Old 10-12-2018, 07:05 AM   #1
Burnsjethro
Human being with feelings

Default Brushes and other sounds for Midi

My son has set up my Akai midi controller for me (I started the ball rolling thanks to a lesson by Kenny Gioia called First drum beat.)
I followed his suggestions and downloaded all the different sounds from the Reaper stash and then put the starting and ending note codes for the midi controllers (although when he put the values 48 that produced the code C2, while it produced C3 on my screen and all the other values brought up different midi controller keys to Kenny's! Any idea why?)

Anyhow, my son linked the various sounds to the eight pads I have on the controller so I can use those rather than the keys. Much more satisfying to play.
So I have everything I need except for drum brushes. There were three brushes in the stash but one didn't not work, the other produced a sound that would be impossible to use to play along with my tunes and the other was I kind of a plug-in that did not seem to serve my purppose.

I was looking for brushes with two different sounds that I could link to two pads and use to play along (like my kick, snare, kick, snare,...) with my recordings. Does that exist?

I also have a piano and hammon organ plug-o, for the keyboard but would like some other sounds (strings, cello, trumpet, sax) that I could play on the keyboard. Any idea where I could find these please?
I have one kind of a plug-in with different sounds but most of them are wierd sounds rather than conventional-sounding instruments.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Anton
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:50 AM   #2
DarkStar

The MIDI Note names - differing by 1 octave:
Different hardware manufacturers use different naming standards for MIDI notes.

So "middle C" (MIDI note #60) can be named C3, C4 or C5. No matter the name, the note is still the same.

You can change the names used in Reaper by setting "MIDI octave name display offset" in Preferences. Many user here set that to -1 ,so MIDI note #60 is named C3.

There are probably hundreds of thousands of drum and other instrument samples around.

I do not know your budget but .... perhaps you can consider plug-in into which you can load the sound libraries of your choice, be it acoustic drums, jazz drums, solos violins, woodwinds, organs, synths ....

If you can find a SoundFont (or sfz) sounds library then that can be loaded into several free players, including Sforzando and TW16Wx. Or get Kontakt or similar and go from there.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
Burnsjethro

Thanks a lot for your reply and advice.

Anton
Old 10-12-2018, 01:10 PM   #4
mschnell

(AFAIK) A great free drum kit for playing with pads is "DrumMic'a". But no brushes (Some time ago, I've unsuccessfully been searching for free brushes, too)

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:24 AM   #5
Burnsjethro

Thanks, Michael. Do you know of any pay-for brushes?

Anton
Old 10-13-2018, 05:11 AM   #6
mschnell

no

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote