Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-06-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
Thonex
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper not showing Mono input options for Altiverb

Hello fine people.

I'm about to embark on a pretty big mix and I'd like to use Reaper... already ported over most of my Key Commands etc... looking good!

Anyway... I need to add a mono verb ambiance to a mono mic, and my reverb of choice for this mic is Altiverb 7. In my usual DAW (Nuendo), when I assign Altiverb as a mono insert, Altiverb intelligently shows up as a Mono insert. For the life of me, I can't get Reaper to give me a mono input->output option.

Here is a pic of how it is in Nuendo (NOTE: the "mono" at the top right of the plugin and the mono routing.

How can I address this in reaper?

Thanks for any help:

Cheers,

Andrew K

Last edited by Thonex; 05-06-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Thonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:07 PM   #2
albatteur

Like that? Play with plug connector. One input, one output?

https://zupimages.net/up/18/18/pp0y.gif
albatteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:27 PM   #3
Thonex

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatteur View Post
Like that? Play with plug connector. One input, one output?

https://zupimages.net/up/18/18/pp0y.gif
Hi albatteur,

The problem is that Alitverb is showing up as a stereo processor on a mono track. For example, in Nuendo, the IRs show up as mono-mono as seen here:

Whereas Reaper has it as a stereo processor.... even the mono is mono -> stereo... not mono to mono:

I don't trust that Reaper is calling the correct AU or VST plugin for the track as a mono insert.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Andrew K
Old 05-06-2018, 03:41 PM   #4
Justin
Administrator

Are you using a VST2, VST3, or AU?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:49 PM   #5
Thonex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Are you using a VST2, VST3, or AU?
Hi Justin,

Thanks for chiming in... much appreciated.

I'm running AU on both Nuendo and Reaper.

[EDIT]... also, just tried Seventh Heavan Reverb... Nuendo will give me a mono-mono option... but Reaper is always 2in-2out.

Cheers,

Andrew K
Old 05-06-2018, 04:35 PM   #6
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thonex View Post
Hi Justin,

Thanks for chiming in... much appreciated.

I'm running AU on both Nuendo and Reaper.

[EDIT]... also, just tried Seventh Heavan Reverb... Nuendo will give me a mono-mono option... but Reaper is always 2in-2out.

Cheers,

Andrew K
Hmm, if you can try a VST3, there's a new option in 5.80 to allow forcing buses to mono for that plug-in instance which would help (to access it, right click the 2 in/2 out I/O button above the VST3 UI). I'll look at whether it will be possible to add this to AU.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:53 PM   #7
Thonex

Quote:
Hmm, if you can try a VST3, there's a new option in 5.80 to allow forcing buses to mono for that plug-in instance which would help (to access it, right click the 2 in/2 out I/O button above the VST3 UI). I'll look at whether it will be possible to add this to AU.
Thanks Justin. I am using 5.8+. I'll try to see what I can do with VST3... Although Alitverb is not showing up under any VST3 tabs in my applications... hmmm.

When doing orchestral mixing, it would be nice to have discrete control of mono sources and maintain a mono path until routed to whatever multichannel format - regardless of VST versioning. I haven't done a null test to see if Altiverb's "mono" is simply the Left or Right channel of their Stereo to Stereo IRs... or it it's a different IR altogether.

I'll see what I can do.. but this may be a show stopper for me on a big mix like this. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Andrew K

Last edited by Thonex; 05-06-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:03 PM   #8
Thonex

Quote:
OK... Hi again Justin,

I really appreciate your attention on this... I'm encouraged

Based on your instructions, I made a quick video and noticed that (if I'm doing this correctly), it's actually a 2 step process...

1) Right Click and choose mono
2) Left Click on choose L & R output pins

Does this seem correct to you?

Here is a quick video with audio examples:

Quick Video Demonstration of Mono FX

So based on this... AU and regular VST/2 are not supported for true mono inserts?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Andrew K

Last edited by Thonex; 05-07-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:03 PM   #9
Eliseat

Quote:

So based on this... AU and regular VST/2 are not supported for true mono inserts?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Andrew K
I don't get it. Reaper doesn't mind if stereo or mono. If your source is mono or just one part of your fx chain, the track gets mono. It has nothing to do with trust or real or unreal mono. It is mono, if your signal gets routed thru a mono plugin. Just summed left and right.

If you are not sure about that you could insert a JS like witti mono_master before your reverb, which sums up your signal. Then you only need to check the two output pins like you did in your video.

And later its also possible to make your track practically mono by reducing the width of your master send to 0.

Last edited by Eliseat; 05-06-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:19 AM   #10
Thonex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
I don't get it. Reaper doesn't mind if stereo or mono. If your source is mono or just one part of your fx chain, the track gets mono. It has nothing to do with trust or real or unreal mono. It is mono, if your signal gets routed thru a mono plugin. Just summed left and right.

If you are not sure about that you could insert a JS like witti mono_master before your reverb, which sums up your signal. Then you only need to check the two output pins like you did in your video.

And later its also possible to make your track practically mono by reducing the width of your master send to 0.
Hi Eliseat,

Thanks for your suggestion. My main concern is a mono-to-mono IR is different from a mono-to-stereo IR which also different from a stereo-to-stereo IR. When combining multi mic mixes I want to be sure that the plugin I'm using is summing the signal as intended.

Regarding using the width... Using the width would not be ideal if I'm trying to use a single channel IR, I would instead be combining 2 channels of IR into 1. That completely different and not the desired sound.

Cheers,

Andrew K

Last edited by Thonex; 05-07-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:46 AM   #11
MikComposer

Quote:
Hi Eliseat,

Thanks for your suggestion. My main concern is a mono-to-mono IR is different from a mono-to-stereo IR which also different from a stereo-to-stereo IR. When combining multi mic mixes I want to be sure that the plugin I'm using is summing the signal as intended.

Regarding using the width... Using the width would not be ideal if I'm trying to use a single channel IR, I would instead be combing 2 channels of IR into 1. That completely different and not the desired sound.

Cheers,

Andrew K
Hi,

Out of curiosity, could you tell me, give some examples, what is the purpose of having mono to mono especially, but also and mono to stereo? Still learning here! Thanks!
Old 05-07-2018, 09:25 AM   #12
Thonex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
Hi,

Out of curiosity, could you tell me, give some examples, what is the purpose of having mono to mono especially, but also and mono to stereo? Still learning here! Thanks!
This is a good link:

https://audioease.desk.com/customer/...ereo-to-stereo

They don't discuss mono-to-mono which is what I'm after... I want to add a little first reflection and ambiance to a single mono mic before I route it to a stereo reverb channel.

Cheers,

Andrew K

Last edited by Thonex; 05-07-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:51 AM   #13
Productionsfl

My workaround for this is using Plogue Bidule as a wrapper for two instances of Altiverb mono. This also enables me to have a more realistic stereo image of the reverb (to my ears anyway)
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at 08.49.41.png (51.8 KB, 202 views)