Old 08-09-2018, 08:45 AM   #1
Kaitain
Human being with feelings

Default OSC send FX parameters

Hi all

I'd like Reaper to send all the the plugin parameters values to the controller when a plugin window is selected (clicked). Is this even possible? So far I haven't found a way...

Any ideas?

Thank you!
Kaitain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:55 AM   #2
mschnell

E.g. by doing a (Python) script and/or use "Beyond".

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:14 AM   #3
Kaitain

Thank you for your answer Michael!

Can you explain it a little more? I'm very noob with this OSC thing... ^^U
Right now, as my device is a USB controller, I'm using OSCII-bot and I've written a script to transform incoming MIDI messages from the controller to OSC messages to Reaper. This works.

Also the comunication in the other way (from Reaper to OSCII-bot) works too: if I change something in Reaper I can see the OSC messages in the OSCII-bot log. But i don't know how to tell Reaper to send the parameters values when I click in a plugin window...

Cheers!
Old 08-09-2018, 12:22 PM   #4
GeckoLikesMartini

Hi,

in my Lemur-template (ReaperControl 2) I used:

s/fx/fxParVal@/content

It shows the parameter value(s) of the currently selected or focused plugin. Unfortunately you can't define the order in which the values show up this way.

Look into the Default.ReaperOSC for further instructions.

Regards, mj
GeckoLikesMartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #5
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post
Thank my device is a USB controller, I'm using OSCII-bot and I've written a script to transform incoming MIDI messages from the controller to OSC messages to Reaper. This works.
If you want to use the device as a controller (with feedback) for Reaper you should search the forum for "surface" and/ or take a look at this thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:13 PM   #6
ThrashJazzAssassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post
how to tell Reaper to send the parameters values when I click in a plugin window
There's an option in default.ReaperOSC that may do what you would like. I've not tried it though.

Code:
# DEVICE_FX_FOLLOWS determines whether the selected FX in the device changes only 
# when the  device changes it, or if it follows the last touched or currently focused
# FX in the REAPER window.
# Allowed values: DEVICE, LAST_TOUCHED, FOCUSED

# DEVICE_EQ determines whether sending any FX_EQ message will automatically insert
# ReaEQ on the target track if it does not exist, or the message will only affect
# an existing instance of ReaEQ.
# Allowed values: INSERT, EXISTING

# DEVICE_ROTARY_CENTER defines the argument that represents no change, for rotary 
# controls.
# Allowed values: 0, 0.5

REAPER_TRACK_FOLLOWS REAPER
DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS DEVICE
DEVICE_TRACK_BANK_FOLLOWS DEVICE
DEVICE_FX_FOLLOWS DEVICE <---------------change this to FOCUSED
There is also LBX SRD Smart knobs script which sends MIDI feedback from the focused plugin https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=204972
Old 08-11-2018, 07:30 AM   #7
Kaitain

Thank you all for all your answers.

GeckoLikesMartini, this:

s/fx/fxParVal@/content

Looks like this can do the trick, but unfortunatelly in the Default.ReaperOSC file there is no info about how to use it. Could you give me a hand here?

ThrashJazzAssassin, changing DEVICE_FX_FOLLOWS to FOCUSED in theory makes that the OSC device controls the selected plugin window (which is something I want also), but it doesn't send the plugin parameters back to the controller. Anyway, it doesn't work for me, I don't know why. I set it to FOCUSED, but if I want my controller to change any plugin parameter I have to select the track itself anyway. (there's no response when clicking only in the plugin window).

mschnell, thank you, I'm digging into the thread (it has lots of info)

Cheers
Alvaro
Old 08-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #8
Kaitain

Well, I got some progress here.

It turns out that I had 2 OSC devices in Reaper working at the same time (my USB device and Touch OSC in my phone). They had different configuration files with different set ups, so they where interfereing with each other.

Once I deleted the one from my phone it works! Here is my setup:

DEVICE_TRACK_COUNT 1
DEVICE_SEND_COUNT 0
DEVICE_RECEIVE_COUNT 0
DEVICE_FX_COUNT 1
DEVICE_FX_PARAM_COUNT 100
DEVICE_FX_INST_PARAM_COUNT 0
DEVICE_MARKER_COUNT 0
DEVICE_REGION_COUNT 0

REAPER_TRACK_FOLLOWS REAPER
DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS LAST_TOUCHED
DEVICE_FX_FOLLOWS FOCUSED

And also:

FX_PARAM_VALUE n/fxparam/@/value

With this setup the controller works with the focused plugin window, which is what I wanted .

Also, If I select a different track in Reaper by clicking on it (let's say track 1) the controller now works with the plugin track 1. Then is funny, but if I click on the plugin window belonging to other track (let's say track 2), the controller keeps working on track 1, until I select track 2. Then I can select again the plugin window that I want and the controller keeps focused on it. I said thst is a funny behaviour because it looks like a mix in between track select/focused plugin style. I like it, btw.

Now, I also noticed that when clicking on the plugin window Reaper sends back a lot of parameters. I guess these messages are precisely the ones I need to update the controller. So at the end it looks that Reaper did it automatically... which is cool.

Now I'm trying to figure out which message/value corresponds to which parameter. Till now with OSCii-bot I only have managed to see the param numbers (not names), and also I can't see the values.

Cheers!
Alvaro
Old 08-12-2018, 11:34 AM   #9
Kaitain

Okay, I found this:

https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1512002

And thanks to the script created by Banned now I can see all the parameters that comes from Reaper to OSCii-bot, in the OSCii-bot log.

The thing is that these feedback parameters looks a little random, or at least, like I stated in my previous post, they change in a way I cannot predict or control

So, the question now is how to control which parameters comes from Reaper when clicking on a track or a plugin window. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #10
Kaitain

In fact, as the original thread question was answered, I'm going to open a new thread with this new issue.