Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-11-2018, 06:36 PM   #1
CEART
Human being with feelings

Default One EQ for multiple items/parameters.

Hi, is possible in Reaper to use a single instance of FX for multiple items on a track? I want to have an EQ with different frequency parameters for each item being played sequentially in a track. For example, ITEM 01: high pass, ITEM 02: Low Pass, ITEM 03: 3.5 KHZ boost, and so on. In my job at office, sometimes I have to compile hundreds of small answering/adv audio spots, which come from very different audio sources, I can't imagine using an EQ instance for each one.
it would be fantastic in Reaper if the frequency parameters could be adjusted to each item, from a single EQ for all. How could it be achieved? automation? change of preset in each item for the EQ?
I would like to hear ideas about it.

- thanks -
CEART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:58 PM   #2
Lokasenna

If you really, really wanted to you could create a separate band for each item and automate the Bypass parameters for every band so only one is active at a time.

Seems like a lot of very messy work though. Putting an EQ on each item makes much more sense IMO.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:43 AM   #3
JeffreyET

maybe use a bus of some tracks (with different eq settings) and send as needed?
Oh wait I just saw you have items in the same track that you want to eq differently.
Whats wrong with placing the items that require the same eq in the same track, which has that eq?
Old 08-14-2018, 04:19 PM   #4
CEART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
If you really, really wanted to you could create a separate band for each item and automate the Bypass parameters for every band so only one is active at a time.

Seems like a lot of very messy work though. Putting an EQ on each item makes much more sense IMO.
Thanks! u right, yes, it could be cumbersome to create so many amount of automated bypassable EQ curves dealing with such lot of parameters.
As an idea, it would be great to any chance for some script let FX presets be triggered by MIDI CC or Pgm Ch. I think Cubase sometime did let me do it by tweaking into its advanced automation configuration.
But to date, I'm still not entirely clear on the scope and limitations of the Reaper script.

BTW, your Theory Helper JSFX (and other coding form you) look awesome! one of my next tries in my homework list. Kudos!
Old 08-14-2018, 04:24 PM   #5
CEART

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyET View Post
maybe use a bus of some tracks (with different eq settings) and send as needed?
Oh wait I just saw you have items in the same track that you want to eq differently.
Whats wrong with placing the items that require the same eq in the same track, which has that eq?
Thanks, it looks like a good idea for clips of a similar type, which are +-/ about 25% of total sometimes. For the rest there are very different frequency scopes, as they come individually from plenty of assorted sources.

~cheers~
Old 08-15-2018, 09:42 AM   #6
ashcat_lt

Do you have a good reason not to just dial in the EQ the way you want it for a given item and then render it? I know it kind of defeats the point of non-destructive editing (though it's not actually destroying anything), but how often do you go back to tweak these things once you get them set? Tweak the EQ, "Apply Track/Take FX as new take", move on. Maybe save it as a preset for recall purposes.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:40 AM   #7
Philbo King

An option would be to put the EQ in the track effects, then create envelopes to set each EQ parameter as need for each clip.

It sounds likee what you really need is a spectrum matcher that would read the spectrum of some reference audio then apply that spectrum to anumber of items.