Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-14-2015, 06:07 PM   #1
TFF
Human being with feelings

Default Beatstep Pro - Does it play nice?

I'm thinking about picking one up to use with Reaper, but I wanted to see if anyone has experience using the two together. I'd like them to run from the same clock (either Reaper's or the Beatstep's) and use the Beatstep sequencer to send midi notes into Reaper. Has anyone had issues with this?
TFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:36 AM   #2
vanhaze

Interesting question ; would also like this to know.
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:25 AM   #3
Mink99

Highly recommended,

If you are using midi and analog cv/gate based gear, this will be a great enhancement for your setup. If you have a usb power supply it will also run standalone.

It can even be used as a midi/cv converter on hz/v or oct/volt , perfect for ms20 or Yamaha cs users, the 0 volt base tone can be shifted for analog synths that do not have a "C" as 0 volt base tone (Roland sh-5) , can provide midi clock to Roland clock (tr808) or 16th clock conversion. So you can even sync a pocket operator po12 or a boss dr220 or a korg vodka drums .(all tested)

You will have two independent monophonic tracks, midi or cv , and one drum track.

Go to the next store and test it. It's worth every cent.

Integration into reaper was very straight forward for me, as reaper sent a midi clock (grmpfh...) which was received by the bs . The bs midi output is then directly routed by a midi patchbay to the receiving synth, the output of this synt is then recorded as audio. The recorded sequence I am able to transposed or modifed in realtime through a midi keyboard or directly on the knobs & buttons.

Of course the midi output can also be recorded back to reaper....

Last edited by Mink99; 08-15-2015 at 05:34 AM.
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:41 AM   #4
unmixed

Whats the build like on the BSP,Arturia aint got that good of a rep lately with the SE MB
unmixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:12 AM   #5
Mink99

Mine is built like a tank, but from other colleagues some doubts have been issued on the faders/pots, which I have not experienced. 30 day money back....

Most important : it is heavy, so it will not skip or fall by the weight of the plugs.
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:55 AM   #6
TFF

Awesome, thanks for the info! Still a little iffy if I'll pick one up but it's good to know it does what I need.
TFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:47 PM   #7
carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink99 View Post
Highly recommended,

Integration into reaper was very straight forward for me, as reaper sent a midi clock (grmpfh...) which was received by the bs . The bs midi output is then directly routed by a midi patchbay to the receiving synth, the output of this synt is then recorded as audio. The recorded sequence I am able to transposed or modifed in realtime through a midi keyboard or directly on the knobs & buttons.

Of course the midi output can also be recorded back to reaper....
Can REAPER be also slave to BeatStep?
Old 08-31-2017, 05:38 PM   #8
Riinehart

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm having an issue I can't seem to figure out.

What I'd like to do: Sync my Beatstep Pro to reaper, so I can use it to sequence some modular gear.

Everything works fine, so long as I use the internal clock of the BSP. However, if I slave it to Reaper (which is what I want, to keep in time with the project I'm working on), there's some kind of midi message mix-up, where as soon as I hit Play, something seems to be simultaneously hitting Pause. So basically I get just a little stutter and immediate stop every time I press Play.

This happens whether I press play on the BSP, or if I press Play in Reaper.

Again, no issue at all if I sync the BSP to INT.

Has anyone been through this problem? Any ideas? Is there something simple I'm missing?

Many thanks!
Riinehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:58 PM   #9
CountZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riinehart View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm having an issue I can't seem to figure out.

What I'd like to do: Sync my Beatstep Pro to reaper, so I can use it to sequence some modular gear.

Everything works fine, so long as I use the internal clock of the BSP. However, if I slave it to Reaper (which is what I want, to keep in time with the project I'm working on), there's some kind of midi message mix-up, where as soon as I hit Play, something seems to be simultaneously hitting Pause. So basically I get just a little stutter and immediate stop every time I press Play.

This happens whether I press play on the BSP, or if I press Play in Reaper.

Again, no issue at all if I sync the BSP to INT.

Has anyone been through this problem? Any ideas? Is there something simple I'm missing?

Many thanks!
Hi!

New user here and I'm having this exact issue with my BSP. Whenever a track is armed and I hit record it seems to send a burst of start/stop messages. Did anyone find a resolution to this problem?

Thanks!
CountZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:52 PM   #10
wyleegee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountZero View Post
Hi!

New user here and I'm having this exact issue with my BSP. Whenever a track is armed and I hit record it seems to send a burst of start/stop messages. Did anyone find a resolution to this problem?

Thanks!
Did you ever get a solution to this?
Old 02-10-2019, 05:07 AM   #11
wyleegee

I disabled the transport entirely in the BSPs midi editor utility.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #12
TonE

Yes, you are missing this.
http://antonsavov.net/cms/projects/as_xc3.html
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:23 PM   #13
foxAsteria

It's quite a nice MIDI controller. I only use it that way and it's great for that.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #14
shmuelyosef

Works fine for me...but took some details to get past problems like yours...see THIS POST
Old 04-21-2019, 11:14 AM   #15
maxdembo

I've recently had this problem.

My solution was to set up BSP's transport in the control/osc/web with mackie control. Works flawlessly.
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:38 PM   #16
themixtape

I LOVE my Beatstep and Beatstep Pro. For general midi controller, it excels... it's so nice having SIXTEEN banks of 16 endless encoders, assigned to whatever. And the pads can be CCs too... quickly switch between sequencer mode or controller mode.

Not only that but it's just fun to use, sync'd to a Reaper VST synth... just a blast. Set the scale, turn the knobs, hit random pads... instant melody.

