Old 01-19-2019, 12:23 AM   #1
Swi
Human being with feelings

Default Audio stretching over tempo changes

I am somewhat new to reaper but I seem to have an issue when I record some audio or render a synth part to audio and then later I put a tempo change somewhere in the middle of the file. I also have this issue when dropping samples into the session with a duration in time that crosses a tempo change. It seems the tempo at the end of the file has more persuasion over the entire file. It's as though the entire file gets stretched evenly to fit the time but the stretch is not proportional to the tempo at each bar.
I am starting to cut the audio in my sessions before I make the tempo change as a workaround but I am wondering if anyone has a custom action for this issue. Something like "Add stretch marker to all audio and insert tempo change ar edit cursor."
Is this what other people do? Or is there a setting that needs to be set so that stretching is proportional to the tempo?
Any advice is welcome.

The project track default for my template is set to beat time base on all tracks.

Thank you

Last edited by Swi; 01-19-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Swi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:01 AM   #2
Swi

Default Continued

Likewise when I drag in a piece of audio from the Media Browser to a project with more than a single tempo I have to drag the audio to a section of the project that has a static tempo then figure out how many bars of this chuck I need before the tempo change and cut it in the static tempo area and then place the now two pieces of audio on either side of the tempo change marker.

Is this just the way it works or is there a setting that will tell keep the audio at tempo in this instance?

Thank you.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #3
nofish

Your observations are correct I'd say.

An item has a single 'playrate' setting (adjustable e.g. in Item properties -> Playback rate) which applies to the entire item, meaning there's no automatic 'dynamic' playrate adjustment over tempo changes.

As you say you can get something similar (different play speeds at different portions of an item) using stretch markers or split the item in snippets so that each snippet gets its own different playrate.

As far as practical approaches (scripts, custom actions) for this, I don't know as I rarely deal with tempo changes myself tbh, so hopefully someone else has some ideas.
Or you may ask in the scripts forum:
https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:37 AM   #4
Swi

Default Thank you

My custom action for this is as follows

item: Select all items
item: Add stretch marker at cursor
item: Unselect all items
Tempo envelope: Insert tempo/time signature change marker at edit cursor

I do wish this was not necessary.

I guess I will need a "Move stretch markers with tempo/time signature marker" or similar in case I move the time change around.