Old 07-13-2018, 02:39 PM   #1
Tyrannocaster
Human being with feelings

Default How do I constrain mouse movement in the midi editor?

I have searched for this, but I must have been using the wrong teams, as I couldn't find it. I want to edit a midi track that is not synced to the beat, and I want to keep the notes' movement in one axis - the vertical one. Of course I want to be able to move them around in time too, but that's a different issue and I can already do that. I really need a way to just move them up and down without them going to one side at all. I have found this to be a problem in timed tracks too, if the note is not on the grid and you have snap turned on, as the note often snaps to the grid when you don't want it to.

It's probably some key combination that I just don't know about, right? I know I can use an action to move the note up by a half-step, but this is clumsy when you need to go very far, so I'd like to drag it with the mouse.
Tyrannocaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:50 PM   #2
Tyrannocaster

The suggestion I found in another thread to turn on locking in the main toolbar and then set it to prevent left/right movement seemed great until I found out it doesn't work on notes in the midi editor. :-(

Another thread said that you can set Mouse Modifiers to move notes only vertically, which would seem perfect...only it doesn't work. I set up ctrl+shift for this movement with the mouse and the notes still go from side to side.

Last edited by Tyrannocaster; 07-13-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:54 PM   #3
enroe

I have the same problem:

How to move notes in the note-editor vertically without
changing their time position? I still have no solution.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:59 PM   #4
_Stevie_

Hm, I just tried that and the mouse modifier setting "move note vertically" and "move note horizontally" both work here. What's a bit unpredictable, though, is "move note on one axis only".

Old 07-13-2018, 06:09 PM   #5
enroe

Thank you Stevie!

I must have overlooked these mouse-modifier-
settings ...
Old 07-13-2018, 06:10 PM   #6
_Stevie_

You're welcome
Old 07-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #7
Tyrannocaster

Hey, now mine is working. I am not sure what I did differently from last time, but it seems to work now. For anybody else, the setting I have is Options/Preferences/Mouse Modifiers, context is MIDI note, left drag, and I use Shift+Ctrl, set to Move Note/In one direction only, and ticking Vertically. (In other words, this is what_Stevie_ did, too.) This is how I set it before I wrote that earlier post, LOL! Only it works now! Let's see what it does tomorrow. :-) For the moment, I'm happy, as this would let me do what I want easily.

One question - let's say I don't want to move a note, instead I want to duplicate it and then move it (to add a harmony). To do this, I use Ctrl+drag, but the note can drift to the side before I can Ctrl+Shift drag it up. Is there a way to prevent that? I can't just copy the note and then paste it, because it comes out in a different place.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:35 PM   #8
_Stevie_

Maybe you forgot to press "apply". Happens to me all the time :P
Old 07-13-2018, 09:01 PM   #9
hopi

I do it differently...

I have the actions to move notes up, down, by one semitone assigned to the up and down arrow keys and then left and right by one grid unit the left and right arrow keys

I think the default assignments are num pad keys 8, 2 and 4, 6 like gamers use... but I like the arrow keys better
Old 07-14-2018, 10:32 AM   #10
Tyrannocaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
I do it differently...

I have the actions to move notes up, down, by one semitone assigned to the up and down arrow keys and then left and right by one grid unit the left and right arrow keys

I think the default assignments are num pad keys 8, 2 and 4, 6 like gamers use... but I like the arrow keys better
Yes, that works, too. I also changed my keys to the same ones you use - it does seem a lot more logical. But I find it easier to do the kinds of things I normally use this function for if I use the mouse rather than the key commands.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #11
hopi

mouse mods for MIDI note

there is one for Move note on one axis only

that will let you move vertically with the mouse cursor

and another one:

Move note vertically ignoring scale/key