very complete linux audio experience out-of-the-box.
I've added yabridge, and it works well.
Cheers
Cool! It's now based off of MX Linux, isn't it? How is the compatibility with the XKStudio repository? Or does it already come installed with everything that would be in the repository? Would you call it a complete solution? I imagine that it only lacks commercial apps.