Arturia just does things right, for the most part. I would consider myself a fanboy.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:07 PM   #17
shmuelyosef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyleegee View Post
I disabled the transport entirely in the BSPs midi editor utility.
THANX! I just set Transports to OFF in MCC and everything works fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape
Not only that but it's just fun to use, sync'd to a Reaper VST synth... just a blast.
I agree with this...I have matching profiles set up on the Beatstep and an old MPD18 (with the MPCstuff.com hotrod kit) and I can play sequences with the MPD18 into the BSP pro (skipping the inferior pads on the BSP) and edit them (gate and velo) until I like them then just hit record and I have sequence in Reaper. I mostly do that with some customized AddictiveDrums kits, but also use it to drive the TR808 kit in my old Roland SoundCanvas and then just record MIDI and Audio when I like it.

I just got the MiniBrute 2S off Reverb and ordered a Keystep for some polyphonic sequencing on my other synths (in particular I'm not enamored of the sequencer in my OB-6, but love everything else about it so looking forward to having a live recording capability with the OB-6 (and other pieces of kit).

I guess that I, too, am becoming an Arturia fanboy...the MiniBrute 2S really impressed me and the BSP has followed...

Last edited by shmuelyosef; 06-23-2019 at 02:27 PM.
shmuelyosef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:17 PM   #18
maxdembo

I think I'm probably about to run into trouble with all this again

I'm now just wanting Reaper to be a slave to the BSP. I just want Reaper to play when I hit play on the BSP, but what I really want is the Roller/Looper to make Reaper just be a BFD drum machine.

Fingers crossed I can figure it out all over again!

EDIT: If anyone reading this has achieved the same aim, a pointer in the right direction would be very appreciated I also seemed to have completely forgotten how to make the BSP control Reapers tempo. Back to square one

Last edited by maxdembo; 09-30-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:26 PM   #19
prom

Slaving REAPER to MIDI Sequencer Software
REAPER can be slaved to a software MIDI sequencer (such as Temper) as well as to an actual hardware device. You will also need some virtual MIDI cable software, such as the highly popular MIDI Yoke. Here is an overview:

1.Use MIDI Yoke to install a virtual MIDI cable to send MIDI out from your other program and in to REAPER.
2.Start REAPER. Go to Preferences, Audio, MIDI Devices. Right click over the MIDI device labelled In from MIDI Yoke: 1 (or similar) and choose Enable input for control messages. OK preferences.
3.Right-click REAPER's Play button, enable the Enable synchronization to timecode box option (see right) and enable playback, recording, or both. Select the required MIDI input port (in this example MTC: In from MIDI Yoke 1). When you close this dialog box, the play button will display a small padlock and the tooltip slave to timecode.. Engaging this play button will now mean it is ready and waiting for. sync input.
4.In the external program, add a MIDI track and direct its output to the same MIDI Yoke cable as you used for input in REAPER. You may also need to enable Send MTC (Midi Time Code) in this program. How you do this in any specific program will of course depend on its own features, interface and capabilities. You will now be ready to go.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Maybe this will jog your cells toward what you know you need.
I dunno!? Good luck - pretty sure it's along these lines.
Also ....Kenny video on subject at Reaper Mania I believe.
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:31 PM   #20
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by prom View Post
Slaving REAPER to MIDI Sequencer Software
REAPER can be slaved to a software MIDI sequencer (such as Temper) as well as to an actual hardware device. You will also need some virtual MIDI cable software, such as the highly popular MIDI Yoke. Here is an overview:

1.Use MIDI Yoke to install a virtual MIDI cable to send MIDI out from your other program and in to REAPER.
2.Start REAPER. Go to Preferences, Audio, MIDI Devices. Right click over the MIDI device labelled In from MIDI Yoke: 1 (or similar) and choose Enable input for control messages. OK preferences.
3.Right-click REAPER's Play button, enable the Enable synchronization to timecode box option (see right) and enable playback, recording, or both. Select the required MIDI input port (in this example MTC: In from MIDI Yoke 1). When you close this dialog box, the play button will display a small padlock and the tooltip slave to timecode.. Engaging this play button will now mean it is ready and waiting for. sync input.
4.In the external program, add a MIDI track and direct its output to the same MIDI Yoke cable as you used for input in REAPER. You may also need to enable Send MTC (Midi Time Code) in this program. How you do this in any specific program will of course depend on its own features, interface and capabilities. You will now be ready to go.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Maybe this will jog your cells toward what you know you need.
I dunno!? Good luck - pretty sure it's along these lines.
Also ....Kenny video on subject at Reaper Mania I believe.
Thanks! I shall look into all this and rewatch any relevant Kenny videos. Excellent. Appreciated
Old 09-30-2019, 07:14 PM   #21
maxdembo

Hmm...

So BFD3 in standalone mode works as I would hope Reaper would work - BSP transport starts playing BFD and the tempo knob on BSP changes the BPM in BFD.

BFD standalone also sends MIDI data out so hopefully with the above info, and midiyoke etc I'm hoping I can get Reaper to obey BFD's tempo?

BSP's roller/looper sends out CC data so hopefully I can figure out how to use that in some capacity within Reaper.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:52 PM   #22
maxdembo

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get midi yoke (and many other similar apps) to work (win 10, latest reaper) to connect standalone bfd to reaper.

Nor can I figure out how to slave Reaper to bfd or the BSP's tempo.

I just had an idea tho... Maybe I can MIDI learn the tempo envelope to the tempo knob on the BSP and open BFD within Reaper and do it that way?

Or MIDI learn the BSP tempo knob to the playrate of Reaper and do it that way instead?

Does anyone know if those would work and of any limitations I may come across trying such a solution?

Thanks!