Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-16-2018, 10:56 PM   #1
Stormchoir2000
Human being with feelings

Default Guitars play soft when playing their own melodies.

G'day everybody, how are you?
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but, this place is huge!!
This is my issue... when I have guitar left and guitar right playing the same stuff, everything is fine. When they play their own melody they just drop out and they sound so soft. I understand that any 2 instruments playing the same stuff will be louder, but how do I make the 2 different melodies sound the same fullness and volumes as the parts that are the same? If that makes sense.
Stormchoir2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:01 AM   #2
Judders

You could put both guitar tracks in a folder and automate the volume.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:18 AM   #3
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchoir2000 View Post
G'day everybody, how are you?
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but, this place is huge!!
This is my issue... when I have guitar left and guitar right playing the same stuff, everything is fine. When they play their own melody they just drop out and they sound so soft. I understand that any 2 instruments playing the same stuff will be louder, but how do I make the 2 different melodies sound the same fullness and volumes as the parts that are the same? If that makes sense.
You should give a sound example of what you mean. If only the sound is less full because the melodies use only one string vs. the accords use more strings, its obvious you have to adjust the level, compression, distortion per automation to level them up. You also could make it sound fatter if you double the melody with one octave lower or by playing another melody following just the bass.

There are many possibilities and tricks to avoid a decreasing of energy in certain areas of a song.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:54 AM   #4
martifingers

In addition to the other responses I wonder if some of this is due to the two tracks being panned (hard?) left and right. I am not sure if it's a psychoacoustic effect and obviously it may not be a solution to alter the panning mid-song so to speak, or would it?
martifingers is online now   Reply With Quote