Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 04-12-2020, 07:50 AM   #1
AndrewGl
Human being with feelings

Default Automatic record-arm tracks for 2 keyboards

Hello, I play 2 keyboards simultaneously. I defined 3 VSTi tacks for each keyboard so that the project contains 6 different instruments: 3 with MIDI input from 1st keyboard, 3 with MIDI input from 2nd keyboard.

Action "Automatic record-arm when track selected" arms a single track from all 6 tracks and dis-arms all other tracks. This is good for a single keyboard.

I need, however, to do this separately for the two keyboards, without using the mouse, like this:

Pressing Key 1 record-arms track 1 and dis-arms only tracks 2,3
Pressing Key 2 record-arms track 2 and dis-arms only tracks 1,3
Pressing Key 3 record-arms track 3 and dis-arms only tracks 1,2
Pressing Key 4 record-arms track 4 and dis-arms only tracks 5,6
Pressing Key 5 record-arms track 5 and dis-arms only tracks 4,6
Pressing Key 6 record-arms track 6 and dis-arms only tracks 4,5

(Actually, in this rig I also have 3rd keyboard, but its track is record-armed constantly).

If this is possible, can you please send me some hints, or still better, more details how to do this. Several times I tried to comprehend Live Configs, SWS/Xenakios, but without detailed explanations this appears to be difficult...

Thank you in advance!
AndrewGl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:21 AM   #2
solger

If the track order (1-6) always stays the same, one possible option is to make Custom Actions for each: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#15Evzb7rWCo

Here's an example Custom Action for record-arms track 1 and dis-arms only tracks 2,3:
Code:
Track: Select track 01
Xenakios/SWS: Set selected tracks record armed
Track: Select track 02
Xenakios/SWS: Set selected tracks record unarmed
Track: Select track 03
Track: Unselect all tracks
As a side note:
  • The 'Track: Select track' Actions will also unselect already selected tracks automatically (so they don't require the use of an additional 'Track: Unselect all tracks' before)
  • Without the last step (Unselect all tracks), Track 03 remains selected last

Last edited by solger; 04-12-2020 at 10:13 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:42 AM   #3
AndrewGl

Thanks @solger, it works OK!

BTW (some constructive critics of Reaper interface):

For me as a performer, the only enemy is the mouse, which is impossible to apply without killing the performance session. Custom Actions & Shortcuts naturally replace it: during a performance, it is very easy to hit a prepared key for immediate replacement of the actively played instrument.

For me as a programmer, it would be easier to create custom actions by mimicking a work with the menu but without the mouse. Why not provide the user with Actions for all the callback functions, which are activated by the menu?

This would not only transform any user into a programmer. In this way, some 3rd-party users could easily create new environments for specific musical goals.

Kind regards,
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
If the track order (1-6) always stays the same, one possible option is to make Custom Actions for each: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#15Evzb7rWCo

Here's an example Custom Action for record-arms track 1 and dis-arms only tracks 2,3:
Code:
Track: Select track 01
Xenakios/SWS: Set selected tracks record armed
Track: Select track 02
Track: Select track 03
Track: Unselect all tracks
As a side note:
  • The 'Track: Select track' Actions will also unselect already selected tracks automatically (so they don't require the use of an additional 'Track: Unselect all tracks' before)
  • Without the last step (Unselect all tracks), Track 03 remains selected last
Old 04-13-2020, 06:21 AM   #4
solger

Quote:
Thanks @solger, it works OK!
Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGl View Post
For me as a programmer, it would be easier to create custom actions by mimicking a work with the menu but without the mouse. Why not provide the user with Actions for all the callback functions, which are activated by the menu?
Can you maybe describe a short example about what you mean, exactly?

In case you didn't know it already: a lot of things are already possible via scripts (if Cycle or Custom Actions aren't enough):
Old 04-13-2020, 11:54 AM   #5
AndrewGl

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Great

Can you maybe describe a short example about what you mean, exactly?

In case you didn't know it already: a lot of things are already possible via scripts (if Cycle or Custom Actions aren't enough):
Thank you for the programming links. What I mean is more modest and simple, and it does not require training in C++, nor the knowledge of the specific DLL & API & compiling & link administration.

Consider Reaper menu with all its screen interfaces as they are now: tabs, forms, menu trees, list boxes etc. Every clickable item typically has a flying-help box with a unique text. For instance, in my current screen, a radio button Track2->Record Arm/Disarm can be clicked by a mouse.

If I had Actions like this:

"Click Left Mouse Button on Track2->Record Arm/Disarm" ,

I probably would be able to do what I need using such Actions. Automatic generation of all possible Actions of this kind does not seem to be difficult given the menu implementation code. No need to invent special Action names for the callback functions: they will be generated from the existing menu code automatically, and they will be automatically refreshed once the the screen interface is changed.

The advantage of this scheme is its simplicity for the user, who is assumed to be accustomed to the existing menu/list-boxes/forms/buttons. No need to browse thousands of Actions in the Actions List, no need to guess what is the semantics of this and that Action.

Sorry if Reaper already has this in some form and I overlooked it.

Kind regards,
Andrew
Old 04-17-2020, 09:40 AM   #6
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGl View Post
Consider Reaper menu with all its screen interfaces as they are now: tabs, forms, menu trees, list boxes etc. Every clickable item typically has a flying-help box with a unique text. For instance, in my current screen, a radio button Track2->Record Arm/Disarm can be clicked by a mouse.

If I had Actions like this:

"Click Left Mouse Button on Track2->Record Arm/Disarm" ,

I probably would be able to do what I need using such Actions. Automatic generation of all possible Actions of this kind does not seem to be difficult given the menu implementation code. No need to invent special Action names for the callback functions: they will be generated from the existing menu code automatically, and they will be automatically refreshed once the the screen interface is changed.

The advantage of this scheme is its simplicity for the user, who is assumed to be accustomed to the existing menu/list-boxes/forms/buttons. No need to browse thousands of Actions in the Actions List, no need to guess what is the semantics of this and that Action.

Sorry if Reaper already has this in some form and I overlooked it.
Thanks for the example.

Sounds to me like some kind of macro record function. As far as I know, there is no such function in Reaper at the moment.
Some things in this direction might perhaps be possible with external tools like AutoHotKey (Windows) or Keyboard Maestro (macOS).

Here's a thread which I found about this topic: https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=205654.

Last edited by solger; 04-17-2020 at 10:22 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote